Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Amalathian Sourcebook

Started by Kaled, January 24, 2012, 08:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

;D

Joking aside - the good thing about the sourcebooks is that it gives us chance to look at different views of a faction rather than just the same old stereotypes and cliches.  For example, people always seemed to portray Recongregators as the bad guys, so when I wrote that book I tried to show them as good guys instead.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

I'd agree that I'd prefer to see the Monodominant book demonstrate that it doesn't have to be that kind of extremist view.

A lot of people make Inquisitors Amalathian by default, when Monodominantism with a more discerning interpretation of the guilty is probably far more appropriate.

I see the basic principle of Monodominantism, that of the Imperium destroying the Emperor's enemies, as the default viewpoint of the Imperium and the primary job of the Inquisition. It just happens that it's usually stereotyped to the bombastic zealot with a narrow view of what counts as an enemy instead.

Is not the mutant Navigator not one of the Emperor's loyal servants, and the same to be said of the Astropath who once gazed upon the Golden Throne and felt His divinity in person?
These are not the enemies of the Emperor. These are the means by which we might smite them.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

You all have no idea how happy I am to see this finally available for the world to see! As Heroka says, it has been years in the making!

Quote from: Kaled on January 25, 2012, 06:33:18 PM
I guess the big question is anyone going to step forward and write one for the Monodominants or Xanthites? There have been a few attempts to get them off the ground and it'd be cool to have a whole set. And if anyone does fancy writing the next one then I'd be happy to contribute or help in any way I can.

At one time I was tempted to turn the AdMech article I wrote for DM into one chapter of a Mechanicus Sourcebook - but I never had ideas for enough material to really fill out the whole book. I do think it'd be great to have such a thing though... The same goes for Rogue Traders and a few other groups as well.

Since we put the finishing touches on the Amalathian one I have been contemplating the Xanthtite side of things and have dug out Ben's thoughts from way back when. I did some preliminary thoughts about the Chaoticians (the predecessors to the Xanthite movement) that never saw the light of day along with some faction ideas and am in the process of collating it all. I'm going to speak to Ben to see if he's out the game now once that's done and work out where to take things (hello if you're reading!). Naturally, if others have ideas I'd love to hear them!

I also have ideas on mutants, sub-humans, the insane and the general dregs of humanity - perhaps a sourcebook on Imperial Society would be a place for them, the AdMech and Rogue Traders?

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

There is more to being a monodominant than just that, there is also the careful investigating before striking and destroying all of the vile heretics, and a few who will be heretics somewhere in the future, perhaps.

I have some ideas for them but I'm afraid that I won;t have the time, and more importantly, the skill, to write such a book.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Macabre

Quote from: Kaled on January 25, 2012, 06:33:18 PMAt one time I was tempted to turn the AdMech article I wrote for DM into one chapter of a Mechanicus Sourcebook - but I never had ideas for enough material to really fill out the whole book. I do think it'd be great to have such a thing though..

As the owner of probably the largest (albeit unpainted) AdMech warband on the Conclave, I would relish the opportunity to help with an AdMech sourcebook as I have quite a few ideas of my own.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Kaled

Quote from: Macabre on January 25, 2012, 10:13:06 PM
As the owner of probably the largest (albeit unpainted) AdMech warband on the Conclave, I would relish the opportunity to help with an AdMech sourcebook as I have quite a few ideas of my own.
To be honest, after the gruelling effort of getting the Amalathian book done I'm not sure I want to work on another book just yet. That said, if you want to take the lead on such a project I'm happy to brainstorm ideas with you and may be tempted to write a section or two.

Sounds like you have some painting to do too...

Macabre

I'm hopeless at taking the lead on anything and much prefer to just contribute. If I was any good compiling projects, I would have had the Terra Conspiracies conspiracy book finished years ago :p
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Draco Ferox

I like how the sourcebooks don't have to portray the stereotypes, and I can easily see the monodominant book being an interestig prospect. I think Marco's idea about the monodominant using humans with useful mutations to smite his enemies, but think that he would treat them as sub-human, and maybe use them simply because if they get killed, it's one less living mutant in the imperium.

Sub-factions within the monodominant faction could be interestig, with some who won't tolerate mutants through to those who believe that while it is humanity's right to rulethe stars, humanity always evolves, and mutants are the next step in the evolution of the human race, and therefore more worthy successors.

The Xanthite sourcebook would be a great place to introduce some more 'exotic' wargear, such as an Anathame (anyone read false gods?), and also, imperial technology which is regarded as heretical. One needn't use /chaos weapons to cross the line...

EDIT: I would also support the background of Marco's namesake appearing in the next dark magenta, as that way, we could slowly get people more familiar with most of the characters they would see at conclaves. We've had Sassure and Kaled, so why not Marco. Plus, it would make a good few pages of reading for the magazine.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Kaled

Macabre - why not start threads for your Terran Conspiracies and the AdMech sourcebook ideas and see if anyone else wants to help.

I'm hoping a few people who haven't written before will feel inspired and take the opportunity to write some articles for DM. No one should feel that DM is just for veterans to write - anyone can submit articles. Articles can be long or short, so don't feel that you have to write something the length of a sourcebook - it could just be a couple of pages. And if you have a great idea for an article but don't think you're a good enough writer them submit it anyway and the DM editors will find someone who can work with you to get your article ready for publication.

If anyone is interested in writing something, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help (and I'm sure Saussure would be happy to hear from you too).

- Dave

RobSkib

Excellent stuff, great to finally see this to fruition! I'll be using this as bedtime reading for the next week or so :)

Quick question, should I start uploading some of the special abilities from the sourcebook to the Carthax wiki?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

Heroka Vendile

One thought I've had is that in companion with the Sourcebooks, people could produce Primers. So that while the Sourcebooks provide the nitty-gritty about an organisation or faction, a Primer would give an over arcing description of the history, geography and politics in a sector, sub-sector or even on a specific (important) planet.
A bit like taking Robey's article about fighting on Holy Terra and expanding it to source-book size.

It would, I feel, allow a much more easily digestible way of putting large amounts of information about X location than filling the Carthax wiki with dozens of pages.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy