Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Tau Warband- With Fire Warrior!

Started by Gnaeus Conlitor, September 01, 2009, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnaeus Conlitor

I have the figures lieing around ready so I figured I might as well put them up

The Warband

The Water Caste

The Kroot

And............... as promised..... The Fire Warrior

The Fire Warrior is a Ground Zero Games minature. I can't say for certain which one because I got it free as part of their Christmas deal 4 years ago. The Gun looks a bit like a bolter except the Barrel is too thin. I'll probably count it as an auto rifle. Tau cannot afford to maintain their Plasma weapons so far from the Empire I reckon.
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

Kallidor

I won't lie, the paint job isn't that great but I think a few thin coats might help smooth it out and neaten it up some. I know Tau are supposed to be small but that Fire Warrior looks like a real tiddler, do you have a size comparison with a human character?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Gnaeus Conlitor

He's not on a GW base. At the same ground level he is as tall as the Water Caste.

I only noticed the chips in the Kroot's colour scheme on viewing the photo. The wonders of high definition eh?
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

Kallidor

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on September 01, 2009, 10:48:13 PM
The wonders of high definition eh?

I used to think a space marine face I'd done (Artemis conversion) looked pretty decent until I got a really close up shot and you could see every tiny hole in the paint where, I can only presume, bubbles of air must have come through.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

precinctomega

QuoteAt the same ground level he is as tall as the Water Caste.

Dude, he really, really isn't.  Even I can see that from here.  I love the Water Caste and the Kroot, but that Fire Warrior is really struggling to justify itself as an INQ mini.

Maybe (maybe) if you gave it a head that was the right size it could pass for a Fire Warrior cadet.

R.

Gnaeus Conlitor

On a second look he's about a head shorter. Oh well its close enough for me.

Darios

to be real: I don't like it... and i wouldn't play against it. sorry...

Adlan

I have to admit, I'm not such a Fan of the little fire warrior. Certainly not if it was ment to be a full size fire warrior. I like to play Wysiwyg, and he's not.

A few Washes and the Kroots foot being on the ground would make the other two models N times better.

Gnaeus Conlitor

Yeah the foot being in the air is a result of the model's natural positioning. If that foot wasn't in the air the other one would be Or I would have to sculpt something to fill up the space that would look a little unsightly.

Kaled

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on September 03, 2009, 01:20:27 PM
Yeah the foot being in the air is a result of the model's natural positioning. If that foot wasn't in the air the other one would be Or I would have to sculpt something to fill up the space that would look a little unsightly.
You ought to be able to get both of the kroots feet on the ground - at least, I managed it well enough with mine.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Gnaeus Conlitor

Well I tried but it was impossible. Both legs are glued in the correct place and they're naturally not on the level.

TheNephew

It's not something I ask about, admittedly, but I've not heard of anyone have that problem before.
Regardless, sticking a little plank of wood, or a piece of or paving stone or deck plating across the base so that the raised foot has something to rest on would make the pose a lot more natural - it looks a little odd hovering like that.
Basing is also a great easy and subtle way to bring a little more completeness to the model - just so the characters aren't standing on a featureless plane.
Th Fire Warrior is clearly too small, especially the hips and head, but I don't think it's something that would bother me overmuch, especially if you put a normally-sized head on there somehow.
I think the height difference is made more obvious than it would otherwise be by the direct height comparisons - on a table, spread out as the characters naturally end up, I don't think it'd be such a problem.

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on September 03, 2009, 07:13:12 PM
Well I tried but it was impossible. Both legs are glued in the correct place and they're naturally not on the level.

I think you probably have a miscast then, as all the others I've seen, including two of my own, should have their feet level (if slightly too wide for both to sit entirely on the base).  My suggestion would be to gently bend it back again, as his positioning looks odd right now.

Like veryone else has said, the Fire Warrior is a bit small to be used in Inquisitor scale, but good effort anyway! 

Papah

Hello, people.

I liked the idea of a Tau based warband. But, as some others, I feel there is a huge lack of interest from GW regarding their Inquisitor range. As a sculptor, I bought some minis (the ones I liked most, Devlin for example) from this line to be able to fit it's standards in terms of size and detail. But when I surfed the web to get to know the hole Inquisitor range I was really shocked to realize some sculptures are pure and absolute crap, done just to shut up the people playing Inq. 

So, I think you could be interested in this mini I sculpted some time ago, I think it will solve your problems in the warband (height diferences...). If you want to order one just follow the instructions and email me at papahminis@gmail.com to get the hole info.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?36704