Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Witchhunter, Radical, Rogue Trader, Spy - character discussion

Started by Keravin, July 22, 2011, 03:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keravin

I think the plan with Nathin is that he would very much like to only turn up when he absolutely had to, but recent events have led to loss of acolytes so he's back to getting his hands dirty than he might wish and trying to rebuild his networks.

As we're getting closer to the Inqvitational I'm now getting to the stage of finalising background and stats.   We're not using the Expanded armoury this time so I'm stripping out those bits taken from there this time.

Here is the updated background and stats etc for Tybalt.   

Origins

Born with psychic ability to an insignificant family on a minor world in the Farlon system Tybalt was taken at an early age when a routine scan found his ability. Once on the Black ships he was seemingly fast tracked and then placed in the Scholastica Psykana. There he was raised and become a Banisher, training under Inquisitor Jerimas Karjan.

Training and life with Inquisitor Karjan

As Tybalt was taken under Karjan's instruction at a relatively early age, his initial training took place in between Karjan's missions.   Tybalt would accompany Karjan on board his various vessels and be instructed, not only by Karjan, but also his various retinue members.  Every so often Tybalt would accompany Karjan's Savant Mortemer along to a social gathering that Karjan was attending and would be instructed to observe and report back.   In this manner Karjan sought to educate the boy not only in the physical elements of an Inquisitor's life, but also some of the political and social aspects as well.    Mortemer and Tybalt became close as part of this routine and it is during this period that they started to develop their shorthand and sign language which enabled them to have fairly complex discussions without recourse to telepathy or much speech, whilst also allowing opinions to be passed innocuously. 

As he grew older Tybalt was allowed out into the field, first as part of Karjan's own retinue, then later as Interrogator he was given the authority to run his own team under Karjan's command.   When he set up his own team he requested that Mortemer be assigned to him.    Of the others from this early command only Mortemer and Dariel Geneso survive as members of his current retinue.

Eventually Tybalt was deemed worthy to progress to the rank of Inquisitor and set up on his own with a few resources gifted from his former master, such as the vessel Retribution Star.   

A Broken heart?

Tybalt became involved with Sister Aella, later Sister Superior, who was also one of Karjan's acolytes, whilst both were still in their Master's entourage. Tybalt suspects that Karjan arranged the start of the relationship or made it possible to try and strengthen his religious fervour.

The relationship continued once both left Karjan's influence and as both were promoted.    When Tybalt took in his current interrogator he put her under Aella's tutelage for a while to give her a different perspective to his own as well as to see her receive exemplary combat training.

Aella was killed a few years ago and this has made Tybalt more concerned for his interrogator/apprentice Serren, whilst at the same time less so for himself. He is now taking on tasks that he might not have previously pursued.

The Hunt for Inquisitor Nathin

It was Geneso's crew that started Tybalt onto Inquisitor Nathin's path when they came across mysterious psychic energy on Tigeron IV in the Borderworlds.    Tybalt met up with his acolytes on the unremarkable world and came across the remnants of a ritual as well as traces of the warp.  He has yet to be able to conclusively prove that the events on Tigeron IV are the work of Nathin, but very shortly afterwards Tybalt followed the last embers of this warp trace to the Mantinanus system and the tale of Lady Ismene.    Now he definitely had a name to go with these dangerous tactics and Tybalt took in Saul Kraye to help locate this radical.

They are now following Nathin on the basis of collecting information, trying to get ahead of potential radical activity and to see whether there is grounds for declaring him Excommunicate Traitoris.

His relationship with his associates/Warband

Mortemer has been with him since he became an Interrogator. They established a form of sign language to be able to pass information/areas of concern etc between themselves whilst in the company of others. Serren, Geneso and usually the leaders of the other acolyte bands have been taught this same skill. None of the others in his current band have been with him long enough, nor are trusted enough to have been taught so far.

Geneso is his most trusted lieutenant with his own command, regularly going dark for months before returning with either the solution to a problem Tybalt did not know of or some sliver of information that helps with a current situation.

Tybalt is also trying to build up a retinue for Serren so that she might operate on her own having so far recruited Taril Camiron as a likely acolyte to place with her.    However he has put so much effort into establishing his networks that he is currently surrounded by a group that he not operated as a unit for very long at all.
Approach and Philosophy

Tybalt has long since tried to avoid the factions. Could be seen as an Amalathian, but is steadfast in refusing to be categorised. Certainly puritan in his approach.     His current pursuit of Nathin is pushing him to take a firm stance against the radicals though this is largely because he sees sloppy methods are causing more destruction in their wake.    Certainly his recent encounter with Adorno has done nothing to dissuade him from his stance and Kraye continues to press him to help rescue his lady.   When they finally come face to face with the Huntress it will be interesting to see whether the facade of Lady Ismene's former spotless existence continues to hold.

Data Records

Long Overdue: Tybalt, whilst pursuing a lead that he hoped would lead to Nathin, clashed with Inquisitor Theodor Adorno over a number of proscribed texts. The outcome of the battle was inconclusive, though Tybalt was able to escape with the book Adorno was seeking. Interrogator Serren was forced to have her legs regrown after an encounter with one of Adorno's retinue.

Auspex, Stubber, 2 clips,  mesh lined robes, Filtration plugs
The Hammer of St Agustinel (Anointed Force hammer) - Daemonic characters gain no benefits from any daemonic attributes when struck by an Anointed weapon, although it does not confer the damage bonus for Shadow or Void-chill. A critical against a daemonic character by an anointed weapon will cause damage one injury level greater than normal after all other modifications. (Increase damage by the minimum needed to achieve this). Finally, a character using a daemon weapon that is parried by or parries a strike from an anointed weapon must pass a strength test or drop their weapon as its purity courses through them.
Sign language, Psyniscience
Psychic Abilities – Banishment, Distraction

WS 62  BS 58  S 54   T 55   Init 71   WP 79   Sag 66   Nerve 73   Ld 82

I've increased his nerve as I thought the original value of 53 was too low for an Inquisitor, and I've also given him another psychic ability to accompany Banishment as he was a one trick pony that was great if there is any daemonic presence, but not someone to get that involved otherwise. 

Keravin

Now I'm working on the new warband for dualscale I have been doing the character creation alongside the painting as I find doing them in tandem means I have a better idea of character and using the painting process to unlock things I might not have considered about the character.

First focus is obviously the Inquisitrix.   I have her 28mm version sorted and will be building her 54mm version once I get a bit of cash to get a new Daemonhuntress model to convert.

I think the character is getting to where I want her, but not entirely sure on the use of Lightning reflexes and wonder if I'd be better raising her Initiative.   I also need to try and lockdown exactly what I want to do about her armament.  By necessity she will be armed slightly differently at the different scales, but I think that works well with her hunter background.

Inquisitrix Kyia Cardainn – Ordo Xenos

Kyia was raised on the pilgrimage world of Dinosia by her parents, two former pilgrims who had settled there.   Her upbringing was very much influenced by the passions of pilgrims and a strong religious base which has helped fuel Kyia's purpose and focus.    She showed aptitude for hunting at an early age on the largely rural world and so looked for a way to broaden her skills.  Eventually she signed on with a bounty hunter crew learning to hunt man as well as beast.   

She was recruited by Inquisitor Pendeira to assist in hunting down a Genestealer cult on Lantos VI using her skills.   Following this she was recruited to act as a member of the Inquisitor's network of operatives, initially working alongside Novitate Gauer.   Eventually Kyia was raised up to Pendeira's core retinue where she served her mistress for about two decades.    Pendeira was taken by the dichotomy of the former bounty hunter and sought to educate her in the wider Imperium.   Kyia was raised up to become Pendeira's Novitate and began to assemble her own network to work for her mistress.

That network has changed from the days of serving Pendeira, largely as Kyia has changed the focus of her work.   Crooked –Ear has been with her since her bounty hunter days and was recruited as one of her first operatives when setting up her own retinue.   

Kyia is a hunter.   That was her focus prior to joining Inquisitor Pendeira's network and her skills and those of her retinue are focused on tracking whatever needs to be found down whether physically or via data trails.  As an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor she has focused on tracking down threats to the Imperium and removing them.   As a Amalathian Purist she looks to remove sources of corruption whilst minimising any damage.   She considers herself a finely honed tool to deal with cancers.   Collateral damage is unacceptable, but she has been known to remove the morally compromised including nobility, particularly in her early days as an Inquisitor.

Her retinue generally take the role of drivers during a hunt walking festooned with banners etc to present a big enough distraction to either drive the prey onwards or act as a target.   Kyia is aware of the location and physical condition of her retinue at all times whilst on a hunt so that if one is attacked she can move to take care of the prey.

Whilst ostensibly a member of the Dalthan Conclave she has travelled widely and has strong connections to the Imperial Navy.  Indeed a former Commodore of the Dalthan Imperial Fleet acts as one of her trusted advisors enabling her to move quickly when the need arises.   Her travels though keep her from making many longstanding true contacts as she very quickly moves on when her need to be in one place has been dealt with, plus in her earlier days she was far more willing to take forceful action to remove corruption.   However much like her her contacts tend to be transient.   She is also highly religious and in addition to the Imperial Navy she maintains very good relations with the Ecclesiarchy, through her own work and also that of her network.

Skills –
Big Game Hunter: Long nights spent moving between the canopies of death worlds, or stalking a lone Grunak across the ash plains, the character is adept at picking on something several times its own size.   Against anything considerably larger than himself, or anything the GM deems would give the character a considerable trophy if the character can bring it down, the character gains Blademaster, Deadeye Shot and Force of Will against that target.

WS 63   BS 67   S 46    T 55    Init  72    WP 64     Sag 60    Nerve 69    Ld 71

Equipment:
Light carapace – all locations except head – Av5
Gasmask
Life sign and location monitors for all active retinue members.

Then for Inq28
Long – Las rifle with scope
Blessed sword (Master crafted special rule, auto crits characters considered of evil intent (GM discretion), and immunity to being destroyed by power weapons)

At Inq54
Repeater Crossbow
Power Halberd

I'd appreciate some thoughts.   As I said this is still being fleshed out, particularly as I work on the other characters.

MarcoSkoll

I'd say I 52 is unusually low for a "field" Inquisitor, someone likely to be fairly keen of sense and quick of mind; it's not a career which is kind on those without such virtues. It's also a little odd for a character with tracking skills.
I think a higher I would fit better than Lightning Reflexes - I can see there's circumstances where a (bounty) hunter could reasonably have such a thing, but her background doesn't hugely give the impression of having that kind of reactive speed.

As a final note on stats, having mental stats below 60 is probably also a bit out of place - Inquisitors are seldom anything other than a strong and intelligent personality.

Armour-wise, I would definitely say that her model(s) merit more than flak armour. I'd say her 28mm model probably merits a mix of AV4 and 5, and the 54mm one deserves at least AV 5 (I've seen the Daemonhuntress used for anything between light carapace and power armoured Battle Sisters).  If the two models are supposed to represent the same suit of armour, AV 5 to most locations would probably be a fair compromise.

A change of equipment is a nice way to give the character variety (I'm considering alternative models for some of my characters, depending on the circumstances)... but is she really meant to have a Force Halberd, given she's not a psyker?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Keravin

Meant power halberd as clearly not a psyker.  I'll revise the stats up.  I usually stat low first pass.

Keravin

Ok these are going to be rougher as I try and get basic handle on characters ahead of saturday given free time is dwindling to nothing.

Crooked Ear

Born and raised as a Ratskin.
Worked with Kyia as a bounty hunter.    He was her first recruit to join her retinue when she was instructed to build her own group to work for Inquisitor Pendeira.
Hates Slavers.
More lenient than Kyia towards Xenos.   He views his work as practical rather than driven by any zeal.   
In fact he still follows older ways of worship coming from a shaman focused upbringing.   Given Kyia's network has more fervent religious members in it he keeps this quiet, though he visibly carries some tokens such as skulls etc.   He passes these off as just trinkets of his old life if asked about them.
He is far more comfortable in urban environments and his preferred weapon is a shotgun, though he is not adverse to silent work if the need arises.

WS 46   BS 58  S 52   T 61   I 63  WP 54  SG 37   Nv 56   Ld 48
Skills:  Tracker, urban raised (+15 on stealth and perception rolls in urban environment), Hip shooting

Flak armour - chest, abdomen, groin
mesh armour - arms and legs

Shotgun, autopistol, stubber, mace

Thoughts and I'll post the others up shortly.

Keravin

ok then the next one which just leaves two to be finalised.

The Keeper of names –

Those who have met Kyia on a number of occasions are somewhat confused by the Keeper of names.   Sometimes the Keeper has different bionic limbs, sometimes his eye is a different type of bionic, sometimes a different side.   As very few people actually converse with the Keeper it is unknown if this is the same individual at all times.

The truth is there are a number of Keeper of Names cloned from the original.   Which one is the original seems to be lost to all but Kyia and Crooked Ear.

The Keeper carries with it the Book of Kills.   This book always contains the same information no matter which Keeper carries it, but is used to keep a record of the actions of Inquistrix Cardaiin and a litany of sermons and parables that she or her spiritual advisors might refer to in prayers.    The books are clearly different as evidenced by their condition, but it is unclear if the exact nature of the written text, including calligraphy, is connected to the cloned nature of the Keepers.

In terms of her retinue Kyia uses the Keepers to announce her presence, act as lures when on a hunt, but also to provide technical knowledge to her.

Ws 44   Bs 48   S 40  T 50   I 56  WP 52   Sg 77   Nv 43   Ld 39

Machine Empathy, Nerve +20% against terrifying and fearsome
Bionics - Average mechanical arms – St 40 – armour +1
Bionic head – armour +2
Average bionic eyes
Mechandrite tendrils
Carapace armour - 6

Bioscanner, Laspistol (28mm), Flamer and Tendrils (54mm), Book of Kills, Filtration Plugs

Any thoughts on this one?