Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

KrautScientist's INQ28

Started by KrautScientist, April 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dullmohawk

Hah, an awesome story and very well written! I really like your inquisitor, he sounds like a terrible bastard  ;)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

KrautScientist

Thanks, guys!

Quote from: Dullmohawk on April 18, 2012, 03:06:14 PM
I really like your inquisitor, he sounds like a terrible bastard  ;)

Hah, that's true  ;) I don't even have a fully thought out, coherent backstory for Antrecht, you know. It's just that, whenever I complete a new possible member for his retinue, I start thinking about how this individual may be connected with the Inquisitor, and the rest is just Antrecht coming to life in the back of my head  :o

I guess he has seen too much and gone too far, but he has learned how much is at stake, so he doesn't shy away from things that even some of his fellow Inquisitors would find horrifying...
Check out my blog at http://www.eternalhunt.wordpress.com

World Eaters | INQ28 | Terrain | Other

Dullmohawk

I think that's a excellent method. The thing I find with inquisitor is that I usually have trouble coming up with background material for the main man, the inquisitor. In the grim darkness of the far future you sort of have to be a very special individual in order to be enrolled with the most august institution of the Imperium. I often have little problem with coming up with stories for my henchmen and tying them to the inquisition - but to be an inquisitor - that's something else.
I think I'll give this inverted character creation a chance and see what comes of it.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

KrautScientist

You're absolutely right! Writing a compelling background for your Inquisitor is very hard! Perhaps even harder than building a convincing model for your Inquisitor  ;D

Like I said, for me it all began to make sense when I imagined Antrecht's interactions with his henchmen and his peers. While the original concept for his model was simply "borrowed" from Phil Kelly's Lichtenstein and his last name was swiped from an unconnected Inquisitor in the Thorian sourcebook, he came to life when I suddenly imagined an exchange between him and Magos Zeiss, with the latter being aloof,  clinically analytic and always a little paranoid and the former being just the kind of magificent bastard you would expect him to be. There wasn't even any context to this conversation I envisioned, just the idea how those two would talk with each other. And that was the true birth of Antrecht as a character.

Since then, I have been steadily working to define his character more and more clearly, but, strangely enough,  always with regard to his interactions with his retinue...

KrautScientist

Right, just a smallish update today, dealing with one of my less serious attempts at character creation. Here's the Bounty Hunter I built for Inquisitor Antrecht's retinue -- although I mainly built him because I wanted to, without any imminent goal of using him for games of Inquisitor.

It's really not that hard to guess who this guy is based on. It's also not a very original idea: There's lots of Boba Fett conversions on the net, many much cooler than mine. I stumbled upon some of them and felt the ambition to build my own version. And that was it, I simply had to try it  :D

He's a pretty easy kitbash too: I used legs from the Chaos Marauders, a Cadian torso, some old CSM arms and a helmet from the Khorne Berzerkers with the "bunny ears" clipped off. Then I added a couple of accessories from the Kroot kit. His pistol was spliced together from an old Boltpistol and the shaft of an old WFB Chaos Warrior halberd - yes, really  ;)

Since he's more or less a fun project, I didn't really envision him as a character the way I did with the other members of Antrecht's retinue. I just thought that he'd make a cool enough Bounty Hunter. And the original Boba Fett's freelancer attitude fit with Antrecht's outlook quite nicely, so he became a member of this particular family  :D

However, after a bit of thought, a couple of ideas how to insert him into "official" 40k lore presented themselves:

Bounty Hunter "The Mandalorian"

Not much is known about the mysterious figure frequently accompanying Lazarus Antrecht on his more "colourful" outings. He is a Bounty Hunter, that much is clear. A sellsword to be sure. And, without any doubt, a professional. Few have seen him without his trademark suit of battered armour of an unknown provenience. However, those who have managed to catch a glimpse of his features and body maintain that his skin is a milky white, making him look more like a ghost than a man. If this strange feature is caused by his habit of always covering his body or it is the product of something more sinister seems impossibly to ascertain. Some whisper about an army created from the genestock of the Imperium's greatest, a force of Albino warriors surrounded by misfortune and secrecy. And while no one would ever openly confront the Mandalorian with these rumours, there is a name that follows him wherever he goes, a whisper, passing through the shadows: "Afriel"...

Right, I guess that's all there is to him. Let me know what you think  ;)

Adlan

I like it, the 'Afriel' is a very good 40K tie in, although the name Mandalorian is a pretty big shoutout.

Dolnikan

I must confess that I had to look up what a Mandalorian is...

But I really like the model, he looks grim and fits into 40k's look. The background is fitting for such a character as well.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

KrautScientist

Thanks guys,

@ Adlan: True. But then, the whole model itself is such a colossal shoutout that I am not too bothered ;-) Like I said, it was a fun little conversion project, first and foremost.

@ Dolnikan: I was prompted by your comment to go and actually look up the entry for "Mandalorian" on Wookiepedia. Holy cow! That thing has to be like five miles long! I just wanted to do a simple Boba Fett conversion without all that baggage created by the Star Wars Expanded Universe...  :o

On a related note, though, I just glanced over that article, but I already spotted the terms "Warmaster" and "Deathwatch" -- there might actually be a connection between the two universes after all  ;D

KrautScientist

Alright, everybody, here's the next one of Antrecht's henchmen. And I can promise the character is a little more serious than a revamped Boba Fett  :D

The idea of adding some kind of assassin to Inquisitor Antrecht's retinue had been banging around in the back of my head for quite some time. However, I wasn't really sure how to go about it: Perhaps add a Death Cult Assassin? But I didn't really have an interesting modeling idea for one of those (yet). At the same time, I have always liked the different Imperial Assassin models released by GW, but I really wanted to build an Assassin from plastic rather than use a "readymade" metal figure.

Everything started to make sense when two different influences intersected. The first of those was me reading through the old "Heavenfall" Adventurescape released as part of the "Inquisitor Conspiracies" series. I came across a character called  "The Sentinel", a rogue Vindicare Assassin turned serial killer, ostensibly driven mad by something so horrible it also turned him deaf. What a cool concept! The second thing that influenced me was when Ron Saikowski (of FTW fame) posted his fantastic plastic Eversor conversion. Take a look:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.de/2011/09/plastic-eversor-assassin-conversion-wip.html

And that pretty much decided it: I wanted an Assassin that was pretty recognisable as one of the Imperial Assassin types, but not quite. After all, a true Eversor Assassin wouldn't really make a compelling character, right?

Anyway, I gathered my bits and reveled in the modeling challenge. Here's what I ended up with:

Where Ron used an Eldar guardian as a base for his conversion, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a leftover Dark Eldar torso and legs courtesy of my ever helpful cousin Andy: The model was originally a Wych crew member from the Dark Eldar Venom kit, which explains the somewhat athletic pose – just what I wanted for my Assassin!

From there on out, it was really all about the bits. Like I said, I wanted the model to look fairly similar to an Eversor Assassin. I added a skull from some skeleton kit or other as his skull mask. His sword was originally a Falchion from the Grey Knights kit. I also added a couple of smaller bits and bobs to make him look less Xenos and more Imperial. The severed head was a shout out to Ron's model as well as to one of the older Eversor models from GW.
What I really like about the model though is the pose: It's really full of dynamism which I think is a rather nice fit for a killing machine on the prowl...

For the paintjob, I chose a rather muted palette, with a couple of red accents as the only standout colour. I really wanted to tie him together with the rest of Antrecht's merry little freakshow, and I guess I succeeded.

His face is the only part of him I'm not super-happy with: I would have loved to add a little more contrast, but the detailing on the skull was so soft that I didn't dare use too many coats of paint, lest the details, especially the teeth, be totally obscured.

Like with all my INQ28 models, I wrote some background for him. I asked myself how Antrecht would come to employ an assassin. And how an assassin in turn would come to work for Antrecht...

I really stepped out of my comfort zone writing this, and I am not quite sure if my English is up to the task. I'll let you be the judges of that. Here goes:

Officio Assassinorum Operative Sigma

Regaining consciousness. A room. Dimly lit. Walls, floor and ceiling made from heavily stained metal. The only source of light directly above. Blinding.

Bodily functions normal. No apparent damage. First attempt  at movement proves futile. Arms and legs restrained. Head also restrained. Shackles show no signs of yielding.

"It seems our guest is awake."

A voice. Male. Mocking undertone. Humanoid individual (owner of voice?) steps into field of vision. Human male. About 6 foot tall. Dressed in plain clothes. Appears to be in his early sixties. However, subtle signs of rejuvenat treatments. Also hints of augmentic implants on the back of the head. Facial features reveal individual to be Inquisitor Lazarus Antrecht, Ordo Malleus. Primary target.

"Careful, Antrecht!"

Another voice, originating from previously unnoticed individual in the shadows. Voice heavily garbled by use of vocal synthesizer and thus not clearly identifiable as male or female .

