Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Heavy weapon figures??

Started by wargame_insomniac, July 20, 2011, 08:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wargame_insomniac

Quote from: Ynek on July 24, 2011, 06:14:18 PM
Quote from: wargame_insomniac on July 24, 2011, 02:03:41 PM
Thanks Ynek. That's a lovely paintjob btw.

What hands did you use?

Thanks

James

Heh. Thank you.
The hands are just Malicant's hands with the wrists reposed.
You must have been careful cutting off the Eviscerator then. Given how rare they are I would be worried about damaging it.

Thanks

James

Ynek

Quote from: wargame_insomniac on July 24, 2011, 07:22:23 PM
You must have been careful cutting off the Eviscerator then. Given how rare they are I would be worried about damaging it.

Actually, the only reason I bought the model at all was because I needed an eviscerator to finish off my kroot master shaper on knarlock. If I recall correctly, I just attacked it with a pair of hobby clippers to liberate the hands from the weapon.

Also, Malicant isn't particularly rare. He's still in production by GW, as far as I'm aware...
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

wargame_insomniac

Well i have tried to bid on a couple of Malicant auctions and been outbid each time. I have also seen someone selling an Inquisitor scale eviscerator for £15!!

I guess I will just keep trying to pick up a Malicant. I wont need him for my initial warband, but he would be useful to have as an NPC or as part of a future Puritan warband.

Thanks

James

MarcoSkoll

Malicant from the GW site. Still in production, and comes with free postage.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

I'd also observe on this topic that whilst upscaling a 40k weapon on a 1:1 basis to INQ would mean needed a very large version of the weapon, there's a diminution of scale involved.

At 28mm, the weapons need to be over-large to be quickly recognized and to fit with the 40k aesthetic.  At 54mm, the problem doesn't apply.  So a lot of 40k weapons can be used almost "as is" at 54mm.  I've used chainswords, power axes, stub revolvers, stub automatics and plasma pistols straight from the 28mm range on 54mm models and it looks fine.  I've used boltguns as autogun carbines and bolt pistols as hand cannons.

The 54mm heavy bolter isn't a bad piece (I think its width is entirely appropriate for 54mm), but it is quite work-intensive to fit to a 54mm character in some cases.

R.

wargame_insomniac

Thanks- thats good to know. I have quite a wide selection of W40k bits but currently a limited selction of 54mm scale bits.

The heavy bolter I had been thinking of using came from vehicle sprue so is quite big. I think it is too big to be a 54mm scale boltgun. It might be big enough to be a 54mm scale heavy bolter.

But I have decided that I would prefer a flamer/heavy flamer over a heavy bolter. I am trying to limit the number of bolt weapons on my characters (at the moment I don't have any) and I am wanting a flamer as it will fit better with character I have in mind. I want to use bits from the Malicant model to make an NPC that might in time become part of a puritan warband. I want at least one character that I can say "Burn heretic, burn" as i am shooting!!

Thanks

James

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on July 27, 2011, 01:51:17 PMI'd also observe on this topic that whilst upscaling a 40k weapon on a 1:1 basis to INQ would mean needed a very large version of the weapon, there's a diminution of scale involved.
True, and particularly so for the less "chunky" proportions of most other 54mm manufacturers.

For example, my Battle Sister would have looked ridiculous if I'd tried to use Artemis' bolter on her, but the FW Phobos worked brilliantly. Okay, it is slightly daft that's it's basically the same in the rules as the small tank gun that Artemis is carrying, but that's at least partially artistic licence.

GW's =I= articles

wargame_insomniac

Maybe you can use the FW Phobos as a bolt carbine? From looking at the rulebook it is marginally smaller than standard boltgun.

Cheers

James

MarcoSkoll

No, I intend to use it as a Godwyn-Deaz bolter. It's in scale with the model, even if it's not in scale with what Artemis is carrying.

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

This is my version of malicant with a flamer. Going to be a techpriest when finished.

Front

Back

The Flamer is from a killer kan.

wargame_insomniac

Looks good Cortez.

Thanks for sharing

James