Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

An Informal 'Clave Meet up.

Started by karandras_sh, April 01, 2012, 08:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karandras_sh

As Kaled and Gav have kindly volunteered me at the IGT. ( this may sound clunky but bare with me please)

Either for Autumn Meet or for the Summer (without stepping on peoples toes), we have a day of gaming where we try and just come together for games you want to do, with people you don't normally get to game with.

Basic structure for the event is that we book tables at WHW and then we organise games amongst ourselves, then reserving a table and a time slot off the list for your game.

Examples of games that were talked about:
Furthering your Characters back story ie. by playing out key scenes of their past, present or future.
Running a game where everything is recorded so it can be written up as a Narrative "Battle Report" with side bars

What are peoples thoughts on this please, and would you turn up?
All Lies Lead to the Truth

Stormgrad

As I said at the time i like this idea and would love to attend, however if it is to be a summer clave i would like to see a date go up within the next month as i would like to book train tickets nice and early for the cheapest possible price (being poor sucks). There are Two potential downsides to this, 1. if you book a game with someone and they then cancel or are unable to attend on the day for whatever reason (we had a lot of last moment drop out's this year due to illness and fuel crisis and surgery) 2. The IGT and random opponent format forces you to mingle and associate with others if your using it to progress a story over a few games i foresee people playing against the same opponents each game and that's a little sad as we have a great community and most of us only meet at these events.

Kaled

I like the idea and would definitely come. However you may want to formalise things a little to help people find a game. It's easy for us veterans to organise games between ourselves, but we'd want it to be accessible to new people as well. In fact if we do this, I'll volunteer to GM an introductory game for people who've never (or rarely) played before.

Maybe you could create a 'message board' where people can advertise a game they want to GM, or people can post something saying 'Amalathian seeking game' and wait for someone to recruit them.

I also think the idea you mentioned of having three slots for games during the day is good. While I like the short fast paced games, it would be nice to have a bit more time to play with. I would have designated time slots for games, if only to make it easier for us to schedule our time.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Adlan

Quote from: Kaled on April 01, 2012, 08:43:07 PM
I like the idea and would definitely come. However you may want to formalise things a little to help people find a game. It's easy for us veterans to organise games between ourselves, but we'd want it to be accessible to new people as well. In fact if we do this, I'll volunteer to GM an introductory game for people who've never (or rarely) played before.

Maybe you could create a 'message board' where people can advertise a game they want to GM, or people can post something saying 'Amalathian seeking game' and wait for someone to recruit them.

I also think the idea you mentioned of having three slots for games during the day is good. While I like the short fast paced games, it would be nice to have a bit more time to play with. I would have designated time slots for games, if only to make it easier for us to schedule our time.

If I can make the Day, I'll also volunteer to GM a game.

Three Slots for games also sounds good to me.

MarcoSkoll

I think the idea is great. Some longer games where we get some forewarning as to who's going to be playing them - count me in. (Could get even MORE time out of it by being able to fill out/sort character cards and e-mail around briefings in advance so as to save minutes on the day).

I'd need to see a date before I could be sure of my attendance and intent, but if it's far enough distant that Leander is finished, then a longer timeslot would be a very welcome thing for running that game.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

The idea of an informal but organised up, with out either a ranking system or an arranged storyline, would appeal to me more (as a player who is yet to play, as it were) than the usual IGT and Conclave style events. I know that the usual events would be very welcoming but that doesn't still mean I'd prefer a casual event, to start things off. Anxiety and all that :)
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

karandras_sh

Okay my thoughts on how the day would progress

Meet and Introductions
1030-1230 1st Session
Lunch
1330-1530 2nd Session
Break
1600-1800 3rd Session

On the thoughts of a "Message Board" I would either think a separate thread within this section (but it is news and announcements) would do or one of the Admins on here could Create a separate Section under Golden Throne for organising meet ups (tagging threads appropriately, so we know what each one is for eg. for this meet up INF12 )

Stormgrad - on a note of trying to get players to mingle I personally would try and recommend not booking out the entire day with games, trying to leave a slot free for a random game with different opponenets

On a note of dates Looking at the WHW calender its 19th of may or there isn't a weekend free till 15th of September. Unless you want ravening hoards of children in August.
All Lies Lead to the Truth

Stormgrad

Its not out of the realm of possibility to be able to attend on the 19th however its fairly short notice in terms of shiggling money, thats just on the calender tho if you could ring them maybe you would get some more options

MarcoSkoll

Yeah, I wouldn't pay any attention to the WHW calendar when trying to book. You just need to ring them up and see what's available.

We're a pretty small group, so they've had the space to run us alongside events like Throne of Skulls previously. And much though it's nice to get a quiet day, it's WHW, so you can't really expect that - you might get it by chance like we did this time around, but it's not predictable. A seemingly quiet day might get a rowdy kids' party booked, or a Throne of Skulls might just be a lot of players getting on with their games quite quietly.

I'd prefer it to be a bit more distant than May 19th though, and I don't know if there's still any plans for "The Kaede Mack Conspiracy" as the Summer 'Clave.

As for a "Message board", just throw up a thread in this section once we've got a date down. It'll sort itself out.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 02, 2012, 01:13:28 PM
As for a "Message board", just throw up a thread in this section once we've got a date down. It'll sort itself out.
I was just thinking of a thread for the 'message board', but one where the first post is updated fairly regularly to show what games have already been arranged and that games/players are still looking.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Sounds like it should work, if there's someone willing to keep the top post updated and we get enough GMs.

One other thing that has occurred is that this is going to have to be quite a lot of communal writing. It is normally the GM who writes the game, but if it's two or three players looking for a GM for their game, the GM is going to have to work around the kind of thing the players want to do, not vice versa.

GW's =I= articles

Bloodpact

I'd be up for GMing a game, or running some kind of intro game for any interested newbies.

In fact I reckon if you are nice enough, or if i jip some of them enough, we could get WHW events staff to advertise the event on their facebook page, or at the least make it known that if people wanted to try out Inquisitor, they could come down on that day and get an intro. Could be a useful way of recruiting new players!
Repent! For tomorrow you burn!

Stormgrad

So Some time has passed any thoughts about a Date?

Mike Blake

I'm close to GWHQ and keen to have a go as a complete newbie...