Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dark eldar Klaive.

Started by Draco Ferox, December 31, 2011, 02:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco Ferox

Ok, so my Inquisitor is a Xanthite, and I was wondering what the reaction would be if I gave him a Dark Eldar Klaive as his main close combat weapon. The background is that he was fighting against them on the battlefield (not in the =][= version), and ended up fighting an Incubi, which he killed with his psychic powers, and took the Klaive as a battle trophy.

I am also considering having him building an imperial copy of a Klaive after seeing them in action on the batlefield.

The profile would be as follows:
Reach: 3
Damage: 3D10+2
PP: -20%
Weight/encumbrance: 35

Can be used one-handed with damage 2D10 and P-25%.

Thoughts? Comments? Scathing attacks? All welcome.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Adlan

Taking a xenonweapon in combat as a trophy seems not uncommon, using it more so, but fine for a xanthite. An imperial copy sounds good as well.

Draco Ferox

The main part of the background I'm questioning is whether a human, even one who has made it to the rank of inquisitor, would be able to survive a hand-to-hand clash with an Incubi, who are described as being almos perfect swordsmen. Also, a xenos weapon would not be made for human hands, so would be difficult to use.

A copy would be cruder, and not as good a weapon, but could be built to comfortably fit a human.

Dolnikan

How the inquisitor defeated the incubus is explained. I just wonder how he encountered them and ow he got the weapon to work.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Draco Ferox

He's a member of the Ordo Xenos, and so he was investigating reports of disappearances in and around an agri-world, which turned out to be the handiwork of certain morally questionable space elves. Upon discovering this, he cobbled together an army out of imperial guard regiments from nearby sectors, and through the use of the Emperor's tarot, was able to bring the dark Eldar to battle during one of their raids. The Incubi, being the elite killing machines that they are, immediately singled out the most powerful unit in the army to test themselves against- the inquisitor and his retinue.

As to how the weapon works, the weapon itself is simply lethally sharp metal sheathed in a disruption field, much like an imperial power weapon. I imagine that the inquisitor would take a look at a book of Eldar runes from a library of xenos species (most likely with neither the consent nor knowledge of the owner), and try to match eldar runes to ones on the weapon until he knew which ones turned it on and off.

InquisitorHeidfeld

If its the one I'm thinking of then why not just say "counts as power halberd"?

It is just a Glaive after all.

Draco Ferox

Because I think that the klaive is probably the best my favourite close combat weapon games workshop ever designed, and having a human carry one is the best reason I can come up with for including one in my character group (to me, warband sounds too millitant, though I use it to mean battle-retinue) short of having a close combat monster in ancient armour, with a broken soulstone which handily incpacitates enemies on his chest, and is also very old, and unfortunately, tends to kill everything it sees for the hell of it (which sums up the incubi).

I see your concern, and might just do a "counts as" to minimise confusion. Acutally, taking a look at the dark eldar model, the klaive is taller than a standard 28mm model, so a power halberd seems great, though I might reduce the damage to 3D10, as it just seems more right to me. Saves a lot of work with stat changes too. Thanks, Heidfield!

Oh, and one more thing, please refer to it as a "glorified glaive"  ;D

InquisitorHeidfeld

Sharp blade on the end of a stick designed for cutting and stabbing... not much glorified about that  :P

Draco Ferox

The klaive itself is nowhere near to a halberd. There's no stick, for a start. It's basically a mahoosive blade with handles set into it at various points, and a disruption field generator near the hilt. I would actually say it has more in common with a long, thin cleaver than a halberd, as the blade runs all the way down.

Of course, the 54mm version is going to require a huge amount of filing to get the blade looking like it might actually cut something, rather than the rounded strip of green stuff which I start with when sculpting weapons.

InquisitorHeidfeld

I'm probably misremembering then - I was thinking that the Incubi models had a polearm weapon - though from what you're describing it would probably still end up being used like one (in the same way as a bat'leth ends up being used like an axe).

Draco Ferox

You're thinking of the old Incubi models. they've been redone, and I honestly almost drooled when I forst saw them.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod900141a

Dolnikan

So, the glaive has basically become a very large power sword? I really should try to keep up with those changes. Good luck with the filing work.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Myriad

What you have there is a sword, isn't it?  Probably a two handed one at that - even if it's light enough it'd be unwieldy in one hand.  Given that, the profile seems fair enough - frostblades do the same, and they're 2 handed power swords.  Not sure why he's not using a good imperial powersword though - his weapon of choice would raise a few eyebrows.  Maybe it was subsequently 'cleansed' (and rendered less effective in the process) by the mechanicus.

Just because an incubi is an almost perfect swordsman that doesn't mean they're unkillable, and inquisitors are noted for their resourcefulness - the background doesn't claim it was a fair fight, after all.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Draco Ferox

In the background, he killed the incubi with his psychic powers, but before he did this, which he was forced to resort to after the Incubi smashed his power sword, though the strain of using psychic powers while being assailed by negarie emotions from the incubi's tormentor meant that he was recovering for a good three or four years from the mental strain.

I would imagine that as a Xanthite, he saw no reason to have the sword cleansed, especially if it would reduce its effectiveness. I have a couple of interesting ideas regarding scenarios where the Klaive is stolen, which might male for an interesting way to bring the mechanicus into a campaign.

And thankyou Dolkinian, the filing work is going to take a fair amount of time. I tried a 28mm version, to try out ways to build one, and that required about half an hour of filing just to get it to a reasonable slope of the cutting edge.

At the moment, my main worry is that I'm not representing that it was made for an Eldar to use, and so would have grips and spacing not suited for a human. An imperial copy would not suffer from these problems, but would be unlikely to be made by the imperium, as the mechanicus tend to be resistant to new ideas, especially ones which suggest making something untested and new. Making a copy of a xenos weapon rather than a blessed imperial design may well be enough for them to report my inquisitor for heresy! An alien weapon carries the risk of denunciation as well, but at least there would be no awkward "it was made, the details aren't important" in the background.

InquisitorHeidfeld

A Glaive is a polearm with a sharp blade designed for cutting and stabbing (as opposed to weapons like the Halberd which has a heavy blade designed for cutting or a Bill with its rather more cleaver-like blade).

These new Incubi however appear to be equipped with two handed swords with a heavy, piercing, hook at the tip. As heads, hands and weapons (particularly weapons, your average Imperial Guardsman carries a weapon at least five feet in length – even taking into account the upscaling of models in general) are upscaled in Citadel models I would simply call it a two handed powersword (erroneously listed as a Frostblade (could be worse, it could be erroneously listed as a power Falchion*)).

The Incubi used to be a bodyguard unit, though whether that's still the case I couldn't say, so polearms made sense for them; two handed swords though are a weapon more suited to shock troops, sacrificing defence for offence... Of course more modern weapons and tactics call for different considerations for guard units, there's little need to fend off cavalry in the 41st Millennium but one would have to expect long range engagement and heavy protection...