Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Witchhunter, Radical, Rogue Trader, Spy - character discussion

Started by Keravin, July 22, 2011, 03:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keravin

For those who haven't seen I'm building a group of warbands of different persuasions.   The modelling side can be found in the topic - http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1611.0

This topic will be me getting feedback on the actual characters.   Whilst the focus of modelling so far has been on the Rogue Trader band I'm actually doing most of the work on the Witchhunters as they will be the ones to be taken to a game next year.

All the warbands are getting over the normal 4 figures built to give a variety of play options and also to add extra interlinking amongst the characters.

The Witchhunters therefore consist of:

Lynch - The Witchhunter
Uriah - The Pariah - human ganger wasting away every time he's forced to use his ability.
Callidion - Ex Arbitrator
Malakai - Gunfighter, still after all these years trying to open Lynch's eyes up to pragmatism.
Father Jericus - Priest
Sister Jezaiil - Sister Repentia
Magnos Ignace - Tech Priest

Keravin

Lynch hails from the Amalathian ethos of Order Hereticus.   He assumed the name Lynch when he joined Inquisitor Catriona Kyas as an initiate.   His family are a noble trading house who operated from       Prime.   "Lynch" came into Catriona's view when he undertook an investigation of cult activity amongst the upper echelons, including some members of that planet's Adeptus Arbites.   Young "Lynch" warned Catriona of an imminent attack and the Inquisitor was impressed by the boy's strength of purpose despite his young age.

Taken from his family his training began in both scholarly and more practical instruction.    In time Lynch was put in charge of his own group of acolytes carrying forward the Inquisitor's, and of course the Emperor's, will.    One of the acolytes he worked with was Malakai, a gunfighter who had joined Catriona many years before.    Lynch still has the tendency to see rights and wrongs and may at times have been a little heavy handed in his approach.    Malakai has raised concerns both with Lynch and Catriona about a lack of understanding of the greys in situations, which maybe the reason that when Lynch was made a full Inquisitor Malakai left the employ of his former Inquisitor to join the newly ordained Lynch.

Lynch follows the Amalathian way of thinking.   Calm the fires and slow change, should change even be necessary at all.    Malakai would argue that Lynch's simplistic views are because he has had little contact with that which might truly unsettle his views.   On his more open conversations the gunfighter would suggest that maybe the child that Catriona recruited might not have grown up yet.

In the field Lynch usually leaves it to Callidon, Malakai and Father Jericus to investigate, preferring to enter the situation when he might purposefully move towards the solution.   His armour has been modified so that he might preach the Word of the Emperor loudly and clearly.   He wears neither hat nor hood so that those around might clearly see the face of one loyal to the Golden Throne.

Recently it has come to his attention that his family are moving trading opportunities into the sector he is assigned to.   It is likely he may come into the contact with the family he left behind for the Emperor's Service.   For their sake let them be on the right side.

WS 48  BS 64  S 54 T 55  Init 53  WP 66  Sag 51  Nerve 76  Ld 82
Skills:  Leader, Word of The Emperor
Equipment:  Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Magistratum Combat Carapace (AV8)

Uriah
WS 45  BS 53  S 36 T 42  Init 32  WP 35  Sag 30  Nerve 36  Ld 25
Skills:  True Grit, Pariah
Equipment: Sawn off Shotgun

Being eaten away as he comes into contact with things that make him use his ability.   Terrified of Lynch and being forced to put himself into situations.   Hates psykers and daemons seeing them as the cause of his pain.

Callidon
WS 56  BS 46  S 57 T 68  Init 53  WP 54  Sag 60  Nerve 71  Ld 64
Skills:  Rock Steady aim
Equipment: Automatic Combat shotgun, Naval pistol, Carapace

Ex Arbitrator - Lynch's Hammer.   From a shrine world

Malakai
WS 46  BS 74  S 48 T 54  Init 50  WP 55  Sag 48  Nerve 53  Ld 57
Skills:  Gunfighter
Equipment: Two pistols – high quality, need to determine exactly what type.   Carapace

Previously worked for Lynch's Mistress and joined him when he was accorded Inquisitor status.   Thinks that Lynch is simplistic in his viewpoint of rights and wrongs sometimes.    Veteran of many investigations.

Sister Jezaiil
WS 73  BS 61  S 60 T 62  Init 54  WP 46  Sag 34  Nerve 78  Ld 42
Skills:  Force of Will
Equipment: Best Craftsmanship Eviscerator

Seeking penance in battle and death.    The only way to redeem herself.

