Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Pinion Cell: 28mm

Started by Koval, April 28, 2012, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koval

Done this morning with limited resources, only modelling tools at my disposal being clippers and glue, and a few bitz were taken from GW Cambridge's bitz box as I don't have a bitz box any more. I'm not a good modeller by any means, but I figured, "might as well have a punt"

Starting with a Cadian Command Squad and a box of Space Marine Scouts, I ended up putting the guys from this thread together in the space of a morning.

I have very limited space in my room so all photos were taken on the same corner of my computer workstation (which I had to protect with several sheets of paper while gluing). If you look carefully you'll see a stack of files crammed up against my wardrobe :P

Arbitrator Oscar Lozano, front view (flask is meant to be his amasec)
Arbitrator Oscar Lozano, side view (shotgun and legs from the Scout box, arms and everything else from the Cadians)

Tech-Priest Willem Cals, front view (better quality than the old one, although you can now see the USB connector for my laptop's cooling stand...)
Tech-Priest Willem Cals, side view (head*, left hand and auspex from -- I think -- a Tactical Squad box, pistol taken from the Scouts with the magazine removed)

Trooper Ivor Kass, front/right view (and after this photo was taken, his arms fell off and needed regluing)
Trooper Ivor Kass, left view (backpack came from a Scout, everything else was Cadians as he's a Guard squaddie)

Savant-Warrant Gerlach MacKay, front view (staff was a Chaos Space Marine icon-pole, head from a WFB Chaos Warrior mace, and oddly enough the ponytail was a pommel ornament on a Chaos Marine's chainsword)
Savant-Warrant Gerlach MacKay, side view (better quality photo than the one I had up earlier, though I just had another case of arms falling off once I'd taken it)

Apologies for those pictures that appear indistinct -- my camera's not the greatest one out there (EDIT: although I've re-taken the blurriest ones)

*I couldn't find any hooded heads in the bitz box at GW Cambridge, and couldn't justify spending £15 on a Dark Angel Veterans box just for a hooded head. So the next best thing will eventually be a paint job that makes Cals' flesh appear a bit dead, once I get round to painting these guys...

Adlan

Fuzzy though the pics are, I think I like the Savant best. The others look like troop choices TBH. Painted up, it might be a different matter.

Koval

Quote from: Adlan on April 28, 2012, 08:18:06 PM
The others look like troop choices TBH.
That was actually my intention, seeing as this is essentially a warband of henchmen* that are all either ex-military** or ex-Arbites. If I ever build up a decent-sized bitz box again*** then I can start making flashier characters that warrant the extra flash, but these guys are essentially just an Inquisitor's hangers-on. That said, as you point out, paint may well change all that.

I think I've managed to get some better pictures of Cals and MacKay as theirs were arguably the fuzziest. Let's see what they look like on the screen. (EDIT: Sufficiently improved to warrant replacing the old links :P )

*The Inquisitor they were attached to isn't coming back, so they're technically acolytes without an Inquisitor whose acolytes they can be.
**Cals is former Forge Guard Auxilia, so crossing the border into Skitarii territory, and Savant-Warrant MacKay is more or less the battle-psyker version of a warrant officer.
***I've honestly no idea where my bitz box went, but I suspect I put it in the shed because of the space it was taking up.

DapperAnarchist

Re: Hoods, check around on WarSeer for Horwerth's AdMech plog, he has a nice easy method of making very nice looking hoods in GS.

I really like the idea of a warband of Inquisitorial Agents, still with either the access codes or the contacts they need, but abandoned in some way - their Inquisitor is dead, or imprisoned, or gone traitor, or has cut them off without successfully killing them. I may try that for a future warband, there's a lot of potential for complex characters, conflicts, difficulties, all that...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Koval

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on April 28, 2012, 09:49:42 PM
I really like the idea of a warband of Inquisitorial Agents, still with either the access codes or the contacts they need, but abandoned in some way - their Inquisitor is dead, or imprisoned, or gone traitor, or has cut them off without successfully killing them. I may try that for a future warband, there's a lot of potential for complex characters, conflicts, difficulties, all that...
Officially, their Inquisitor is still alive. Only officially, mind you. :P

Re. the hoods -- I'll go take a look and pray I still have some Green Stuff. If not, I'm sure there's something else I can pick up in Cambridge while I'm down there :P

Keravin

I do like the idea of a group functioning like this.   Savant and the Arbitrator are the models I like most.   

