Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Underhive Board (PIC HEAVY!)

Started by Brother_Brimstone, December 22, 2011, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolnikan

The board looks great but some more colour would help break it up a bit, perhaps some areas with flaked off paint.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Brother_Brimstone

Based on the fact that there was pretty much a universal feeling that the board tiles could do with a bit more interest, I decided to ink and poster them up a bit, with the occasional dried blood smear or unidentified chemical colouring. Here's the result;

Comments and criticism welcomed and appreciated.

Dolnikan

It looks a lot better now, I can't wait to see the painted buildings on it.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Trasher

That's great, but I can't see any buildings?  ???
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Brother_Brimstone

Quote from: Trasher on January 03, 2012, 08:54:40 AM
That's great, but I can't see any buildings?  ???

Well, I can only do one bit at a time! Now the board tiles are finished, i'm working on the things to go on top of them. They shouldn't be too laborious by and large - just metal and concrete coloured spraypaints and a few muddy washes...

Still, there's quite a lot of them!

Ancelyn

;D This project is looking better and better.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Trasher

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on January 03, 2012, 12:03:51 PM
Well, I can only do one bit at a time!

I'm sorry Brother_Brimstone, irony doesn't come through too well in text :) You've done a great job so far and I was only hoping there were buildings built already!
Spraypainting and washing the buildings sounds like a good plan to get the board playable, but with such a great start, please don't stop there! I'll drop a few links in the end of my message containing ways to make your underhive pop:

Imperial Propoganda Posters
Posters, sign up needed, haven't looked at these
Cities of Death posters
Tommygun does what with paper?

EDIT: Let's pray to the Omnissiah my links work this time.
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Brother_Brimstone

Hey; thanks very much for the links! I already had a set of imperial posters, which I've used for this board, but having extra for future definitely won't hurt!

Anyway, on to the main event; THE BOARD IS FINISHED!

All comments and criticism welcomed and appreciated.

Fugitivus

What a fun place to die in  ;D  Great industrial look & feel and lots of variety on a small surface. And plenty of obstacles & cover, which is good as it stimulates moving about and prevents both boring long range shoot outs and a rush to the middle with everyone quickly ending up in one big hand-to-hand cluster.
It's the Grimdark future of the Grimdark 41st Millenium, it's Grim and Dark and Grim and Dark and there is only War, Grimdark War on a thousand Grimdark fronts against the Grimdark threat of the Warp.

Trasher

Brimstone that's great! The posters really make the scenery come alive! Also, don't forget to check out Tommygun does what with paper for some boxes to clutter the underhive with :) Looks cool with the different levels and walkways. Is that vegetation I'm spotting?

Adlan

Dolnikan

It's a beautiful board I'd love to play on. I like the dirty and industrial look.

Myriad

Not only nice looking terrain, it also looks like a good playing environment, which is equally important.  Plenty of niches, crannies and the odd rooftop.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Brother_Brimstone

The links didn't work for me, but i worked out what was wrong. Here are some corrected versions:

Imperial Propoganda Posters
Posters, sign up needed, haven't looked at these
Cities of Death posters
Tommygun does what with paper?

The last one is especially worth a look. I've actually done a fair bit of papercraft in my time (i'm not entirely sure why or how, but it's just something i seem to keep finding myself doing...) and his papercraft objects are great!

Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments. It was a board based more around playability than aesthetics, but i did want to do my best to make it look nice. I've always been incredibly jealous when i've seen Necromunda articles and Inquisitor articles where the scenery makes the game really three dimensional, as the boards i'd always made in the past with friends were very two dimensional, so I made this with the specific intent of forcing myself to ensure the game can be played upwards and downward as well as side to side.

Kaled and I shall be playing on this board tomorrow, so i'll soon get a chance to see whether it was all worth it and whether I succeeded!