Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New Plastic Sets, Tyranids and wolves

Started by Kered, February 25, 2012, 11:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kered

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1460211a

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1460213a
I see great potential in these for Tyranid warriors and lictors.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=&prodId=prod1460179a
And these seem perfect for anyone wanting a pack of 54mm wolves whether for a war band or maybe an interesting NPC enemy in a dark forest or abandoned town.

Ynek

And these seem perfect for anyone wanting a pack of 54mm wolves whether for a war band or maybe an interesting NPC enemy in a dark forest or abandoned town.

I can't help but be reminded of a recent thread on the forum, where some people were discussing the idea of attack/guard dogs. I get the impression that, although a little large to be terrestrial wolves, these creatures might just be perfect for that role.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Dolnikan

Quote from: Ynek on February 25, 2012, 01:49:58 PM

I can't help but be reminded of a recent thread on the forum, where some people were discussing the idea of attack/guard dogs. I get the impression that, although a little large to be terrestrial wolves, these creatures might just be perfect for that role.

Yes, I was working on some rules for dogs but university has caused a large lack of time to work on them. The wolves are beautiful models which could easily find use, does anyone have pictures of them next to other models to better get an idea of their size? I hate using bases for comparison for some reason.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Hmm. I like those wolves. I imagine their £15 price tag wouldn't be so great in 40k (given they probably only represent a few dozen points), but that's not at all exorbitant if you want them for Inquisitor.
That's actually one of the few things I've seen from GW in a while that I'd actually want to buy...

Judging by the 20 part count, I'm assuming each probably divides down into each half of both the head and the body, so they're probably fairly monopose, but I suppose that's why they're not sporting a price tag in the £20+ range.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Draco Ferox

I really like this product, and echo Marco's sentiments.
I was looking for some wolves to use as general models, and the only wolves that GW had previously released were all either chaos, and so mutated, or undead, and therefore, well, undead, neither of which looked like what I wanted. These look to be brilliant, and so if I still have money left over after birthday season (a lot of my family and friends have birthdays around this time), I'll definitely look at a pack.

Dolkinian, they look to be about the size of a fantasy horse, maybe a little less, so definitely dog sixed at 54mm scale.

This one seem perfect for a familiar, as it's part cybernetic. More pricey than the wolves, at £10 for one, but if you have the money, this would make a good pet for an inquisitor or rogue trader. It is still on a 40mm base, however, so it's probably the same size as the others, maybe a tiny bit bigger, but there's really not much difference.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Dolnikan

The cyber one is very interesting, a proper modified beast to set on people who don't get of your lawn. The details are lovely. They are a lot better than the old wolf rider wolves as well.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaled

I like the wolves, but they're a bit boringly wolf-like for me - I'd prefer to see some more alien wildlife in games of Inquisitor.  Perhaps a guard slyther rather than a guard dog, that kind of thing...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Adlan

Maybe if the Wolves get a bit 40kified they'd be good enough for Kaled's taste. Brain controls and radio antennae, a serbo skull cyberlinked to control them.

Dolnikan

MarcoSkoll

A potentially useful picture I took while I was in town today:

GW doesn't do the black boxes any more, so there weren't any models to compare to, but my tape measure told me the pictures on the back were basically to scale, so I figured I'd do a reference anyway.

GW's =I= articles

Trasher

These new wolves are interesting, I've always wanted to make an Inquisitor with a dog, a proper one and not the Cyber Mastiff. What do you guys say, do they look too much like wolves or could they pass as dogs 38000 years from now?
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Dolnikan

They could easily pass for dogs from the future, looking at the number of breeds we have to day, imagine the number of different appearances there will be on thousands of worlds, thousands of years from now. The wolves look canine and could easily represent one of the many breeds one would find in the Imperium.

MarcoSkoll

Easy to do for dogs. Simply doing them in a less wolven colour scheme would make a big difference, but just taking a few minutes to GS the ear shape would basically seal the deal.

For example, this...

... would take little more than a different paintjob and some floppy ears to get this...

That's the thing about dogs - the breeds that haven't been bred in strange ways to get odd shapes or characteristics are still pretty much the same basic shape as their genetic ancestors.

GW's =I= articles

Stormgrad

The Cyberwolf model is getting its legged hacked off at some point in the near future, in fact two of them