Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

As promised -- Schola Progenium WIPs

Started by Kaludram, August 24, 2012, 02:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaludram

Alright, so I found out the hard way that 1/35 does not equal 54mm Heroic scale.  The height is not the issue; it's the size of things.  But what 1/35 scale is good for is a bunch of teenagers. 

Here are some 1/35 Vietnam era Soldiers with Inquisitor weapons and some 40k bitz designed to be a draftee squad to an Inquisitor at a Schola Progenium.

And here is one of them standing next to my modified SGT Stone:

Once I got them assembled, I realized height wasn't the problem--it was their build.  They were nowhere near the bulk of a SGT Stone or even Eisenhorn model.  So I shelved them for a while until I thought...hmmm, teenagers typically get tall first and then fill out.  What if these were teenage students at a military school or Schola Progenium?  Bingo!  And a campaign idea was born from an accidental modelling experiment that didn't turn out as expected.

I plan to remodel at least one of these guys.  In trying to make them look like they were smaller than their gear I got a really absurd effect with a pistol holster as big as someone's thigh--I haven't decided if I like it or not--and everyone's eyes except one are covered by a failed attempt to make the helmet look ill-fitting from being a generic surplus model for training that is too big.  (I was in the Army and always felt like my helmet was slipping down over my eyes until I got out of training and got a properly issued ACH for combat duty.)

I would appreciate comments very much as thse are still evolving.  If you need more/better pics on a particular angle, let me know.
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

Knobby2

I like them, as a side note on their build they could also be from a planets youth platoons, like cadian 'whiteshield' platoons

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Knobby2 on August 24, 2012, 11:56:00 PMlike cadian 'whiteshield' platoons
that was my thought as well upon seeing them.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

RobSkib

Bless their little hearts. They've all grown up and are off to war.. *wipes away tear*

They need 40k-ing up some more. Remember the ancient mantra of converting things to 40k; When in doubt, add huge boots and huger shoulder pads. Sculpt on some knee pads and elbow pads as well if you have the time/putty, but priority should be on adding big stompy boots and large, preferably asymmetrical shoulderpads.

I look forward to seeing where these guys end up!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Dolnikan

They look good but still seem a little outof place. Maybe add some iconography to them, most models in the 40k universe are filled to the brim with them, just some eagles, skulls and the like, maybe some religious devotions as well.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaludram

Quote from: Dolnikan on August 28, 2012, 11:55:10 AM
They look good but still seem a little outof place. Maybe add some iconography to them, most models in the 40k universe are filled to the brim with them, just some eagles, skulls and the like, maybe some religious devotions as well.

I intentionally didn't add any iconography or symbolism to them yet.  I plan on keeping it either absent or very minimal because of my personal experience with the military.  Most training/field uniforms for trainees and military school cadets are very minimal when it comes to insignia due to them being constantly reused by new groups of trainees.  I would see the Schola Progenium as being much the same way.  After a first encounter under an Inquisitor, I could see them receiving honorary icon/awards, but not before.

Just my opinion...

Dolnikan

I never thougt about it that way, I always saw the schola as a religious institute with some military characteristics because the church runs it. Personally I would still expect some religious symbols, but of course it would depend on the specific institute.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaludram

Quote from: Dolnikan on August 28, 2012, 03:21:56 PM
I never thougt about it that way, I always saw the schola as a religious institute with some military characteristics because the church runs it. Personally I would still expect some religious symbols, but of course it would depend on the specific institute.

Completely agreed...the Schola are run by the Ecclesiarchy and feed to the Adeptus Administratum, Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Navy & Guard, Inquisition, and (rarely) other segments of Imperial Society.  I see these boys as the members of the junior ROTC at high school--they have chosen to steer towards a military career during their junior schooling and would be under the direction of a drill abbott or maybe a retired Imperial Navy Chaplain.  So these uniforms would not be their regular garb--they would likely come from a pool of infrequently used, spare field uniforms issued out each year to boys who wanted to participate in the military training offered.  They would only be worn during field training or, in this case, emergency actions under the direction of a visiting Inquisitor.

That said, your religious iconography point is well stated.  Perhaps something simple in the form of a shoulder insignia or on their helmets....Now, this is what I like about the Conclave.   ;)