DapperAnarchist

That's even better! That allows for conflicts within the group, that can be exploited during a campaign, between those who think they should go to the Conclave and come clean (the Arbitrator, surely) and those who think they need to carry on as before, pretending nothing has changed (the Savant, maybe? or the Trooper, as a tired cynical soldier type, a la the sort of soldier described in a lot of Vietnam memoirs).
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Brother_Brimstone

Quote from: Koval on April 28, 2012, 03:59:58 PM
Done this morning with limited resources, only modelling tools at my disposal being clippers and glue, and a few bitz were taken from GW Cambridge's bitz box as I don't have a bitz box any more. I'm not a good modeller by any means, but I figured, "might as well have a punt"

Sorry to slightly derail things but did they give you that stuff knowing you were going to use it for Inq? I go to uni in Cambridge and popped down to the store and asked about Inquisitor, even bringing some 54mm models with me, and was more or less told it was never going to happen...

If there's some Inq28 stuff going on in Cambridge GW, hot damn! I'd like to get in on that!

Koval

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on April 29, 2012, 12:18:09 AM
Sorry to slightly derail things but did they give you that stuff knowing you were going to use it for Inq? I go to uni in Cambridge and popped down to the store and asked about Inquisitor, even bringing some 54mm models with me, and was more or less told it was never going to happen...
They knew about it, yes, but there's not exactly much sign of Inquisitor-friendly stuff going on down that way. That said, the store manager apparently wants to see the Arbitrator when I've painted him.

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on April 29, 2012, 12:00:10 AM
That's even better! That allows for conflicts within the group, that can be exploited during a campaign, between those who think they should go to the Conclave and come clean (the Arbitrator, surely) and those who think they need to carry on as before, pretending nothing has changed (the Savant, maybe? or the Trooper, as a tired cynical soldier type, a la the sort of soldier described in a lot of Vietnam memoirs).
Well, the Arbitrator has "proof"* that the Inquisitor's still alive, but the cell already lost one guy** because he had no reason to believe the evidence was genuine. Having said that, it's certainly an interesting direction in which I could eventually take the group.

*Unfortunately, see the Lines Drawn OOC for the reason why this proof isn't genuine, though the cell didn't actually have anything to do with it.
**Severino Valdez, from the (cancelled) Darkness And Light RP. Turns out joining Inquisitor Creed was his saving grace.

Dolnikan

A nice bunch of professional-looking people. They look the part of a bunch of people used by an inquisitor for more violent missions.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

RobSkib

Looking good, considering the fairly stock original pieces, Good work making them look individual! I'll be interested to see how you will paint them - do you have any ideas for colour schemes yet? Also, what will you be doing with the bases?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Koval

Quote from: RobSkib on April 30, 2012, 12:26:44 PM
Looking good, considering the fairly stock original pieces, Good work making them look individual!
Thank you. Plastic's the only medium with which I can work remotely well. Had I a proper bitz box, I'd have probably done a bit more with these guys :P

QuoteI'll be interested to see how you will paint them - do you have any ideas for colour schemes yet?
I'll have to find a unifying element so as to avoid having four completely unrelated looking guys. Some sort of visual motif that says "okay, so maybe we are four unrelated guys, but we're working for the same Inquisitor". Differing quantities of black, dark red, and some sort of browny colour* should tie them together fairly nicely without overly compromising their individual natures.

QuoteAlso, what will you be doing with the bases?
I'm thinking that maybe I can work out a way to do them up like a road surface, but all options are on the table at the moment.

*Using images of Elysians in IA3, and pictures of the Armageddon Steel Legion minis, I reckon that Desert Yellow looks like a decent enough starting point for this "browny colour", assuming it's still called Desert Yellow given the paint-name-changes.[/quote]

Koval

THREADOMANCY GO!

Currently, these guys are mostly painted aside from some touch-up work and maybe a slight bit of extra highlighting. I can't pretend my painting's especially good, but for the most part I'm happy with what I have.

Arbitrator Oscar Lozano, front view
Side view

Tech-Priest Willem Cals

Trooper Ivor Kass

Savant-Warrant Gerlach MacKay

Eventually, I'll add Tobin to this motley crew as well, but he's currently got his own thread. :P

Karamazov

Nice job on the painting.  My only nit-pick would be to go back through and try to "blend out" some of where the wash stayed.  The wash appears a little heavy, and one thing you could do is either paint a light watered down coat over it in an attempt to blend it out.  Alternatively, the wash is such that you could literally use water to try to spread it around.  Wetblend the wash back into the the upper parts of the miniature.  It would not require too much water, just dampen the brush and blend it back upwards of the recess.  The goal is not to remove the wash, but just make it blend more into the colors of the model.  The only other thing is to drill out the gun barrels with a small drill bit, which is just a personal preference of mine.  Keep it up. 

Koval

Yeah, I'm going to go out at lunch today and try to pick up a pot of some fairly appropriate dark red, or reddish brown, to try and sort out that mess around the hem of Cals' coat, and possibly an appropriate brown for MacKay. I needed to go out for a lighter grey and some Bleached Bone equivalent anyway, so I don't need a further excuse when I'm going already :P