"The shackles should restrain it yet a while longer, and the drugs are still working. But considering its accelerated metabolism, I'd prefer it if you had your conversation while we are still safe."

Shape and posture of individual suggest extensive bionic augmentation. Red cloak suggests affiliation with Mechanicus cult. Subject identified with a probability of 76.6% as Magos Explorator Hiram Zeiss, reported M.I.A during mission on Varunth Minoris. Secondary target. Estimated distance to primary target: two steps. Estimated time of battle until termination of vital functions: three seconds. From there, distance to secondary target: one step. Estimated time until termination of vital functions: four seconds.

"I know what you are thinking"

The primary target.

"Let me assure you, your estimations are, shall we say, a little optimistic. But you are free to try, of course."

Another attempt at escape. Restrains prove unyielding again. No possible way of reaching primary target at this time. Conserve strength. Try again later.

"Well, there really is no talking to you, is there?" Aside to secondary target: "Hiram, would you be so kind? I suppose I should enjoy this conversation more it if our guest were somewhat less...single minded."

Secondary target seems to be manipulating a console. Pressing buttons. Result unkn...

...To begin with, pain. Lances of white hot lightning, piercing to the core.

"What you are feeling right now is the removal of certain...substances from your bloodstream. Since your organism has been attuned to these substances for Throne knows how long, you may find the resulting sensations to be somewhat disagreeable. Naturally, our good Magos Zeiss assures me that he has taken ample preparations to steel you against the more ...debilitating physical effects of your deprivation. "

And then, beyond the pain, something far worse. Something like an echo in the back of the head...

"There are some things, however, that we cannot spare you." A pause. " It appears that you are now suffering from the early symptoms of a most vicious disease. We call it 'sense of self'."

Darkness.

Awake again. Antrecht is in the room. Straining to understand his words. There is so much pain. And things far worse. Nooks and crannies where there used to be only the surface of a lake, undisturbed and pristine. But no longer.

"Let me explain to you how this matter will be resolved. I shall pose you a question. I shall give you a gift. I shall make you an offer. And then, everything else.

But first, the question." Antrecht's face is now entirely without humour. "The question is: Why?"

What does he mean? What does he want? It is growing more and more difficult to hold his gaze. If he would only say something. But he is just sitting there...

...sitting there looking.

Looking at...

...me

Darkness

Awake again.
"Back to the question at hand." Antrecht again: "Why all of this? Why want me dead?" He comes closer, gazing at me once again, unrelenting. "Not why your masters want me dead, mind you. I know that. Why do you want me dead...Operative Sigma? What do you stand to gain from this?"

What... do I

I...?

Darkness

"I promised you a gift, Operative Sigma, and you shall have it." A smile. "I shall give you the most valuable thing in this galaxy. I shall give you a choice."

The sound of the shackles springing open is very loud.

After a seemingly endless moment, Antrecht smiles:

"Very well then. Shall we talk about the offer I mentioned?"

So, that's about it. Let me know what you think!  :thumbsup:

Dolnikan

I really like the story, it shows great skill from the magus and is a good way to explain why the inquisitor ends up with such a creature.

The model is very good as well, the only thing that seems wrong to me are the yes, somehow I expect to see coloured lenses or something like that.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, Dolnikan! Concerning the eyes, I won't lie to you: I didn't add any lenses because I was too lazy and also too scared that I would somehow botch the job   ;D

Looking back at it now, though, I quite like the "blank" effect of the empty eye sockets as compared to the standard "glowing eyes of evil" normally seen on Eversor models, because it really fits the character: The murderous drive usually animating the assassin is gone, and it remains to be seen what - if anything - has replaced it...

But maybe that's just me rationalising the shortcomings of my conversion?  ;)

Dolnikan

It is a nice idea, and you are right, it shows what has changed in the character. This explanation gives more depth to the model, and even if it is to cover the shortcomings, it works.

Heroka Vendile

That's a nice conversion there. Eversors (or any Officio Assassinorum assassin) are hideous to face in Inquisitor, so I'm glad for your opponents that he's just a look-alike.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

KrautScientist

I actually did give a fair bit of thought to that: While I don't have any kind of character sheet for him (yet), it's clear that I wouldn't play him as a standard Eversor. You see, the "deprogramming" Antrecht and Zeiss put him through may have liberated his mind, but it's obvious that without all the drugs he would be quite a bit less powerful than a normal Eversor. Then again, it also makes him a more compelling character, to be sure  ;)

Shannow

Loving the model, actual has personality compared to stock model.

Also lovely paint job:)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.