Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Russian "Insurgents" Plus Friends - UPDATED with new models!

Started by Van Helser, July 19, 2011, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

I went on a bit of a bonanza on eBay a couple of weeks ago and purchased myself a set of the ever popular "Insurgents".  I also decided to take a punt on a set of 5 pirates, 6 cyborgs and 6 skeletons by the same manufacturer.  Here's one of each lined up with a converted Slick Devlan model:

The pirates scale up pretty well and will make good scum, or a Rogue Trader's crew.  Bizarrely, the skeletons are larger than people (must be the bones of ogres!), but I have plans to convert them into either daemons or some xenos creatures.  The cyborgs too are enormous, but why wouldn't the Adeptus Mechanicus implant people with bionics to improve them over normal men?  I think I may snip off an arm or two for use as bionics as well.

For a little over £5 a box, these guys really are worth it to fill up a board with NPCs. 

Ruaridh

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Those skeletons realy suit an idea I had for my "cult of hidden knowlege" as tekekenitikaly controlled statues (see here.
EDIT: sorry for the long link
EDIT2: thanks Marco
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

MarcoSkoll

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them! The Insurgents are pretty straightforward gangers, there's not a whole lot that needs doing to them, but I'm intregued to see where you take the other ones. Could we get scale snaps of the rest of the pirate set? I'm very curious as to how suitable they are for an upcoming plan...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Heroka Vendile

I've been eyeing up the pirates and cyborgs for a long time now, can't wait to see what you do with them.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

Sorry it's taken me a while to update this thread with these photos Rob - it's been a busy couple of weeks!

They're all pretty well spot on in terms of size.  40k weapons will go on easily, and with a wee bit of fiddling, the muskets could be converted to lasguns or shotguns with little trouble I think.

Ruaridh

judge-minos

can't wait to see what you will do with them, they are a little tall but look fine. how is the moulding ???

MarcoSkoll

I'm not sure they are that tall, because Slick is one of the smaller models in the range.
Of course, one solution if it bothers you is to use a thinner base - Heresy does bases about a millimetre thinner than GW does. Also, a lot cheaper, but that normally goes without saying.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

There are a couple of serious mould lines, but nothing that can't be tidied up.  The feet on these guys are far better proportioned than on the Insurgents, so I won't have to spend hours trimming them down!

Ruaridh

Van Helser

I have spent a wee bit of time over the last couple of days doing some minor conversion work to one of the pirates to get him into the 41st millennium.  With the simple addition of a head from the Chaos Henchman conversion pack, a knife from one of the IG conversion pack arms and some ProCreate padded flak armour, I think he's ready to be a scummer:

Seems the ProCreate doesn't show up too well... Should be cleared once I have him painted.  I have similar plans for the rest of the pirates.  May be a while before I get there though...

Ruaridh

wargame_insomniac

DapperAnarchist

Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

RobSkib

Dammit, now I want some pirate models!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Thanks to the rugby world cup, I've been having some very early mornings which I have been filling with productivity.  As Wales were pushing South Africa hard, I slapped some paint on my mutant pirate scum.  Not bad for 80 minutes work if I do say so myself!

I've posed him there with another of my NPCs for a better appreciation of scale (the Slick model used previously is a bit on the short side), and doesn't he look grand?

Just have to do something with the other four now!

Ruaridh

MrMasochist

Yeah i really like the result youve acheived there with the milliput and the weapon and head swap.

I will be emulating that on my own russian models that i have recently bought. If i could pick something to chance though i would be highlighting the brown of the armour and boots to really make the highlights on the black coat stand out. Black on brown is drab (unless the photo is not doing the paint justice) but highlighting the brown effectively can make it look its drab on purpose, which i assume it is (scummy pirate bastard...)

Otherwise its great (now only a bunch more to go lol...) looking forward to seeing how they all turn out. Really keen to see how the cyborg/pirate/insergent mashups go for bionics and so forth. I only have the insergents atm but i am keen to get the pirates now.

im going to work on my insergents tonight. gonna cut all the weapons off and carve out each guys chest and then replace the chest with armour similar to what you have added here (padded flak) and then replace weapons with a las pistol or lasgun (depending on pose) and i think they'll turn out ok.  Ill post the final result later anyway.

thanks for the inspiration

MrMasochist
To live in such times is to be one of untold billions...