Magnos Ignace
WS 42  BS 45  S 66 T 62  Init 61  WP 78  Sag 76  Nerve 62  Ld 66
Skills:  None chosen yet
Equipment: Las pistol, Bionic arm (Avg Str 40, +1 armour), Bionic Eye (Avg), Auspex

Unusually for the group not a religious man in the same sense as the others.   Following instructions from the Adeptus Mechanicus and looking for artifacts.

Father Jericus
Not sorted his stats or skills yet.
Equipment: Carapace, Warhammer, las pistol, Autogun

The well travelled priest.   Views Uriah as a project – get him to see his role in serving the Emperor.   The autogun is a weapon of last resort.   Far better to deliver zeal, much like his Master.

Keravin

I've had a bit of feedback on some other forums.

Lynch - Give him mastercrafted chainsword.   Change his armour to just being body and arms with lower level of armour on his legs.

Callidon - raise his BS.

Malakai - Look at giving him a skill to represent his experience - Grizzled: Treats Terrifying as Fearsome; Ignores Terrifying.    Try and figure out what to use his pistols to represent.

Jezaiil - look at maybe using the bodyguard rules to tie her better in with Lynch.   Maybe lose the Force of Will though my reading of Repentia is no way back.

Ignace - Work on what the gadget in his hand represents.   Tie it in with his agenda.

Jericus - switch his armour to a flak vest and robes.   I'm half tempted to make him a medic.

Past that I've managed to type up Uriah's background which I hope shows what I'm trying to do with the Pariah.

Uriah's background.

Uriah was born whilst his mother was on a pilgrimage ship. His mother had been journeying to the shrine world of Hiralta IV and she never told him who his father was, probably due to shame. Uriah was never considered special, but the hypothesis goes that his condition is a result of the warp. Lynch has been known to talk of how he sees Uriah as a hole in the universe. What happened though was that Uriah never came into contact with anything that would have activated his own 'ability' for many years.

Damage to the pilgrimage ship deposited the travellers on the Hiveworld Elexis VI where Uriah left along with other youngsters and got into thievery and became a gang member. So he lived for a few years until he encountered the Inquisitor.

Lynch encountered Uriah whilst pursuing a rogue psyker known as Terad. The hunt had delved into the depths of the hiveworld and, as Lynch and his acolytes closed in, the action had wandered into Uriah's gang's territory. Uriah fell to his knees as Terad came closer as his own nature clashed with the power of the psyker. As the pain built within Uriah he lashed out and a void washed over Terad. Uriah fell to the ground as the energy returned to him, his arm beginning to shrivel as if the life had been ripped from it. The telepath dealt with Lynch had Uriah dragged in for testing and has forced the ex ganger to accompany him ever since.

Jericus the Priest has tried to raise up this poor unfortunate to see his role in serving the Emperor. It is however his fear of Lynch that drives him far more than anything. His body is being slowly eaten away as he comes into contact with things that make him use his ability.

Uriah is not one who rushes head on into danger. It is usually the fervour of his companions or fear that they might turn on him that pushes him onwards. He does however have a hatred for the psykers and daemons who his ability interacts with, seeing them as the cause of his pain rather than those who push him into contact with them. A chance to stop them coming is to be taken if only to stop his wasting body being pushed into another painful pursuit.

Comments would be very welcome.

Darksinger

these look... above average. For a basic start, they are ver good. Always room for improvment.

Also, according to the wargear, Uriah is holding a sawn-off, and standing in the nude.

I sggest givig him Flak, prehaps re-inforced Flak.

Also, i would note down the number of magazines/cartridges/equivilent of whatever weapons you are carrying. Unlimited ammo is cheating.

Lastly, Lynch's pistols are very odd looking. I would Suggest Needle Pistols, or if you want more direct damage instead of subtle poisoning, Make them a High-Magnum Revolver or Magnum Stubbers.

Also, as a Side note, i'd love to see my Alien Merc+Radical Xenos inquisitor warband in action against yours. Probably never going to happen, but still.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Darksinger on July 28, 2011, 11:50:16 PMAlso, according to the wargear, Uriah is holding a sawn-off, and standing in the nude.
Not everyone has to have armour!

QuoteLastly, Lynch's pistols are very odd looking.
Lynch has only got the one pistol, and it's clearly a bolt pistol. I assume you mean Malakai? Those could be obscure laspistol variants (perhaps even heirlooms or archaeotech).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Darksinger

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 29, 2011, 12:05:43 AM
Quote from: Darksinger on July 28, 2011, 11:50:16 PMAlso, according to the wargear, Uriah is holding a sawn-off, and standing in the nude.
Not everyone has to have armour!

QuoteLastly, Lynch's pistols are very odd looking.
Lynch has only got the one pistol, and it's clearly a bolt pistol. I assume you mean Malakai? Those could be obscure laspistol variants (perhaps even heirlooms or archaeotech).

Not everyone has to have armour, true. But a gy who's falling apart? I'd want him to have as much armour as possible lest he be ripped to shreds by bullet fire. At any rate, the model has Cadian Flak armour, by the looks of things.

And yes, i meant Malakai. The reason I suggested the weapons i did is because laspistols are very variable. I didn't want to go fidling with paticular options as suestions or anything. Laspistols work too.

Oh, and Marco, Please have a look at my Latest Thread. I need some ideas, and you seem to be the go-to guy.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Darksinger on July 29, 2011, 12:11:47 AMNot everyone has to have armour, true. But a guy who's falling apart?
Even flak armour is heavy, which might simply be too much a physically withered person, and he might simply prefer to take cover. Also, I can't actually see much of Cadian Flak on him - shoulders, and perhaps a fairly lightweight helmet.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Keravin

Thanks for the comments.

I hadn't sorted all equipment because as these were my first build I wanted to get the stats and armament basically sorted before I went on with the rest.   Very clear I don't want to go overboard.   So yeah probably a clip or two for most, except maybe Callidon and Malakai who I imagine come very well equipped.

Uriah I can't see getting much armour.   His head's changed on the model so he's even losing his helmet.   I think there's an almost sadistic viewpoint from Lynch and his band to have Uriah go forth and do his duty without much armour.   So yes much hugging of cover if things go bad and being commanded to get closer to the daemon etc.   Fits in with his character and his role in the warband.   Plus as has been pointed out he's not very strong so will probably still just wear what he was able to get hold of as a ganger.

Malakai's guns I'm still looking around for something to represent their uniqueness.   They're clearly a focal point for the model.

Statwise is there anything that needs looking at?

Darksinger

If such is the case, I reccomend gving Uriah the following armour-

Leather Vest- 2pts, Chest, Abdomen.
Leather Paudrons- 1pt, Arms
Leather Combat Trousers- 2pts, Legs, Groin.

Not much armour, vunerable to his head getting blown open, but enough to give him some degree of protection. And to stop him falling apart straight away.

-------------

I would give Malakai Fast Draw, as well as Gunfighter, If he's got such a high BS he has obviously been training alot, and drawing your weapons is easy enough to learn if you give it a go.

I would have though Sister Jezzail would have a higher S value if she's carrying an eviscerator. They are very heavy, two handed chainsowrds, so 70-72 isn't unrealistic if she's been using it for a long time. If its a new peice of wargear to her, leave it as-is.

As for Malakai's pistols...
Heres a little suggestion For you.
----------------------------------

Malakai's Fangs. (weapon pair)

These two pistols were custom made by A weaponsmith who owes Malakai a debt. They are easily as powerful as a Magnum-Stubber, But with built in Recoil Supressrs, Lengthier Magazines and With extended Barrels for greater accuracy ad Range.

Type     Range     Mode(s)     Acc      Dmg       Mag     Rld      Enc     Spcl
Pistol    C            Single        +5%    3D6+3    9         2         25      Snc
Snc: Silenceable. A Silencer may be added to the weapon for +5 Enc. Silenced weapons can only be heard at 20% of the normal hearing range (I.E, 4inches away). The scilencer may be removed or added on in battle, which takes 2 actions

Keravin

Ok going through this as I start to finish models to represent the characters.

Lynch hails from the Amalathian ethos of Order Hereticus.   He assumed the name Lynch when he joined Inquisitor Catriona Kyas as an initiate.   His family are a noble trading house who operated from       Prime.   "Lynch" came into Catriona's view when he undertook an investigation of cult activity amongst the upper echelons, including some members of that planet's Adeptus Arbites.   Young "Lynch" warned Catriona of an imminent attack and the Inquisitor was impressed by the boy's strength of purpose despite his young age.

Taken from his family his training began in both scholarly and more practical instruction.    In time Lynch was put in charge of his own group of acolytes carrying forward the Inquisitor's, and of course the Emperor's, will.    One of the acolytes he worked with was Malakai, a gunfighter who had joined Catriona many years before.    Lynch still has the tendency to see rights and wrongs and may at times have been a little heavy handed in his approach.    Malakai has raised concerns both with Lynch and Catriona about a lack of understanding of the greys in situations, which maybe the reason that when Lynch was made a full Inquisitor Malakai left the employ of his former Inquisitor to join the newly ordained Lynch.

Lynch follows the Amalathian way of thinking.   Calm the fires and slow change, should change even be necessary at all.    Malakai would argue that Lynch's simplistic views are because he has had little contact with that which might truly unsettle his views.   On his more open conversations the gunfighter would suggest that maybe the child that Catriona recruited might not have grown up yet.

In the field Lynch usually leaves it to Callidon, Malakai and Father Jericus to investigate, preferring to enter the situation when he might purposefully move towards the solution.   His armour has been modified so that he might preach the Word of the Emperor loudly and clearly.   He wears neither hat nor hood so that those around might clearly see the face of one loyal to the Golden Throne.    He has a hatred for psykers and uses the pariah he has come into contact as if Uriah were simply a tool.  He would certainly shed no tears at the loss of the warp tainted creature.    Jericus is probably the one he is closest to, despite Lynch having acquired a bodyguard in the form of Sister Jezaiil.   Jericus and to some extent Malakai are the only ones he really has any loyalty towards.   Malakai may in some respects be right in that by his very upbringing Lynch suffers from a lack of personal skills whereby he uses his very forceful personality to get the resolution he wants rather than negotiating or another way forward.   He is currently a very blunt tool.

Recently it has come to his attention that his family are moving trading opportunities into the sector he is assigned to.   It is likely he may come into the contact with the family he left behind for the Emperor's Service.   For their sake let them be on the right side.

WS 48  BS 64  S 55 T 56  Init 53  WP 67  Sag 51  Nerve 78  Ld 82
Lynch is right handed.
Skills:  Leader, Word of The Emperor
Equipment:  Bolt Pistol with 2 reloads plus 1 clip of Inferno rounds and 1 of Wych bolts, Mastercrafted Chainsword, Magistratum Combat Carapace (AV8 – body and arms), Heavy coat on legs, Knife, loud speaker built into the armour.

Keravin

fter a really crap week I've not done any painting or modelling.   My LGS is in the mdist of hopefully sorting out a new playing space and I'll be one of the people running it, which hopefully means I may be able to play some INQ28 locally as a couple of my Warmachine players are interested in playing.

What I have been working on for a bit is character ideas - both background and stat wise.   I'll put these up in blocks to get some suggestions to get them refined.      As I'm still new to Inquisitor thoughts and comments are very welcome.   So the 3 core members of Tybalt's puritans including Serren who is the finished acolyte.

Inquisitor Tybalt - Psyker Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - Puritan
Auspex, pistol, mesh lined robes, anointed hammer
Sign language, Psyniscience,
Psychic Abilities – Banishment/Destroy daemon

WS 62  BS 58  S 47   T 55   Init 71   WP 86   Sag 54   Nerve 53   Ld 82

Born with psychic ability Tybalt was taken at an early age when a routine scan found his ability.   Taken to the Black ships he was seemingly fast tracked and then placed in the Scholastica Psykana.
Raised and become a Banisher, training under Inquisitor Karjan.
Became involved with Sister Aella, later Sister Superior, who was also one of Karjan's acolytes.
Tybalt suspects Karjan arranged the start of the relationship or made it possible to try and strengthen his religious fervour
Aella was killed and this has made Tybalt more concerned for his interrogator/apprentice Serren, but less so for himself.
He is now taking on tasks that he might not have previously pursued.
Started onto Nathin's path following up on mysterious psychic energy on (Need planet name)
The trail led him to (planet name again – this is where the lady who is the daemonhost comes from) and the tale of Lady Ismene
Recruited Kraye there
They are now following Nathin on the basis of collecting information and to see whether there is grounds for declaring him
Mortemer has been with him since he became an Interrogator.   They established a form of sign language to be able to pass information/areas of concern etc between themselves whilst in the company of others.   Serren has been taught this same skill.   None of the others in his current band have been with him long enough, nor are so far trusted enough to have been taught so far

Serren  - Interrogator, Ordo Malleus – left handed
Bolt pistol, flak armour (except head), blessed sword (Master crafted special rule, auto crits characters considered of evil intent (GM discretion), and immunity to being destroyed by power weapons), Psykana mercy blade
Psyniscience, Sign Language
Psychic abilities: Speak truth, punish mind

WS 54   BS 61   S 46  T 57  Init 62  WP 82   Sag 52  Nerve 61   Ld 60
Her father was a Lieutenant in the 32nd Sabriel mechanised and Serren was placed into the Schola Progenium to be raised.   A routine scan identified her psychic potential and like Tybalt she was taken to the Black Ships.   
Enunciator psyker
Taken in by Tybalt for training, particularly because of her telepathy.
Tybalt took in Serren to try and replicate his training and upbringing.   Trained by the Sororitas under Sister Superior Aella - if Tybalt is her father figure then Sister Aella would be considered the mother.   Wears the gauntlets in honour of her tutor.
She is extremely dedicated to him, though sometimes feels he holds her back, particularly after Aella's death.
However more recently she has been tasked with leading investigations on her own as Tybalt looks to see whether her skills are forming under his tutelage.
More religious than Tybalt
Not yet cultivated any acolytes who work specifically with her.

Mortemer - Savant - Lector
Cybernetics, laspistol
Sign language, Skills wise I'm thinking skill boosts either on identifying weaknesses, ability to relay information quickly, or nerve boosts against fearsome and terrifying (don't want to give him force of will or actually increase the nerve)

WS 32   BS 36   S 34   T 42   Init 51   WP 46   Sag 76   Nerve 48   Ld 31

Faced with an infernal servant of the Ruinous powers, an adept is often able to recall obscure details of its nature that allows his companions to target a weakness
Slow moving, analyses scents and tastes
Very reticent to get involved in physical activity.   Mortemer views himself as a man with solutions rather than the one to carry them out.
Concerned that Serren may not be ready for the responsibility Tybalt is giving her.

Keravin

Following feedback elsewhere the above profiles are getting a little modification.

I'm continuing to try and sort out profiles for the completed models.

Huntress in the darkness -Daemonhost
[spoiler]WS 53   BS 32   S 48  T 61  Init 39  WP 74   Sag 55  Nerve 57   Ld 76
Powers: Distraction, puppetmaster
Abilities: Possessed, Daemonic (void-chill)
Equipment: None

Bound in the body of a noblewoman, Lady Ismene, who had sought to summon the daemon for her own purposes along with the cult she ran.   Nathin had researched the daemon and realised it was a useful resource so subverted the ritual for his own purposes and bound the daemon to his service.

Lady Ismene cultivated a cult amongst the higher echelons of the planetary based elite on (planet to be named).

Made certain the PDF were on board so that they had protection.   Indeed this work is still having an effect with Ex Sergeant Saul Kraye accompanying another Inquisitor in the pursuit of Nathin to rescue the soul of Ismene.

Huntress plays up Ismene's controlling personality.   The daemon enjoys playing with others and will keep pushing unless Nathin calls her into line.  [/spoiler]

First attempt at bound daemon, but I'm enjoying her personality and the fact that Huntress still plays up Ismene's noble background, hence the model.

Dolnikan

The daemonhost is certainly interesting. The powers are a nice touch, there are only two but they reflect the daemon and the host.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Keravin

Yeah I've tried to keep down the number of powers to excentuate character and also because I'll probably forget to use them.

Whilst I paint him I've also been thinking on statting up Nathin.

Willem Nathin – Radical Ordo Malleus Xanthite Inquisitor
Pistol, flak armour (chest and arms), meshlined robes (legs), power sword
WS 49  BS 52   S 36   T 51  Init 75    WP 64   Sag 85   Nerve 63    Ld 71
Left handed
Skills: Lightning Reflexes, Sorcerer
Sorcerer: Sorcery uses the same mechanics as psychic powers detailed in the Inquisitor rulebook, although it uses sagacity rather than willpower. However, sorcery is a fragmented and contradictory art; the increased complexity that sorcerers face compared to psykers means that the difficulty rating of a psychic power is increased by a quarter (so a difficulty 20 power would be difficulty 25, for example) In order to cast a spell, a sorcerer must be able to speak and gesture freely in order to cast a spell, typically requiring a hand free to do so. Casting a spell is considered to be a speech (or shouting) action that can be heard as normal.
Powers: Confound Daemon, Sanctuary

Member of Scholarite at Arms.   Connected to the Helios Cabal's Librarium.    Hunts down prophesies relating to future daemon incursions and works to stop them.    Ruthless and has sacrificed many to thwart the prophecies.  Age or poor choices has started to effect his physical condition.

Is he keeping the warden around to have a noble soul if sacrifice should require it?
Xanthite
Consulted the dismal texts

Nathin rebuilding after losing a circle of agents

I want to have him as a much more insiduous individual than Tybalt.  He's made the hard choices and paid for them along the way.   Also the physical condition means the powersword is potentially less potent.

Dolnikan

I like this character already, he actually suffered a lot from what he has been through over the years and now only has his brain and minions to fight for him. The power sword certainly is not olverpowered on this character. I see him as the kind that sends others to do the dirty work for him and only makes an appearance when strictly necessary.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.