Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Techpriest Warband - And ye shall come to fear them

Started by Seraphim, December 04, 2011, 09:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seraphim

Mwahahahahah!

Finally they're ready, now I must write rules and back-story :/
At the moment I have a few basic concepts and ideas based on what equipment they've already been given and what I've improvised so far.
Any ideas or ways I could not make them horribly overpowered is welcome:

Magos Seonaidh "Shoney" Quint - Converted Delphan Gruss:

• 84 year-old Magos Cybernetica, field-testing his new, self-built, mental link to his....
  • Mechadendrite-mounted Xenarch DEATH ARC (Actually a necron Tesla cannon)
  • Bionic Arm (I made it from necron parts and the original arm)
  • Book (of technical-lore?)
  • Utility Mechadendrite (reloads death arc and is a close combat weapon)
  • Auspex (on back)
  • MIU Linked to servitor(s?)

Both servitors are self built by Shoney and he regards them as pets, meaning they're well maintained.

"Bitey" - Velociraptor 28mm utility servitor with the 54mm servo-hound head

• Can bite opponents (successfully latching on will give a bonus to hit, reduced WS as his eyes don't face forwards so he has rubbish depth perception)
  • Bolt Pistol
  • Bionic foot (mediocre quality]
  • Combi-tool (Cuts open walls and flesh)
  • Tail (can drag objects 4 yards instead of 1 but takes two actions to grab and has a risk of harming people, this was made using a necron spine and a regular mechadendrite head)
  • Rebreather
I'm really like how I posed Bitey as it looks like he's turning to face you and keep a sideways-looking eye on you.

"Stabby" - Servohound with Gruss's drill and various bits

• Breaching Drill with purity seal and targeting optics (wall breaching?)
  • Thats it

Primary areas of concern (help would be nice) are:

• Holy hell how am I going to get this balanced (but I will be going up against a dark-elder 1man Warband among others).
  • Anything I can give to stabby to make him special (he's a bit unloved apart from the best paint-job)
  • Bionics for Shoney (Magos Cybernetica so LOTS)
  • Rules for the mechadendrite in mele (Grabbing and immobilising people seems awesome as direct damage makes the servitors a bit redundant)

Special thanks to adlan for taking a week-end out so that I could convert, assemble and paint all of them. Thanks for teaching me painting techniques and how to use green-stuff, I haven't been modelling in literally years.
Also thanks to Mordenkenain for necron bits and lending me some paint.
Loading: Cognition, Sapience, Sentience.

Myriad

Love the pet servitors.  Great use of parts.

As far as not making them too overpowered, since the two of them seem limited to combat damage and presumably have modest armour I wouldn't worry too much about this.  I might even slip them true grit to represent some auto-repair mechanism.

As far as balancing the game, that's the GMs job.  Scenario design should account for relative power levels.  For example, a space marine should suddenly find himself the target of a minor armed insurrection intent on hampering his work, whilst all the other warband has to do is retrieve some info and escape.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Mordenkenain

Speaking as the aforementioned dark eldar (on a skyboard no less), I wholeheartedly agree, so long as they don't have rules coming out of every orifice and make sense, you should be fine, don't forget, adlan will throw little curveballs to deal with any severe overpowered tricks that turn up, for example, he suggested that some missions will take place on high gravity worlds, rendering my skyboard pointless. Therefore, just write what makes sense and take on board everyone's suggestions
Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

Seraphim

I smell delicious rules incoming, with a few modifications after my trial by fire run by adlan tonight:

Magos Seonaidh "Shonney" Quint
WS BS  S             T   I  Wp Sg Nv Ld Speed
60 79 60(45/18) 78 68 68 90 56 53 4
Equipment:
Bionic Arm (Right) is stronger than his mechadendrite(Right) (less space for servomotors)
Xenarch Death Arch
Mechadendrite Claw (Reach 3, Damage D6(+1 from S), no parry penalty)
2x Reloads for the death arc (Capacitors)
Motion Tracker Auspex
Book of Technical Lore (+20% to Sg tests involving rituals)
Armor: Chest&Right Arm 4  Head&Groin=3  Left Arm,Legs&Abdomen=2

Experimental MIU:
Passive: One action to give orders to both of his servitors
Active: He can expend one action each turn to synchronise with the servitors: they become speed three characters and their initatives increase by 20% of Shonney's , their Sg becomes 50% of Shonney's and can choose to disobey orders (or generate new ones) by passing a Sg test. Their turn order is not affected by the increase in I. Additionally all three become aware of what each other senses for that round.

Both servitors always get two actions unless synchronised by the MIU.

Bipedal Industrial Technician Class E - BIT-E ("Bitey")
WS BS  S  T   I  Wp Sg Nv Ld Speed
60 50 80 70 40 n/a n/a 200 n/a 2

Bolt Pistol (no reloads)
Chain-sword Combi-tool (Reach 2, 2D10(+3 from S) damage and -25% parry penalty)
Armor 4 all over

Lifter Tail
Can drag objects 4 yards instead of 1 but takes 2 actions to grab it, normal dragging is impossible.

Stabilised: Terrain Analyser and Breacher - Y Variant "Stabby"
WS BS  S   T   I  Wp Sg Nv Ld Speed
60 n/a 80 70 40 n/a n/a 200 n/a 2
(Grus's) Breaching Drill (Reach 2, 2D10(+3), -25% parry penalty and critical hits always cripple)
True Grit (Simplified design allows for multiple redundancies)
Standard Cyber-Mastiff rules (Armor Value 5 and damage)
Can only speak tech (rotating the drill at various speeds to generate different pitch notes)

All equipment uses default states unless otherwise stated.

Criticisms, feedback and improvements are welcome and appreciated.

Mordenkenain

I think we had the strengths the other way round for the bionics, Big powerful bionic arm vs little metal tendril, the arm has room for more powerful servo motors, so can be more powerful...

Its still your choice however
Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

Seraphim

Whoops yes, the strengths are the wrong way around, I'll edit the post to correct that but the bonus damage still applies unless I loose an arm.