Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Skaven WIP: WHFB 54mm

Started by Rayner, March 05, 2012, 07:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Covenant

These look ace. Can you get a group shot of them with a standard Inquisitor model so I can see the scale differences, please?
I wished GW had made 54mm figs back in the days of WHFRP.

Rayner

Wow, its been 8 months since I last updated this? Well, here are a few pictures that will hopefully make up for my lack of updates...

Posted by: Covenant
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:50 AM »

These look ace. Can you get a group shot of them with a standard Inquisitor model so I can see the scale differences, please?
I wished GW had made 54mm figs back in the days of WHFRP.

My apologies for leaving it so long to reply to this, but here is a comparison pic of my sculpted humans net to an INQ model:

The sculpted humans are slightly smaller that the INQ model, but are very close.

Here is an update on the sculpting of the empire rifleman. I've redone the feet - as I felt they looked a bit off before. I may add detail to the rifle (engraving or patterning maybe?)

Another figure I've been working on is a headsman:

Back

The only thing I am unsure about is the legs - I'm not totally convinced that the trousers really fit with the fantasy vibe that the rest of the models have.

I have also almost finished a wizard:

Back

Still need to finish the arm and the ponytail. I'm not totally sure that the stye ties in to warhammer fantasy - but I'm still pleased with the currect appearance.

I also am currently working on an empire swordsman/captain:

Back

Here is his shield-arm:

Back

And with the shield arm attached:

I'm quite happy with how this one is going so far, it ties in quite well with the warhammer fantasy style. I still need to finish the head, add details to the armor plates and find a sheathed sword to go on his belt. (if anyone can recommend a good one, as I have yet to find something right)

The most recent model is the local innkeeper :)

Back

Not totally sold on the sculpting on the padded trousers, so I may redo them - I'd like to hear people's thoughts on them. This was my first full face sculpt that I am really happy with. Not sure if you can make it out on the pic, but I really like the double chin he's got going :)

And finally, what kind of innkeeper would he be without this:

Back

Scratch-built from the ground up, based off this image: Still needs a lot of work (finishing the outer walls is the current stage).

Once I am done with these sculptures I will start painting and repost with some finished work for a change :)
Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated as always.

MarcoSkoll

It looks damn good in general; there's a lot of stuff here I'd be very happy to have done myself!

The thing I'd warn you about is the pelvic area on some of the models. The swordsman and barkeep both seem to have too much space between their legs.
(Even if were they women, with the need for enough space to shove babies out through there, I think it might still be a bit much).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Rayner

Thanks Marco, looking back at some of my previous sculpting work (especially the heads...) I feel that I have made good progress with getting proportions far more on the realistic side. Just goes to show: if you keep practicing and learning through mistakes, you can improve :)

QuoteThe thing I'd warn you about is the pelvic area on some of the models. The swordsman and barkeep both seem to have too much space between their legs.

Looking back, I totally agree about the leg spacing. The swordsman should be fairly easy to sort out, and I already have plans to redo the legs of the innkeeper - so I can sort this out at the same time.

Radu Lykan

Nice work, the inn keeper is good but as marco says, pelvic region needs work. This stuff puts my feeble attempts at sculpting to shame, can't wait to see more of these, anything else in the pipeline?
Also like the inquisitor model, nice job there, is that the bodyguard torso?

Rayner

QuoteNice work, the inn keeper is good but as marco says, pelvic region needs work.

I've already started reworking the innkeepers legs. The hips have been brought in and the awful puffy trousers have been stripped down for another attempt. I'll post pics once this has been fixed :)

QuoteThis stuff puts my feeble attempts at sculpting to shame

All I can say is keep trying, I looked back at some of my work from a year ago here
and saw how much certain areas I have improved on (especially the heads and faces, my earlier attempts were oversized blobs). For anyone interested in sculpting, I really recommend the guides in the modelling resource section and to really research and source pictures if you are aiming to sculpt something very specific, rather than going from memory.

