Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Inquisitor Lord by any other name

Started by precinctomega, September 17, 2010, 09:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

precinctomega

http://hitechminiatures.com/5/product/info/23

Now, personally, I think there are people on this forum who can sculpt better than this.  But, a resource is a resource.

R.

Shannow

Not a fan personally, and the cloak is waaaay to chunky, but I can see some pretty cool conversion possibilities nonetheless. My real question is how do you always find this stuff!? Ever the useful resource yourself PO
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

precinctomega

I saw it on CoolMiniOrNot's news feed.  I constantly research news in the miniatures world for my podcast (http://precinctomega.podbean.com - if you're not already listening, why not?) and whenever something looks suitable for the Conclave, I share.

R.

Vermis

How thick is that cloak? :o  And why?

Warning bells are going off in my head.  This looks like Scibor or one of his imitators trying to break into the Inquisitor market.  A lot of fancy pressmoulded filigree; some rushed, half-arsed sculpting to hold it together and get it in the face of the punters; and almost universal praise as some kind of prophet of mini sculpting.  At least, in 28mm circles.
There are a few bits that remind me of Scibor's can't-be-bothered style, too. (As opposed to his it's-on-now style, used on things like Minotaurs).  Notably the slightly blobby head, the shapeless fur, the chopped-up purity seals, the figure-hugging hanging ropes and the overall laden-down, foot-up, half-hearted 'lunge' pose.  I'd need a close-up to properly see it (fat chance unless someone here buys one), but I don't like it, no.  It sets me teeth on edge.

I'm not trying to prevent anyone buying a copy, or railing against the use of premade parts in mini sculpting (still waiting for my masqmini tube tools).  But in these kinds of cases that's almost all you're paying for, IMO: a bunch of very generic shields and greaves with fancy armour detail that've been rolled out on a machined pressmould and stuck together.

Again, to stress, I'm not trying to stop anyone.  But after all I've seen and heard of this stuff it's like visual nails-down-a-chalkboard to me.  Aargh.

Sorry PO.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Alyster Wick

While I understand some of the harsh criticism, I think it's a great source for another suit of power armor.  There's not a lot in the way of 54mm sci-fi minis out there and IMO I think it's only a good thing when another one comes along that fits so well into the universe.  And for those of us who struggle to create symmetrical objects with greenstuff it doesn't look half bad. 

I will, however, refuse to defend the thickness of the cloak.  That said, if I had an extra $40 sitting around, I'd be tempted to get this guy.

precinctomega

Hey, doesn't bother me whether you like it or not.  My job is merely to bring these things to our collective attentions.

R.