Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Russian "Insurgents" Plus Friends - UPDATED with new models!

Started by Van Helser, July 19, 2011, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

I've actually already converted those skeletons into a squad of Necrons, of which i am excessivley proud (easily my greatest creations!). I never uploaded pictures of them on here, as i intended on using them for a Dark Magenta article (dave and I used them in a campaign we held), but now so much time has passed, I don't think i remember enough of the campign to make that article. May uploa the pictures on here soon, as it seems a shame not to share work that took me so long to make

(in other news, yes, i'm back somewhat, after a hecic first year of university!)

Van Helser

Now, when I tried to update this thread on Monday, the Conclave died.  This time I've made an offering to the Machine God and have some incense burning, so here's hoping this works...

Still there?

Woo!

As part of my quest to finish all my projects before starting any new ones (failed already, but I did want a new warband for the IGT!), I have revisited my roving band of pirate scum.

With some head swaps, a couple of weapon swaps and a little ProCreate I've transplanted the pirates to the 41st millennium.  Can't recommend these guys enough as mooks for your games.

Painted with Foundation Paints with the quickest of highlights before being smothered with Devlan Mud wash, there's not much technique on show, but for table fillers I think they'll blend in nicely.  Wouldn't want to distract from the PCs after all!

Lastly, an obligatory group shot of the scum that will become known as the Bilge Rotters (Carthax Wiki entry to come!):

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

Praise the machine spirit for allowing our forum to survive!

The models looks very good, some real proper disposable minions.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

TallulahBelle

where are you guys finding these, would love an insurgent for my warband.

Van Helser

Quote from: jediknight129 on March 08, 2012, 01:09:33 PM
where are you guys finding these, would love an insurgent for my warband.

Here's a current auction for some of the Insurgents on eBay.  They come from Russia - I haven't yet come across a seller based elsewhere.

Ruaridh

Kaled

They look great. I wasn't sure about the pirates at first, but you've really made them fit the 41st millennium. That last one looks especially good.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Draco Ferox

I really like the lenses on the gas masks of the insurgents, and that skin tone you've achieved looks fairly disturbing, which translates to great. Might have to pick up a box or two if they're going cheap, as mooks are always in need (though they do suffer from the law of inverse ninjas somewhat).

Lookig forward to seeing what you've done with the rest of the models.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

TallulahBelle

whacked a bid in then saw he had a set on buy it now dammit.

Van Helser

So, I went back to the Russian part of eBay, and found myself some even more impressive grunt models.  I purchased 5 Star Corsairs, 4 minotaurs and 5 Polar Troops.  Also available are: Paladins, Centaurs and Dwarves (or "Fighting Gnomes" as they're listed!).  Clearly, the Corsairs will make excellent Commissars or troops along the lines of the Terrax Guard and the Polar Troops are simple guardsmen.  The minotaurs I hope to make beastmen from.  These are more pricey than the pirates and insurgent models at about £8 a box, but paints and a brush are included.  The paints are acrylic, but I don't expect too much from them.  I may just be presently surprised however and will give them a trial run.  The brush is more suited to portraits than miniatures though!

Pict captures:

Polar Troops

Rear

Space Corsairs

Rear

Minotaurs:

Rear

And an obligatory scale shot with one of the pirates and a Slick model:

The most pleasing part of the Corsairs and Polar Troops is the numerous pipes/weapon feeds and power packs - it really ties them to the 41st millennium.  I don't think much conversion will be needed to really settle these guys into the Inquisitor universe.  I will probably alter the weapons slightly to make them look more Imperial, but that's about it.

The minotaurs aren't as great as I hoped - they're a bit too square for my liking, and the open mouths look comical rather than intimidating.   The hooves are rather too big too.  Still, with some converting I'm sure I'll get a decent beastman out of one or two of them.

I'm just annoyed that I probably won't get to work on these guys for weeks - however some gentle converting and painting may be perfect for recuperating my soon to be operated on shoulder.  Or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Ruaridh

Brother_Brimstone

I was literally JUST about to post my pics of these models! They arrived in the post this morning, and I got all excited, pic'd them, and uploaded them to photobucket, excited to share these new developments with the rest of the 'clave. Unfortuynately it seems someone beat me to the punch! :p

Still, i've got some pictures of the amusingly named 'battle gnomes' (including a scale pic!) and the 'wizards' and 'knights' sets here (alongisde the guardsmen ones you've got there.

Apparently great minds shop alike :p

Van Helser

Time for a small update - I've made a beastman from the minotaur featured in scale shot in my previous post.

I did a small amount of converting, replacing his sword with Malicant's eviscerator, gave him a bag of ork stikkbombs, trimmed his hooves and swapped the horns for a couple of curly numbers.  Oh, and he got an extra finger on each hand to give him the correct number! He was painted quickly, using mainly washes:

Before paint:

After paint:

Rear

I'm moderately happy with the model as an NPC.  I had thought about adding him to my new Xanthite warband, but the model's a little too cartoony for my liking.  I may end up using this chap from the BaneLords range.  Their stuff is seriously good if you haven't checked them out before.

As for the other NPCs in this thread, watch this space...

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

Wow, the beastman looks really good, for a moment I was thinking that I was looking at a normal beastman model, it is hard to see that it is a converted 54mm model, an astounding job really.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Shannow

Looks really good, I can't help but think that a few added syringes digging into him would look great, but still very good :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Van Helser

How embarrassing: it's been eighteen months since I bought the first batch of these figures, and eight months since I last updated this thread.  I always get distracted by new projects!

Anyhow, I have actually painted the Insurgent models the thread was named after in the first place.  I made a couple of simple changes, not least cutting down those damn clown feet, and painted these guys up fairly basically.  I experimented with a few new skin tones for practice for good measure.

I'll try not to be too tardy with the next update, but as I'm moving house soon, that promise shouldn't be taken too seriously!

Ruaridh

Van Helser

The next group to present are the zombies from the "Hunting for the Zombie" set.  Awesome I know.

Brother_Brimstone has used these guys to make half-zombie characters, so I decided to concentrate on the techier elements of the models and paint them up as cyborgs.  I did a few conversions to the rather lazily designed weapons they were carrying to arm them with some more 41st millennium looking guns.  They also have a nasty surprise for the PCs that may run into them in the future... jump packs!

I see these guys as "elite" goons.  I deliberately didn't give them any insignia as, as they stand, they could be hive scum, Imperial Guard drop troops, traitor guardsmen, a heretek's cadre, or even Inquisitorial shock troops.

Ruaridh