Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Journey To The IGT

Started by Van Helser, February 07, 2012, 03:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Afternoon all.

I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to make it to the Grand Tournament, but I'm not letting that stop me sticking some new models together!  This year I've decided to leave the Inquisition behind and will be bringing a Rogue Trader and his crew mates along.  However, this particular Rogue Trader has found his empire brought low and is having to start from the ground up... though revenge against the mysterious forces that did this to him is his foremost concern!

Dark Heresy players should spot the inspiration pretty quickly.  Originally, he was going to be a simple Scum model, until I noticed that the source illustration wears a naval style coat.  Inspired, he has become slightly more important.  Though a suitable name still needs to dreamed up.

I may go and revisit the freehand along the hem of the coat.  It's looking dodgier every time I look at it.  Got a few weeks to sort it out at least!

The other members of the crew are the First Mate and the Navigator.  The First Mate is inspired by a picture in the Emperor's Will which comes from one FFG publication or another.  The Navigator is an attempt to really emphasise the inhumanity of them.  I play a figurative and literal monster in the Rogue Trader Skype RP and have made her (yes, her) a cousin of the horror known as Allerod.  The bizarre features will be accompanied by an unusual colour scheme (I'm thinking purple/pink).

Both need some sculpting finished off.  I'll hopefully get some more progress on them both soon.

Comments and criticism welcomed.

Ruaridh

Macabre

Looking good :)

The navigator does look like he belongs in a Dreamland cell though ;)

(Glad to see those malicant legs put to good use)
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Dolnikan

The rogue trader shure looks like someone who is after revenge, and lots of it. The first mate is a creep and the navigator looks mutated, but more subtly than just tentacles for legs and the like.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

RobSkib

Arrrr! :pirate:

Great to see Ork arms pressed into use again ;) The captain is awesome, excellent choice of inspiration by the way! My only critique would be that the first mate seems to have some rather bad backwards wobble going on - perhaps he's not glued down properly or something? Give him a nudge forward before you paint him so he's sitting flush to the base.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

@RobSkib: Never fear - neither are glued down yet.

@Macabre: I don't get the dreamland cell reference though... Unless you're talking about her Kirby-like features! Thanks again for the trade.

@Dolnikan: I was trying for a more subtle set of mutations than tentacles and the like. ~15,000 years of inbreeding can't be good for the genome!

Ruaridh

Macabre

Dreamland = Area 51, Roswell, New Mexico ;)
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Van Helser

Ah.  She does have something of a "Gray" tinge to her.

I'm not entirely against an alien feel to her either.  It's exactly the kind of thing that can lead to conflict in the 41st millennium!

Ruaridh

Van Helser

As of this morning, I have the First Mate and the Navigator based and ready to paint.  I've ironed out a few wee bits and pieces and have based them properly on some resin bases I have cast.  A worthwhile experiment for anyone - I can see myself using these bases again and again.  Not too difficult either - scored some silicone rubber and some polyurethane resin from eBay and went to town, using advice from here.

(Of course, now I've seen a photo I need to flatten the First Mate's base!)

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

The bases look good. The first mate looks even more menacing than he did before basing and the navigator remains a great model. I look forwards to seeing paint on them.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Van Helser

The Navigator is ready.

Progress is underway on the First Mate too.  Hopefully be done by the end of next week.

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

The navigator looks very good. I especially like the star maps on the cloak. The wierdness of the face comes out very well as well, really alien while retaining something human in it.

Van Helser

Thanks Dolnikan.  I originally went for blue skin, but it just looked too alien.  The Rotting Flesh based colour I settled on isn't right but not too unbelievably human.

My prediction of a week to finish the First Mate was way off... Managed to finish him today! 

I think he's the best of the bunch.  I tried out a couple of new techniques on him; the bronze armour, and a more patient approach to glazing.  I feel both have paid off. 

I may go back and sort out a couple of details on all three of these guys, but I have the best part of a month to do so.  Just hope I can still attend the IGT!

All comments and criticisms welcome.

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

The first mate looks very good. The bandage is a nice touch and the blue comes out very well. A great model where all the parts come together.

Kaled

That is a very nice blue. I like the head hanging from his belt too.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

ismeno

Some really nice minis, love the Navigators "starcloak".