Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Malleus and psykers

Started by seaglen, July 23, 2011, 12:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Hullo all. long time since ive posted, but I was just wondering if anyone could claify if all Ordo Malleus inquisitors are psykers. I am writing up a character for a friend, and he wants a Malleus inquisitor, but not a psyker. is this common? the thought occured to me, and i've not been able to find any info regarding whether or not there are inquisitors from the Ordo Malleus that have no psychic ability.

would this prove to be a vast disadvantage in heir role as demonhunters?
would there be any benefits to this?

many thanks.

MarcoSkoll

Yes, there are most definitely non-psychic Ordo Malleus.

In fact, in all the normal Ordos of the Inquisition, non-psykers will outnumber psykers - not only are mundane humans more plentiful, the distrust of psykers means that those who are trusted enough to hold the rank of Inquisitor will be rare indeed. (Even if some Black Library authors seem to treat psychic ability as if it's a prerequisite)

Non-psykers would benefit from being less bright in the warp (and thus harder for the daemons they hunt to see - although this is not actually covered in the rules). Obviously, they wouldn't have psychic attacks, but to risk opening your mind to the warp in the presence of a daemon takes a brave fool.

A non-psychic Inquisitor might have a psyker in his warband (and indeed, this arrangement is probably more normal than a psychic Inquisitor), or might place his faith in... well, faith.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

At the end of the day, there's plenty of demon hunting equipment (psycannon, runes, etc.) which have absolutely no requirement to be a psyker. 
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

N01H3r3

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 23, 2011, 12:44:08 AM
In fact, in all the normal Ordos of the Inquisition, non-psykers will outnumber psykers - not only are mundane humans more plentiful, the distrust of psykers means that those who are trusted enough to hold the rank of Inquisitor will be rare indeed. (Even if some Black Library authors seem to treat psychic ability as if it's a prerequisite)
While they are a distinct minority, the proportion of psykers to non-psykers within the Inquisition is much, much higher than it is almost anywhere else in the Imperium, but that's mainly a side-effect of there being so many Psykers (proportionately) in service to the Inquisition in the first place - virtually no other organisation employs psykers (other than Astropaths) so extensively (which in itself contributes to the reputation of the Inquisition - thanks to employing lots of telepaths and diviners, they can unearth secrets and evidence that even the most keen-eyed Verispex Technician or probing Chastener cannot find).
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.