Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Underhive Board (PIC HEAVY!)

Started by Brother_Brimstone, December 22, 2011, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

Wanting to start a college =][= society, i saw the perfect opportunity to build my own board. it's composed of 9 1 square foot bits of woods, laid out in a 3ftx3ft square (although it could easily be laid out as a 2x4 8 sqft board). The terrain includes a children's car park toy (the big, board-dominating structure), a click-together terrain piece (can't remember the manufacturer), plumber's pipes and various household waste.

The board tiles themselves were inspired by favela architecture, where the housing and much else is just made of any old scrap material which can be found. I imagine the lower levels of older hives to be like that. The original metal structure has rusted, fallen apart, and has been patched by anything to hand, hurriedly just making it strong enough to hold for the immediate future. Over time, the floor becomes a patchwork of scrap, and that's what this board is meant to be.

Obviously it's in varying stages of construction, and none of it is completed yet (the middle tile needs to be 'favela'd', the bits from toys need to be 40k'd and the whole thing needs to be painted!)

Anyway, i thought i'd take some pictures now i've got a decent sized board and filled it, as it seemed like as good a milestone as any, and it's still not too late to implement any changes people suggest.

On that note, as usual, comments and criticism is welcomed and appreciated!

duffybear1988

that looks like its going to be epic :D

Van Helser

I think I had a car park similar to that when I was 5! 

Nice build so far.  Rivets on everything would further add to the industrial nature of things I think.  Dressmaker's pins pushed through the cans would be very easy to do.  Cut up plastic rod for the car park and more solid stuff.

Ruaridh

Kaled

Nice board, especially the multi level bits? Is it likely to be ready by early January? Might we get a game on it before you head back to uni?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Dolnikan

A very nice board, I used to have a garage toy looking quite a lot like the one you used. Everything has a suitably chaotic look to it that somehow fits very well with the athmosphere one qould expect for an underhive, I only think that there should be more debris.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Zakkeg

This is going to look brilliant when it's done. Just mind that you use the right spray - by the looks of the plastic it won't take paint all that well. Automotive primer might do the trick, though I haven't got a lot of firsthand experience with it.

Incidentally, the click together bit looks as though it might be an IMEX set. See here for similar stuff.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Brother_Brimstone

It may be somewhat ambitious to hope to have painted -all- the terrain by early january; especially seeing as I have two extended essays to do this holiday for uni too, but hopefully there should be a reasonable amount of it done for us to play on before I go back

With regards to painting the car park, i've had plenty of experience with painting on that sort of plastic before. The secret is to sand it down before you spray it, which roughens the surface of the plastic, makes it more porous and makes it take up paint better (i've had to spray plastic toys before, as I make steampunk weaponry from nerf guns as a hobby)

I like the riveting suggestion, and if anyone else has any ideas of how to make things look even more convincing, all input is appreciated.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Zakkeg

Aye, sanding would also do it. :P

RE: suggestions, if you're going to add rivets then logically they should be, y'know, riveting something. Strips cut from cereal packets would work quite well; I seem to recall something similar being done for the Inquisitor board they put together in White Dwarf.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Lazarus Caladine

Great board, a few more minor details and it'll be perfect to paint.

Off topic, I'd love to see your steampunk guns. I've always considered making/painting one or two of my own, but I might feel a bit more like a nutter than usual lol.
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Brother_Brimstone

Hey all, thanks for the comments. A small update; the board itself is done - sprayed it with several different silver colours of varying hue and reflectivity in broad strokes and several coats. I'm quite pleased with the end result; it looks almost chameleonic - the shade and brightness of the board changing as you view it from different angles. I have to say, i'm very pleased with the end result!

As usual, C&C appreciated and welcomed.

Ancelyn

Mmm, Mouse Trap. Looking awesometastic. 8)
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Impressive; reminds me I must get on with my own scenery projects (perhaps in the new year).

I look forward to seeing the whole thing painted.
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Fugitivus

Love the board pieces. So simple and yet so creative. And totally modular. Perhaps some mud coloured or brownish weathering will make them even better. Now they're very grey.
It's the Grimdark future of the Grimdark 41st Millenium, it's Grim and Dark and Grim and Dark and there is only War, Grimdark War on a thousand Grimdark fronts against the Grimdark threat of the Warp.

Trasher

I'm thinking in the lines of Fugitivus's suggestion. You might want to add some oils spills, rust etc. Dried blood perhaps?
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Kaled

A few spills of various liquids would be a good way to add detail. I also found that having a few ripped posters and leaflets stuck to the floor was another easy way to add detail without too much effort. Even without that, it looks really good - I really like all the different textures.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat