Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Defiant Echoes: OOC

Started by Koval, January 29, 2012, 10:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Koval on February 06, 2012, 06:27:39 PMDoes the Unbroken have Normandy's stealth system?
Shame it's not Marco in this RP. Because the Ynys (being a smuggling ship) was designed to run blockades - either by through the generous application of pseudoscience stealth, or simply by having engines packed so full of stolen, illegal or (these days, anyway) Inquisition level tech that it goes like a jan'kan with a hot poker up its arse.

QuoteMarco: is it okay if Haines and Andreas catch a lift with Riley? I haven't actually given Haines a ship, which was a bit silly of me.
That's alright with me. I'm working on Riley's introductory passage right now, and while I'm not exactly sure when you'll get it (between trying the new warband and the Warhound titan I'm trying to get ready for the IGT, my spare time is wee bit pinched), you can kick off in the meantime.

It's easy to assume those two are elsewhere on the Sword of Integrity (elsewhere being somewhere other than Riley's office). If you want, you can decide whether you think it's still in the warp, approaching the planet or already in orbit. It shouldn't be relevant to what I'm writing.

Note: I've decided the Captain is Lord-Captain Arkus Mason - big, square shouldered, lantern jaw, clean shaven, short blond hair, large blue naval coat, bionic left eye. Laughs at his own jokes and is mostly "fun" in his manner but, obviously, not someone to mess with - should that be relevant.

It's interesting to see that all the Dark Heresy GMing means that I'm getting a lot better at coming up with NPCs on the fly.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Herald

Ambrose has arrived, I assume the interdiction fleet will let through an Inquisitor?
I've also invented a ship for him, just a sprint trader no real armament just a basic form of transport with a long suffering captain.
"A man who joins the Inquisition a radical has no faith, a man who leaves it a puritan has no sense".

Dolnikan

I was thinking about entering the system with as many systems turned off as necessary, includig the engines, momentum should be enough to get near the planet. The fleet will be easy to detect with all their systems turned on leaking radiation all over the place. I will approach from behind the sun accekkerating by gravitic slingshots. The planet will be passed by at a distance and a shuttle launched. Then the Unbroken will go into hiding in an asteroid belt or something like that.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Holst has arrived, pomp and circumstance: up to 11!
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Koval

Quote from: Herald on February 07, 2012, 05:22:26 PM
Ambrose has arrived, I assume the interdiction fleet will let through an Inquisitor?
I've also invented a ship for him, just a sprint trader no real armament just a basic form of transport with a long suffering captain.
I'll PM you in a moment. Just got in, something's playing utter havoc with the Cambridgeshire buses this evening, and I'm uber cranky so it's safest if I leave it a bit before I say anything.

Octavian -- just a quick notice; you'll have to land in a shuttle (an Aquila lander is probably par for the course). The reason for that is because it's very hard to land a 5km long cruiser if you A) want it to get off the ground again B) want it to stay in one piece*. The closest they can get is a low planetary orbit.

This isn't me being mean here, by the way (or uber cranky...), it's just physics being a pain in the backside.

*If you actually tried to land your cruiser, then it wouldn't be able to support its own mass. The Adeptus Mechanicus actually have to build ships in orbital shipyards, or at space stations, just because that's the only way to build them without worrying about mass/gravity interactions.

Dolnikan -- Well I guess they could mistake the Unbroken for an asteroid, but you'd have to be extremely careful in case someone looks out of a window and sees you coming. That, and if a space rock is too big, they're likely to blow it up in case it falls on the planet. It's actually safer in that respect to use a shuttle, because they're more likely to just assume you're a small meteoroid, lump of space garbage, et cetera (and not only is that more likely to burn up on re-entry, but tryin to shoot it, and missing, is very very bad)

On a side note, the interdiction fleet refuels itself using resources from within the system itself (promethium refineries on other worlds, food from agri-moons, and so on). While there will occasionally (and inevitably) be relief provided for thousands of otherwise stranded Naval crew, and an inevitable changing of shifts, it's fairly infrequent (if regular), and generally takes the form of a Battlefleet Pacificus relief mission. Having to sit in the same place for nineteen years is too much even for the Navy.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Yeah, I knew he couldn't land the cruiser, I meant a shuttle, but he was given clearance to land is what I meant!
Velterax III

Koval

Okay, but just keep in mind that you'll have to land in the sticks 'cos there's no starport. Hope Holst brought some good walking-shoes.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Velterax III

Koval

Middle of nowhere and/or town outskirts. There's not actually much scope for landing near Stonechapel, since it's built around six hills. Your best bet is landing near another, more accessible city and starting your investigation there.

Some nearby towns and cities are Dornsmount (near a big mountain with the same name), Coveton (market town by the River Sacris), Hilcenter (which is on top of a very large, but very shallow, hill), Haverkirk (in a valley) and Portiswade (by the sea). Or make up a town -- it's a big planet. Coveton and Dornsmount are fairly close to recovery, other places are likely to still be total dives.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Thanks, I have other things to work on currently, so another post may not be for some time (few days)
Velterax III

Koval

No worries, everyone else needs to catch up too, and I've got lessons to plan.

Dolnikan

I'm just wondering, how far out are the ships. I was planning on flying the ship to a relatively small distance from the planet and then taking a shuttle, for a trip of about 0,01 AU. I don;t know much about the speeds of those things but think that it would take about a week to reach the planet(I know that this would be at an insane speed). The final part of the trip would take a few days.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Koval

Smaller ships (the system monitors and Cobra squadrons) will be orbiting the planet at around 10,000 to 12,000 km away. The various Sword squadrons will be further out, around 20,000 km. Cruisers will be sat out in the planet's Clarke belt (I'm no astrophysicist, so assume about 36,000 km out), with Archduke Gordian over a point due south of Stonechapel, and ready to open fire as and when required.

Since I'm bringing Clarke belts into this, assume the planet is roughly Earthlike (maybe a little larger) with one moon, and has a twenty-two hour day.

Dolnikan

That should leave my 1,5 mln kilometers far enough to send out a shuttle I guess. It will of course be launched from behind the moon to mask the launch. How large is the moon? And are there any other celestial objects of note?(if this is irrelevant I will simply make some up.)

Necris

I'm on my 6th attempt to post my arrival but every time I try an post the conclave stuff up
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog