Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New here.

Started by Nash, September 11, 2009, 02:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nash

Hello all.

I'm Nash, French, 32... You may know me from a few other 40K boards, but if you don't I'll just say that I'm what most would call a fluff-nut, spending more time reading background and writing about the personal stories of the small pieces of plastic/metal I own than actual playing with them...

I occasionally play Inq28 mainly because my friends and I like to have long campaigns mixing all systems and sometimes a few games of Inquisitor is the best way to show that small skirmishes can decide of the fate of a whole campaign... And we play 28mm because we're not gonna buy 54mm minis just for a few games a year.

There... That'll be all for now... Unless you've got questions of course.

precinctomega

Quotewe play 28mm because we're not gonna buy 54mm minis just for a few games a year.

Why not?

R.

Kaled

WELCOME TO THE CONCLAVE!  :)

Good to have you here.

Quote from: Nash on September 11, 2009, 02:56:11 PM
And we play 28mm because we're not gonna buy 54mm minis just for a few games a year.
You could buy them just because they're cool and look good on you shelf... most of my models have never seen the tabletop.

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Simeon Blackstar

In fact, it sounds to me strangely like you're being encouraged to play more Inquisitor...  ;D

Good to have a new face around - we'd really like to see the 28mm models you've made too.

Nash

Quote from: precinctomega on September 11, 2009, 04:33:05 PMWhy not?
Because we'd rather spend our hard earned money on stuff we'll actually use... Isn't that a good enough reason? :P

Kaled, they look good on shelves indeed, and I admit I do have a handful on mines purely for decorative purposes, and that our group's terrain maker has used a few to make statues... However converting a handful 28mm models to play a couple games within a broader campaign is much more cost effective to us ;)

Simeon, it sounds like it indeed... ;) As far as pics of my models are concerned, well, it may take a while since my girlfriend accidentally broke the camera I was offered for xmas a few years ago and, since I actually have little use for a camera (my cell phone does good enough pictures to immortalize the moments of my life I deem worth it), I'll wait for someone to offer me another :P So, I promise I will post pics asap, but since I won't make you suffer through the blurry-pics-of-death-taken-with-a-cellphone torture, you really shouldn't hold your breath.

precinctomega

QuoteBecause we'd rather spend our hard earned money on stuff we'll actually use... Isn't that a good enough reason?

I should state from the off that I have no dramas with Inq28 as a playing choice.  There are lots of reasons to do Inq28.  It's just that cost isn't one of them.

If you want to play at 54mm but think it's too expensive, then you need to spend more time on eBay, where INQ models and suitable miniatures at the same scale can be picked up second hand - or even new, sometimes - for substantially less than a typical 28mm character model.

Eisenhorn

Josef

Tyrus

Guardsman

Another Guardsman

R.

Gestalt

Molotov has admirably shown that there is nothing wrong with 28mm Inq. over 54mm Inq.

Welcome to the Conclave.
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

Nash

Quote from: precinctomega on September 12, 2009, 08:35:05 AMI should state from the off that I have no dramas with Inq28 as a playing choice.  There are lots of reasons to do Inq28.  It's just that cost isn't one of them.
Alright, are "because that way we have most of the terrain pieces necessary to play the scenarios we imagine without having to build them which is always a time consuming process --time being the one factor we often lack being all adults with families" and/or "because it gives us access to a much wider selection of models which, through very little or no conversion at all, can be usable to create very uncharacteristic war bands" and/or "because that way we can use the same models during bigger battles which gives us a greater sense of continuity during our mixed-system campaigns" better reasons?

And, just to make things clearer, whatever the price of 54mm figs, when you already have the models in 28mm it'll always be much more cost effective to play 28mm than buy new figs.

Kaled

No one here is saying you can't play at 28mm, please don't take it as a personal attack because I'm sure it's not meant that way, but often people have preconcieved ideas about playing at 54mm that are not always correct - those of us who do love 54mm will always try to set the record straight (just as those who prefer 28mm will likewise defend that).

54mm models can be bought very cheaply if you shop around (I once got four GW models for £5 +P&P on eBay and I frequently see them sell for less than the cost of a 28mm special character)  Almost all 28mm terrain works perfectly well at 54mm (in fact, while tidying out my parents house I found some of the old terrain I used for games of Epic, which my brother used in games of Necromunda, and I realised that some of it would work perfectly well at 54mm too).  There's a huge range of 54mm models out there, many of which require very little conversion to be used in the game.  And if you want to use the same characters in both 28mm and 54mm games, then with a little work you can easily convert 28mm versions of 54mm characters (and vice versa).

None of those thinsg should be a bit stumbling block when it comes to playing at 54mm, but if you prefer 28mm, that's entirely up to you.  How about showing off some of your 28mm conversions - I know there are people here who would love to see them.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Nash

Well, I'm not taking it personally at all, I didn't even take it as an attack... I was just explaining my reasons, one of them being that I don't see the point of spending yet more money to play at another scale when I (we, actually) already have all the models and terrain necessary to play at 28mm ;) But actually what I feel is important is to make sure evryone understands the other's position, even if we only agree to disagree, because I can't imagine coming to a board and starting on "bad" grounds because of a misundertanding...

And as far as posting pics of my models, like I said to Simeon, it'll unfortunately have to wait because I won't spend money on a camera with a macro setting I have no other use for than taking pics of my minis to post on the web...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Nash on September 12, 2009, 10:57:04 AM"because it gives us access to a much wider selection of models which, through very little or no conversion at all, can be usable to create very uncharacteristic war bands"
The main gripe you'll find about Inq28 here is this. People using models that just simply don't look the part for Inquisitor, because they haven't put in the effort in to them.
Molotov off this site plays with 28mm, and although not everybody agrees with his choice, almost everyone respects it - because well.... bloody hell. Titanic effort is going into those models.

Basically, as it was put on Warseer - it looks like the model could be Tom, Dick or Harry from your 40k army, then it's bad. If you can tell it's something more special than that, it's (probably) acceptable.

Of course, one of the big arguments against Inq28 is that it makes it so easy to bring along models that really don't belong on the Inquisitor table, except under very exceptional circumstances: 'Nid gaunts, Tau Battlesuits (although that said, a one-off game with a Stealthsuit might be an interesting concept), Orks... all kinds of things that have next to no place in the battle for the Emperor's soul.

But with players that understand that Inquisitor is not just 40k with bigger models, then you can get away with it.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Nash

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 12, 2009, 04:03:33 PMThe main gripe you'll find about Inq28 here is this. People using models that just simply don't look the part for Inquisitor, because they haven't put in the effort in to them.
True, it's something I can clearly understand...

Let me explain something: when we set up a campaign, which most of the time will involve using most (if not all) game systems set in the 41st millenium, we put a lot of thought into the forces we'll align. And we put much more importance upon our individual minis' background and convertion than most would. (We've even instored a homegrown rule to give more importance to our characters in "normal" Warhammer 40000 games --see here)
And thus when we align a war band for the one or two games of Inq28 we've decided to play (because it represents a small event that might "turn the tide" of the bigger events, or it might unveil a mistery about the broader campaign) the models we use tend to be models we've put some effort in... However, if we need a handful Pink Horrors or an Alpha Legion Space Marine for a specific game, it's easier for us to grab one of the already converted 28mm models from one of the group's members army (or one of our Necromunda gangs, or one of our kill-team models, or whatever...) than to convert a 54mm one for that specific scenario.

I do understand why this approach to the game can appear "heretical" to the true devotees of Inquisitor, but to us it just fits our needs and our goal: to have fun playing while telling a story on different levels be it from fights into space between huge vessels to the discovery that the Planetary Governor was in fact the heretic puppet of an Alpha Legion cell... And if we can do so without spending more than necessary on something which is after all just a hobby, it's always a plus.

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 12, 2009, 04:03:33 PM
(although that said, a one-off game with a Stealthsuit might be an interesting concept)

In fact, I'm planning exactly that, using a Forgeworld Shas'o Ry'myr as an experimental Stealth Suit to spring on my players ;)

Welcome to the fold Nash, we look forward to seeing your minions!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.