Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Another distraction - 54mm Necron Warrior

Started by Ynek, December 21, 2011, 02:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adlan

I'd be interested in purchasing one, if you are casting a squad.

Mordenkenain

Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

Ynek

Heh. Casting a miniature and selling them are two totally different scenarios. Casting them has far fewer legal rammifications when compared with retailing them, for instance.

But on the note of casting - the first casts are looking fairly positive. Admittedly, so far, I've only made a mould for the torso and the legs, with moulds for the arms and head currently curing. However, I wanted to wait and see if these first moulds would be a success before committing to making more.

The casting quality is hardly beautiful, and the casts do need quite a bit of cleaning up to get all the flash and so forth under control, but they are definitely workable. Bubbles in the mould appear to be my biggest enemy at this point - but that's not something I can easily avoid at this stage. At least I had the sense to cast the legs with the base attached to provide an adequate bubble-sink.

I'll post up a couple of pics of the casts when I get home from the lab in a few hour's time.

"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

blacknight

Hey Ynek

That is one very impressive looking necron there and the idea of a squad of them together is great.

Looking forward to seeing the casts and the painted original.

Blacknight/Marc
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Mordenkenain

Soooo...is that a definite no to selling me or Adlan some, or a probable no, or a 'I'll look into dodging the legalities before I decide one way or the other'
Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

Ynek

What it means is that for the moment, I'd prefer to see if the moulds work to an acceptable standard before actually making a commitment one way or another.

I've had a few ideas regarding not quite "selling" the miniatures, but I have had some rather unique ideas to strengthen the community and give people a chance to get their hands on these models, and still be legal.

But first things first - make sure the moulds like me.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Ynek

It's been a fair while since I posted any work of any sort to the conclave, so forgive me for the thread necromancy here.

Making moulds is a tricky process and one that I am barely competent at. I'm at a borderline novice level, and so it took me quite a while to figure out how I wanted to proceed with casting my necron miniature. After meeting with a moderate level of success with a few of the components, and meeting with abject failure on a number of others (namely that accursed gauss flayer...), I simply decided that I needed some time to meditate on this project, and decided to put it on the shelf for a while.

The project sat idle on that shelf for two whole years...

I recently decided to have another try at casting this fella. I took all of the components down off of the shelf and started to work once again. This time, however, I seem to have met with a certain measure of success and have managed to cast a couple of necron miniatures successfully. Only one of the miniatures has yet been painted, but below is a picture of what I have achieved thus far.

(Direct link, in case of failure: http://s4.postimg.org/i487nnpoc/DSC_0001.jpg )

As you can see, there are a few regions which didn't quite cast perfectly, namely the rather prominent mould lines here and there, and also the fact that there's a small segment missing from the gauss flayer's "tube" due to a bubble in the mould. But I have left these ugly little miscasts in the miniature to show you all what it looks like before trying to hide the deformed parts... More or less to show that the cast is imperfect, even when I deem it to be 'successful.'

I don't know what I'm talking about now. Maybe I should just shut my trap and hit the "post" button.

[EDIT:: In case any of you were wondering where I've been all this time, I've been working on a number of unrelated projects, a BSc Hons and a full time job. But I never forgot about the Conclave. The Conclave is for life.]

greenstuff_gav

looks great :)
do you havea multi-part pic?

if you needed help / suggestions on moulds give me a poke; got some experience :lol:
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Inquisitor Dionzi

SKYFALL MINIATURES