Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

28mm ex-glavian turned smuggler sugestions please

Started by mirryhalo, October 26, 2011, 09:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirryhalo

Hey I'm new to the conclave and thought I'd ask some advice. I'm looking for a 28mm model (yes I know but it's easier for scenery etc.) that would fit the profile of an ex-glavian pilot turned smuggler, I looked around for some models that I think suit this character but I could only think of the underhive scum with two bolt pistols from necromunda, which is a pain as they don't do it anymore and the only way I could get it would be a lucky find on eBay.

Any suggestions of other models  this scale that would go with this persona would be much appreciated thanks! 

Kaled

Quote from: mirryhalo on October 26, 2011, 09:15:59 PM
yes I know but it's easier for scenery etc.
I don't have a model suggestion, but scenery shouldn't put you off trying 54mm - almost all 28mm scenery works perfectly well at the larger scale. Have a look at some of the pictures of 54mm games in progress around the site and you'll see that almost all of them are played on 28mm terrain.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

mirryhalo

Possibly this one?
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/miniatures-detail.asp?ID=31703
If I remove the sword and put in a bolt pistol or something like that with a chainsword or a fancy scabbarded sword on his back?

mirryhalo

Quote from: Kaled on October 26, 2011, 09:53:31 PM
scenery shouldn't put you off trying 54mm - almost all 28mm scenery works perfectly well at the larger scale.

Its not just the scenery that puts me off, I have got some 54 models but I find its easier to get what you're looking for with the 28 as there is a wider spread of models and I have a stack of spare bits for that size, also its a hell of alot cheaper

Kaled

Quote from: mirryhalo on October 26, 2011, 10:18:30 PM
Its not just the scenery that puts me off, I have got some 54 models but I find its easier to get what you're looking for with the 28 as there is a wider spread of models and I have a stack of spare bits for that size, also its a hell of alot cheaper
There are undoubtedly more 28mm models, but there are still many hundreds of great 54mm models that can be easily converted for use in the game. And you'll find that a large proportion of 28mm bits work perfectly at the larger scale due to the oversized proportions of most 28mm models so a lot f your bits box could be used on 54mm models. It's also not necessarily much cheaper to work at 28mm - if you shop around and are prepared to rework second hand models then there are 54mm bargains to be had (and a lot of 28mm models are ridiculously expensive these days anyway!). I've built a 54mm warband for less than £10 and got four GW 54mm models for less than £20 - and my 28mm version of Inquisitor Kaled cost more than quite a lot of my 54mm models.

I like the model you found though. Wouldn't a needle pistol be more appropriate for a glavian? And a fancy sword in a scabbard should look good strapped across his back.

Keravin

Depends on whether you're emphasising the smuggler look now or the ex glavian.

I'm using a Studio Mcvey figure as a pilot for my Rogue Trader.

If you're looking for the coat look then Rutger will fit in fine scalewise.   

mirryhalo

Kaled thanks, I didn't realise you could pick up 54s for so cheap and that 28 parts worked I may have to try some new projects then!

Quote from: Kaled on October 26, 2011, 10:38:18 PM
Wouldn't a needle pistol be more appropriate for a glavian?

I considered the needle pistol but I thought it would suit my guy's character more to have a bolt in that he prefers a solid slug to get the job done properly, I was thinking of possibly using one of the plastic scout's silenced scoped bolt pistol, although again I was thinking maybe the bolt would be too over powered

Quote from: Keravin on October 26, 2011, 10:42:15 PM
Depends on whether you're emphasising the smuggler look now or the ex glavian.
If you're looking for the coat look then Rutger will fit in fine scalewise.   

I was thinking the goggles, neck scarf etc. show the pilot side but also the aviator jacket/smugglers trench coat I really liked 

Kaled

Generally I try not to give my characters bolt (or power) weapons unless there is a compelling reason for them to have one - they're just so powerful and it's no fun when your first shot of the game takes out an opposing character. It's usually easy to justify giving your character a less bulky and expensive weapon, and, in my opinion, makes the game more fun.

If you're looking for cheap models, eBay is a good place to start - you'll have to shop around to find bargains and if you're looking for a specific model then unless you're very lucky you may have to pay full price, but if you're happy to take what you can get and strip old paint jobs then you can play this game quite cheaply at 54mm. Also look at things like De Agostini Star Wars miniatures or there's a similar range of Lord of the Rings models - they can often be picked up for a couple of quid each and are easy to convert using mostly 28mm parts and the odd 54mm bit.  That's what I did with this warband;
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1492.0

mirryhalo

MarcoSkoll

Actually, the sword's completely out of scale. It'd be about 9 feet long and would look like it had been borrowed from the protagonist of some anime or Japanese RPG. (See the last row of this comic.)

When we say 28mm parts, we pretty much mean it. My Battle Sister for example, uses a 28mm backpack, bolter, grenades, pouches and hands (a WIP shot where it's slightly clearer) - and that's all pretty much bang on with the reference I used.

My NPC Guard Sergeant - again, 28mm weapons. The Chainsword is two glued together to add the length, but the rest of it is pretty well on scale.

28mm lasguns are more or less bang on scale if you lengthen the stock with a bit of plasticard. They end up about 30mm long, which at scale size is a little less than a metre - more or less the same as the M4 or M16 assault rifles.

It doesn't work so well on GW's own 54mm range, which are mostly "heroic proportions" (read: chunky/stocky in build), but they're great on the more slender models from other manufacturers. Still, for GW's models "heavy" versions of the weapons usually do the job well enough.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Keravin

As one of the advocates for Inq28 you don't have to go 54, but the key is convert and find character.

For conversions such as Rutger the key I'd look at is what do you want from the character?   I agree with Kaled in that I would steer away from a bolt pistol.   One of the keys you'll want to sort out is finding alternative weaponry to use or be prepared to convert.   I've seen a nice conversion of a stubgun by cutting down a bolter and removing the clip.   I would look at giving him some pouches on his belt.  Maybe convert a breathing mask hanging from his belt from the Cadian command sprue to link back to his Glavian routes.   I'd also look to the Catachan sprue for a potential scabbarded blade.   

I'm using one for my Seneschal based on Kal jerico's body.

mirryhalo

I've made a needle pistol for him now, I think it's not too bad would like to see what you guys think but I don't know how to post pictures little help?

mirryhalo

Keravin

I use a photobucket account to upload photos to and then use their code to post onto the forum.   For Photobucket it's the code that starts [ img]  minus that first space after the bracket.

mirryhalo

That should be it. I made two, interested to hear which you guys think is better; or if they're any good at all!
Thanks