Quotecan't wait to see more of these, anything else in the pipeline?
Also like the inquisitor model, nice job there, is that the bodyguard torso?

Right now I want to get all the unfinished models cluttering my desk finished and painted before I start anything else, but I am always looking for new ideas - so if anyone has any suggestions, you may see them at some point :) I'm currently sticking with the Empire, but may expand to other races/regions later.

Inquisitor Istovan Crane in that picture is made from Eisenhorn's legs, bodyguard's torso and forearms, Kal Jericho's las-pistol and holster, Rogue Trader's sword and scabbard and the Imperial Guard gas-mask.

Van Helser

Superb stuff here.

For the legs of the headsman, how about bindings around the ankles and calves?

Ruaridh

Rayner

Posted by: Van Helser
« on: August 03, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »

Superb stuff here.

For the legs of the headsman, how about bindings around the ankles and calves?

Good idea Van Helser :)

Here are updated pictures... taken in really poor lighting conditions. I'll try taking some better ones tomorrow
EDIT: New pictures taken in better lighting

I'm happy with the headsman's legs, however I'm still unsure about the legs of the innkeeper - but they are much better than they were before.

Photos with painted stuff will hopefully follow soon.

Rayner

Ok, here are some painted models ;D

First up, the Empire soldier/captain. Tried to correct the legs mentioned before, but I may have not moved them close enough (on these pictures there looks almost no difference from before...) Overall I am happy with how it turned out.

Back

Next to be finished was the Priest of Sigmar. I'm not so happy with some of the sculpting of the armor padding on his back, just looks a bit rough.

Back

Ok, I lied about not sculpting anything else until I had painted what I have already made. However a friend visited recently and on seeing my current work, insisted I sculpt a character taking inspiration from a very popular video game character. (Of which most of you will guess within 3 seconds of looking at the photograph) Sculpted and painted in under a week, the pose is not nearly as dynamic as I wanted, but the detail is good considering how quickly I darted through this one.

Back

The most recent to be finished is the innkeeper. I'm still not happy with the legs... don't ask me why, as I'd probably start rambling and come up with a list as long as my arm. Rather than trying to fix something that appears to be refusing to be mended, I decided to move on. (I'm having enough trouble with the wizard sculpt to keep redoing this one)

Back

I'm currently working on painting the Empire rifleman and the other 2 skaven, hoping to get them done soon.

As usual comments and ideas for new sculpts are greatly appreciated.

blacknight

The sculpts are looking really good and very characterful for warhammer.

The painting, especially of the metal, helps to bring them to life. 

I like these alot and am looking forward to seeing the remaining models progress (and any more that you create in the mean time)

Blacknight/Marc
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Rayner

Here is the (finally) completed Empire wizard.

back

I think I'm just about happy with the final hairstyle, only took about 6 attempts to get to this...
The right arm was a problem to get looking natural holding the staff, the first two poses I sculpted just seemed awkward.

I have also done some resculpting work on the grey seer - more detail added and the staff has been improved. Once it has been painted I will upload some photos.

Van Helser

I think the sculpting work there is top notch.  It's probably the best-executed so far.

Ruaridh

Rayner

Another update, here's the painted Empire rifleman:

Back

The altered and painted Skaven Grey Seer, Theersquill:

Back

Finally a quick alteration of the Inq mutant rat (removing the extra head and bionics) has created a pet/faithful minion for the Grey Seer:

Back

Just a few more characters left to paint and I'm all caught up. Work on the inn is going well, starting putting on the cornerstones and masonry around the door. Does anyone know where I can find textured wallpaper or material to represent cobblestone that would look the right scale for 54mm miniatures?

I'm currently halfway through painting the final skaven character, plus I've got the wizard base coated and ready for painting, so I should have another update soon.

Radu Lykan

very nice work, i like that the grey seer has a pet, for some reason most of my inquisitor warbands include some sort of pet creature despite me not having a pet myself?
the wizard is looking good, interested to see him painted

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy