Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Genetic Engineering - Vat Grown - Tau AI - Men of Iron?

Started by Nemesis, April 13, 2012, 03:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemesis

Loving your input, I was thinking along the lines of dozens of failed experiments but I was thinking a male and female seeing if there are different affect form the engineering.

All the failures turn into servitors but thinking this would be a problem with the regen stuffing up any implants?

Could the psychic gene come about through mutations of a batch? or would it have to be there form the start.

They look normal well the ones that didnt fail like regen going rampant rumors and extra limbs no servitors just disposed of.

Dolnikan

One could work with several lines besides eachother, some will be more succesful than others, some would be entirely terminated because there is too much inherent instability already.

The regeneration could cause problems with implants, but with timely surgery, if the regeneration is not too fast problems can be prevented if you are willing to continually operate. Another option would be to damage the ends of the limbs to such an extent that they cannot regenerate, regeneration could also be made dependent on signal substances, without them there would be no problem.

The psychic gene could get in there somehow, but as it is relatively rare it would be very uncommon to see it develop or already being there.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Nemesis

Now I got to start a back story where should I start

The inquisitor
The experiments
The augments

Thinking that the main inquisitor gets excommunicated they bombard the labs

My main character is one of the vat grown along with others escape but only two stay together.
But my main character gets taking by the black ships
The other goes off

On the black ship my main is scouted by a inquisitor (is this possible) or once onthe black ships there is no leaving? Main character is a latent Psyker thinking?

Comes of blackening stays with this inquisitor till he gets gutted by the deamon weapon he wields
now if she is a henchmen could she take u the badge or does it need to be voted on or something got to go read the lore again

Dolnikan

What sort of role will your main character serve?

I think that the being a psyker won't add much to the character, the being modified is already a big thing, also being a psyker would devaluate things. You could have her, along with some of the other survivors trying to continue their parent's work and to take revenge for what was done to them.

It is possible for an inquisitor to take someone from a black ship but most would prefer to take someone who has already been evaluated and sanctioned, it is a lot less trouble that way, untrained psykers are quite a burden to have around.

It is not automatic that a henchman becomes an inquisitor when their master dies, one has to be promoted by three inquisitors, all of them have to back the character.

The labs won't just be bombed, they will afterwards be attacked by storm troopers and the like to wipe out all traces, the inquisition can be very thorough when it comes to killing people they don't like and don't take half measures.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Nemesis

Are wryd powered still classified as psychic and would be picked up black ships?

I was thinking she would meet back up with the others at a lab that was focused on Men of Iron but during a raid by another inquisitor my characters freind is downed but the inquisitor is push back the place his mind into the machine that was prepared for another subject which was lost in the raid.

What strength could she have physically or str stat while not having massive arms realistically in game wise.

Dolnikan

It depends on what the wyrd power represents, but when it is psychic in anture the black ships will come for the character, and wyrd is even rarer than normal psychic ability, making chances even lower for it to appear in someone like her.

The mind of her friend could be placed into the machine, but it would lose much of its personality in the process, it is a very traumatic thing after all to be reduced to a brain in a jar.

She could have any strength you think fits with the character, her past and of course what sorts of modifications were made.

Draco Ferox

Going back to the men of iron and why he wants to control them, I suspect that you're going on Dan Abnett's description of them from a Gaunt's ghosts novel, the name of which escapes me. Bear in mind that whilst they are hostile to those who awaken them, they have been corrupted by chaos, and that it was the self-awareness of the men of iron that lead to war. I imagine that a man of iron would act like a normal human, and war only broke out when the Imperium decided that it needed to subjugate them, much like many human enclaves did when the time came to be subsumed into the imperium. That the men of Iron were much more difficult to subjugate was merely a part of why they were outlawed.

On appearance, I woudl way that they would look somehthing like a human-sized necron, without the elongated skull, or the glowig green weapons. They would probably look a bit like the terminator, sans teeth, and most would have been made in the image of either their creator, or whatever the "ideal" human was at the time.

I like the idea of transplanting an organic brain into one, as well as trying to genetically engineer "superior" beings. I would say that studying the dark eldar haemonclii would be an appropriate way to go about this, as they are masters of the subject. I would say that if they had a fast regeneration built-in, it would increase the risk of cancers and tumours, wheras a mass effect asari-like regeneration would mean that they are no less prone to damage than other humans, but live much longer.

For the true grit part, I would say that the ability is more to do with refusal to give up, and the ability to fight through pain and injury to get back on one's feet and to keep fighting, rather than to not feel pain.

As for mechanical brain implants, there are tech-priests who have managed to remove their emotions, and view the world through an entirely logical (or so they think) filter, making them superior beings, as the flesh is weak, and the machine is incapable of error.

As an additional, there are reports of people with leprosy who have lost all feeling in their arms taking trays directly out of the oven with their bare hands, and causing massive tissue damage without realising it. A person who doesn't feel pain would have this problem, especially on the battlefield, where missing limbs and suchlike would be ignored (black knight), meaning that a person could bleed to death without realising it. I would also suggest that the abilities unstoppable and just a flesh wound would represent this fairy well, so for a vat-grown construct built not to feel pain these rules would seem appropriate, wheras for a fighter who never gives up, no matter how many times they have had their body rent and torn, true grit is perfect. It would also say that true grit would be good for a standard man of iron, as presumably their control protocols instruct them to fight to the last.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

DapperAnarchist

There was a comic featuring a Man of Iron, available in one of the collections that Warhammer Monthy/Inferno released. This one was about Arbitrators shutting down a banned Mechanicus dig. The Man of Iron (just one) was an AI complex, a very large machine, with a wide variety of drone servants, larger than humans, using chainblade weapons and for some reason with animal-skull heads.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Koval

Quote from: Nemesis on April 13, 2012, 12:16:40 PM
Now I got to start a back story where should I start

The inquisitor
The experiments
The augments

Thinking that the main inquisitor gets excommunicated they bombard the labs
Too many people start off with radical/excommunicated types, to the point where it's rare to see it done well. I'd stay away from this.

QuoteMy main character is one of the vat grown along with others escape but only two stay together.
You're assuming this vat-grown character is A) intelligent B) healthy. Your character's never used her muscles before, for example, or really learned anything. At best, you'd end up with someone that doesn't know how or why they know things -- to say nothing for understanding the reasons why they're being attacked.

QuoteBut my main character gets taking by the black ships
More likely she'd be killed.
QuoteThe other goes off
More likely this one would be killed as well...

QuoteOn the black ship my main is scouted by a inquisitor (is this possible)
Very very unlikely, because I doubt Inquisitors want to deal with the stigma of employing unsanctioned psykers. This is actually why, if they find one of their acolytes is a latent psyker, they pack them off to Terra specifically to be sanctioned.

QuoteComes of blackening stays with this inquisitor till he gets gutted by the deamon weapon he wields
Another daemon weapon popping up out of the blue to kill its owner. We call this a Diabolus Ex Nihilo. It doesn't add anything to your plot -- you could just say your Inquisitor was killed off by a rival.

Quotenow if she is a henchmen could she take u the badge or does it need to be voted on or something got to go read the lore again
Deathbed promotions are boring, and just taking up your master's mantle after he gets killed off is just unfeasible. Especially when he's enough of a heretic to be lugging that daemon weapon around and espousing the return of the Iron Men. To answer your question, your character would need to be approved by rather a lot of existing Inquisitors, else passed on to someone else that can continue to train her, but under the present circumstances it's more likely she'd be executed.

QuoteAre wryd powered still classified as psychic and would be picked up black ships?
Yes, very much so. Wyrds are like Harry Potter making things happen without knowing how or why. They can just "do things" that are as natural to them as breathing, but over which they have as little control as they do over their heart rates. If they're not picked up by the Black Ships they'd be killed off by superstitious locals that want to burn witches.

I was thinking she would meet back up with the others at a lab that was focused on Men of Iron
Such labs would be very difficult for even Inquisitors to find. Your character would have to be more resourceful than a lot of Inquisitors to find this place, assuming it even exists.
Quotebut during a raid by another inquisitor my characters freind is downed but the inquisitor is push back
Again, Inquisitors are too resourceful for that -- if they're raiding a heretek lab then they're going to have rather a lot more at their disposal than you could "push back".
Quotethe place his mind into the machine that was prepared for another subject which was lost in the raid.
Iron Men don't revolve around biotransference. They're AIs. You're confusing them with new Necrons.

What strength could she have physically or str stat while not having massive arms realistically in game wise.
As much or as little as makes sense in context.

Quote from: Draco Feroxwheras a mass effect asari-like regeneration would mean that they are no less prone to damage than other humans, but live much longer.
You're thinking of krogan and vorcha, methinks.

Dolnikan

I think that transplanting a brain into an iron man is possible with a lot(meaning a lot) of rebuilding in the head, or wherever the main programming was done. This would still be very troublesome and burn through a lot of  test subjects but it is within the realm of possiblility when you have some very good tech priests working on it. They are AI's yes, but the AI is only a part of it, it is what drives the body, not the body itself. Basically the Iron Man is reduced to an empty shell, which it will have to be to be found, there would be a lot of damage. Then, using MIU's to connect to the motor units a brain can be placed inside the thing.

OT: How is it possible that as soon as I write anything about Iron Men that I get a song stuck in my head?

Nemesis

The inquisitor knows of the corruption of the Men of Iron but with the Idea of rewrite the AI with Tau or organic brain. he doesn't need the other Men of Iron he needs the warriors Men of Iron that conquered the galaxy in the time of the Dark Age. I think the servants and other Men of Iron used for labor task would be different to one used for Thought processes and others used for conquest.

With the Wyrd power I was thinking that the character is trying to open the cell door and it won't budge so she starts to panic and it starts to give but this could be changed to the Engineering giving higher then average str

Nemesis

QuoteYou're assuming this vat-grown character is A) intelligent B) healthy. Your character's never used her muscles before, for example, or really learned anything. At best, you'd end up with someone that doesn't know how or why they know things -- to say nothing for understanding the reasons why they're being attacked.

The character been out of the Vat for some time training under Henchmen and the Inquisitor.

And if the psychic story taken away she doesn't meet the second Inquisitor the one with the daemon weapon ( servant Bound, Demonbane) don't know how daemon weapons would work but it kills the other inquisitor so it could be wielded by my character?

the Men of Iron Lab only has one in there studying it and its a relic damage getting repair and probably modified before arriving.

The inquisitor might be pushed back if he was expecting a abandoned lab?

Dolnikan

I'm afraid that even with greatly enhanced strength pushing open a cell door would be immensely hard. Cell doors are designed to take a lot of punishment before they give in, especially when there is genetic engineering of any kind involved, you don't want your test subjects to escape.

There is hardly anything known about the Men of Iron, but they will probably be a broad range of robots, with the problem of their AI being a bit too good. Replacing the AI would make them far less useful but still a nice tool. One of the main issues with trying to use them in large numbers would be that the Mechanicus lacks the ability to make them. They can build the Imperial Robots but nothing like the old Men of Iron, which were the height of human technology.

The character could still meet with another inquisitor somehow, perhaps even an old ally of her first master. I would just leave out the daemon weapons and have her recruited after a while as a mercenary because of her great skills due to the enhancements.

There is no need for the second attack on the lab, the inquisitor could also take someone she takes a liking to to put in there.

Koval

QuoteYou're assuming this vat-grown character is A) intelligent B) healthy. Your character's never used her muscles before, for example, or really learned anything. At best, you'd end up with someone that doesn't know how or why they know things -- to say nothing for understanding the reasons why they're being attacked.

The character been out of the Vat for some time training under Henchmen and the Inquisitor.
This was not made clear.

QuoteAnd if the psychic story taken away she doesn't meet the second Inquisitor the one with the daemon weapon ( servant Bound, Demonbane) don't know how daemon weapons would work but it kills the other inquisitor so it could be wielded by my character?
Your character would not have a daemon weapon. They're incredibly difficult and incredibly heretical to make, and there's no guarantee that you'd survive its creation (seeing as it requires, y'know, binding a very angry daemon inside an inanimate object).

Quotethe Men of Iron Lab only has one in there studying it and its a relic damage getting repair and probably modified before arriving.
Either it's a very heavily fortified Mechanicus vault, or it's a very well-hidden heretic stronghold. Nothing else would really do this Iron Man any justice, and in any case the likelihood of your character finding that is very slim indeed.

QuoteThe inquisitor might be pushed back if he was expecting a abandoned lab?
If he was expecting an abandoned lab then I'm sorry, but that's a prize idiot, not an Inquisitor.

Kaled

I've just read through this thread, and I think the real problem is not with the individual ideas, but with the combination. It's got genetic modification, cloning, reprogrammed xeno-tech, brain transplants, psykers, wyrds, daemon weapons, death-bed promotions, and 20,000 year old robot soldiers. It's far too much. It seems like there's enough ideas there for a whole load of Inquisitor warbands. I would suggest just focussing in on a couple of aspects and save the others for future projects. With them all it's never going to be believable.

Why not build your warband around a tech-priest who has studied Tau drone technology and an Inquisitor who believes that the tech-priests research can be used to create a force of robotic soldiers similar to the Iron Men of legend. So far they have various test subjects - maybe a servitor whose brain has (partially) been replaced by Tau drone tech, or a largely mechanical body that still has a human brain. And as this is the 41st millenium, and you want them to be playable in the game, the experiments should be failures that don't work all that well, but the tech-priest and inquisitor are using them as guards as they search our more knowledge to perfect their creations.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat