Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Cat's Work in Progress

Started by catferret, September 05, 2009, 04:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catferret

I'm a bit erratic when it comes to projects so this thread will have all sorts of things in.

First up I've been revisiting my old ogryn because I was never very happy with him.  This is him now at a stage I can be content with, although any additional ideas will be considered.

Also been working on an Istvaanian Inquisitor.  This will be one of 2 versions of him, the other will be more mundane looking and conduct himself with more subtlety.  Just blue-tacked together just now as i still have things I have to sculpt on him.

Couple of closeups of the helmet

Yes, he's going to be totally over-equipped but he'll be operating alone in this version and I wanted him punching through doors and running through walls.  ;D

Heroka Vendile

... is that Mynarc under all that brown stuff?
excellent sculpting on the pair of them though.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

Excellent couple of models there.

Is your Istvaanian into terrorising human settlements under the guise of Xenos attackers by any chance?  If so, excellent...

catferret

Quote from: Van Helser on September 05, 2009, 05:04:53 PM
Is your Istvaanian into terrorising human settlements under the guise of Xenos attackers by any chance?  If so, excellent...

That's certainly one of his methods when he isn't interested in subtlety.  His other aspect has a far more interesting trick (to me at least) but I'll cover that when I do the model/warband for him.

Heroka:  Yeah, there's a Mynarc under there somewhere.  Next time I'm investing in a Dremel!  Sooo much filing had to be done on that guy.

kierkegaard

Excellent work there Cat (sorry, I've forgotten your real name.)

I love the Ogryn's ripper gun. I think that I see a Leman Russ battle cannon barrel there, but what is the rest of it made out of? The vest looks great too. I think he just needs a cigar clamped between his teeth.

The Istvaanian looks fantastic (does he take orders from a computer called 'John Henry Eden' by any chance?  ;)) I know what you mean about Mynarc, so I offer my sincere congratulations on a wonderful conversion job that must have taken as much patience as skill.

I am really looking forward to seeing them both painted.

catferret

Cigar huh?  Cunning plan...  ;D

The rippergun is mainly built from a trimmed Guard autocannon with some plasticard and a cut down tank wheel for the drum mag.

An e-cookie for recognising one of the influences for the armour.  It's mainly based off this with a little of this added in for good measure.  I'm too much of a Fallout geek really.  At some point I'll take influences from somewhere outside that series of games.

kierkegaard

I hadn't seen the first armour style that you linked to (I have only played Fallout 3.) I see the influence though - the model looks much more like that style than the Tesla armour from Fallout 3 that I thought it was based on. Again, great job.

psycho

love both the minis man
erm im guessing the ogryn is an old metal WFB giant lol, but would it be feasible to use the newer plastic one? i am interested in making an ogryn, only i cant find the metal giant anywhere chea enough lol.
the istvaanian is awesome mate! the armour is spot on and i can get over the sculpting work on the helmet
keep up the good work boss
kerby

catferret

Thanks Kerby.

I think the plastic Giant would be OK if you shortened the arms and kegs a bit first.  I've not really studied the kit up close but I know it's a lot taller than the older metal giant.  The limbs look very stretched though which is why I suggested cutting them to shorten the overall model.

Kaled

I have seen someone use the new plastic giant as an ogryn (I forget who), but he is rather large - much taller than he ought to be for an ogryn (though you could claim he's an abnormally tall ogryn).  The metal one is just about the perfect size - they crop up on eBay often enough that you ought to be able to get one cheap.

That's some nice sculpting on the armoured Inquisitor, however he doesn't look very '40k' at the moment.  Are you planning to 40k-ify him at all?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ynek

I've got to say that I'm extremely impressed with both pieces, but the radical inquisitor really steals the show. The sculpting/converting has been very skillfully done, and the model is totally unrecognisable as what it once was. It must have taken DAYS of filing to get mynarc's armour down to a smooth enough starting block for you to start reworking it. This fella has been a real labour of love, and I am impressed.

I see that you've used brown-stuff for the majority of the sculpting on him... And as I've never actually used the stuff, I feel I should ask - How different is it to work with than the likes of GS? Is it softer? How is the working time?

As for the ogryn, he's certainly something of an improvement on the original, and I really like the sense of weight that you've worked into the rippa gun. It certainly looks like it could be used to club enemies into submission, as ogryns frequently enjoy doing.
I also notice that his gun features some kill-markings on the stock. Under article 9475/35j of the Departmento Munitorum, any individual who defaces imperial equipment with kill markings, kill counts or slogans is punishable by flogging... Either the Departmento Munitorum official knew better than to try to get smart with an ogryn, his commanding officers were too scared to tell him not to do it, or did he actually take the flogging and keep doing it anyway, not quite having the brainpower to realise that the floggings and the kill markings were somehow connected?
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

catferret

Kaled:  Once the main armour is done, he'll be getting details like chain and cloth hanging from his shoulder, a few =][= symbols and maybe some purity seals here and there.  Wasn't planning anything major as I didn't want to clutter the model. 

Ynek:  Yeah, I had read that part of the Munitorum Manual and Infantry Primer but felt that I had to add the markings anyway.  How else will he "show da commizars 'ow many bad guys 'e shot"? ;) 

The Inquisitor has been on and off my work bench for well over a year now.  I'd file bits at a time until I got annoyed then leave it for a while.  It's only been the last month or so I've made any real progress on him.  The sculpting has been the easy part.

I love Brown Stuff, it's my favourite putty at the moment.  It's very easy to work with and files/carves better than any other putty I've tried.  It will hold a good edge on it.  Working time is about the same as Greenstuff, although it is safe to handle the model after a shorter curing time.  You can also work with Brownstuff pretty much immediately rather than waiting the 20min that is recommended with the green.

An alternative to Brownstuff is a 50/50 mix of Greenstuff and Procreate.  It holds almost as good an edge I would say, but you have to work very fast as it cures really quickly.

Ynek

Quote from: catferret on September 05, 2009, 11:24:45 PM
waiting the 20min that is recommended with the green.

I never wait with green stuff. I find that you get a much smoother finish if you work with it immediately after mixing, and it also adheres to models a hell of a lot better when it's still fresh.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Aidan

Really like both of them. The Istvaanian's certainly looks like it's of alien origin; it would make a good disguise given that so many imperial servants are so brainwashed they'd never think to using so much 'heretical' alien technology, or think a human would.

The ogryn's neat too. When I first saw it, I thought for a moment it was a 40k ogryn for IQ28! On closer examination, though, I can see where it came from.  Nice sculpting work on both of them.

Quote from: Ynek on September 05, 2009, 11:05:46 PMEither the Departmento Munitorum official knew better than to try to get smart with an ogryn, his commanding officers were too scared to tell him not to do it, or did he actually take the flogging and keep doing it anyway, not quite having the brainpower to realise that the floggings and the kill markings were somehow connected?

Any of those would be plausible, really.

Lordi

Your work is impressive. As for suggestions- I'd consider adding "biker gang" insignia on the Ogryn's vest, just to add some more character- crude sawn-on patches would be just about as much personalisation as an average ogryn would think of (IMO).
As for the shoulder cloth have You been thinking something along this?:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/File:BOS_Armor.JPG
As for the details on Your Inquisitor i came across:
http://www.greensgallery.sacredblademiniatures.com/greensgallery/CyberG4.HTM
which seems to carry vague similarities to both the enclave power armor and has some obscure =I= symbols on- thought I'd share, if it may be of any use.