Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Warband 2 - Inquisitor Rayne Serephene

Started by Hum_Con, May 21, 2012, 10:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hum_Con

With Hans Grummond's warband completed and painted, I decided I needed another one to act as potential adversary. Starting with the Inquisitor. When I'm done here I will post her model in the Painting and Modelling section.

Inquisitor Rayne Serephene

Rayne Serephene was trained from an early age as a seductress on the pleasure planet of Khysis. The seductresses of Khysis were a dedicated order of courtesan-spies, who used their considerable talents to extract information from unwilling and unwitting victims. It was a role in which Serephene excelled, not least because of her considerable telepathic talents, a psychic gift she kept carefully concealed. Her comfortable life came to an abrupt end when her abilities were uncovered by the noted Witchfinder Inquisitor Schorner.

Puritanical by philosophy, but radical by means, Inquisitor Schorner trained Acolytes to Infilitrate Chaos cults and heretical organisations as double agents and used the intelligence gathered to bring them down. Serephene's skills and talents were perfect for his needs. Schorner gave her a simple choice, join him or be burned at the stake.

After some months of training, Serephene was put to work infiltrating the Cult of the Crested Serpent, a corrupt organisation of dissolute Imperial Nobles in the Maglos sector. She proved highl adept, gathering considerable information without being uncovered. She followed this with further successes breaking the Gaping Maw cult, the Raglon Heresy and the Skitergaze clan. Serephene proved to be a highly gifted actor, able to completely immerse herself in her role and blend into all manner of society from sumptuous nobility to outlaw gangs. In fact, she was so successful that several of her alternate personae are still wanted by Imperial authorities.

But her mentor never revealed to her was just how dangerous her new role was. The life expectancy of his acolytes was measure in months at best. Even if they did manage to remain undetected, Schorner would eventually declare them corrupted by their experiences and execute them. Serephene was by far his longest serving Acolyte, but even her days would have been numbered if not for the sudden death of Inquisitor Schorner on Daedalus V. Serephene took up his Inquisitorial seal and completed the mission.

Inquisitorial seals inherited in the line of duty have always been somewhat contentious and their were calls to strip the very young, by Inquisition standards, Serephene of the seal. But the venerable Inquisitor Lord Goroke spoke up in her favour, pointing to her considerable success rate. That Schorner would eventually have disposed of her remained unknown, or at least unspoken.

Despite her elevation to Inquisitor, Serephene continued much as she had before, infiltrating heretical organisations in order to destroy them from within. And her success rate was considerable. However, she was not without her detractors. After Exterminatus was called on planet Corcharon following the opening of warp gates in two of its major cities, Serephene's failure to act sooner was called into question. More sympathetic Inquisitors argued that even the most successful Inquisitor has some failures. Darker voices said that fall of Corcharon had been no accident, that Serephene had become the very thing she had pretended to be. Others whispered that she had engineered the death of Inquisitor Schorner and even that she knew secrets about Inquisitor Lord Goroke that forced him to support her.

In fact, Serephene is a radical Isstvanian, who long ago abandoned any loyalty to the Imperium, let alone the Inquisition, and sees her duty as to humanity itself. Serephene believes that the Imperium in its current state is hopelessly corrupt and stagnant. The only chance for humanity in a hostile universe is to reconstitute it entirely through strife or to replace it with an entirely new order. With that in mind, she seeks out radical and revolutionary organisations and builds them up to be a true threat to the established order. She then passes on their information to the Inquisition. Her reasoning being that the organisation most able to use her skills is the most fit to survive. She has no particular commitment to any ideology, Imperial, Radical, even Chaotic, it doesn't matter, the strongest should govern humanity.

Strangely, in spite of her indifference to cause and organisations, Serephene is very close to her Acolytes. Each of them is carefully selected and chosen to be true allies in her cause. She is not naive, and would sacrifice any of them if necessary, but only if necessary. She does not dispose of Acolytes out of hand like Schorner. The one secret she has always kept is her telepathic powers, reasoning that it would be impossible for her Acolytes to trust her if they knew she could hear their thoughts.

Striking and charismatic, Serephene is not a physical fighter, but uses her telepathic powers as a weapon. She is able to adapt herself perfectly to the people around her manipulating them to suit her own goals. And when that fails, planting images of horror in their minds can be just as effective, while her acolytes handle the heavy work.

WS BS S   T   I    Wp Sg  Nv Ld
55  43 48 52 73 84   80 60  81

Right Handed

Equipment: Force Staff, Sword, Laspistol

Armour: Flak (4) on Chest, Abdomen and Groin, Robes (2) everywhere else except head.

Psychic Powers: Demoralise, Distraction, Embolden, Enforce Will, Mind Scan, Terrify

Talents: Leader

I wanted her to be a thinker and a Psyker rather than a fighter, so I kept most of her combat characteristics relatively low, but her Leadership, Willpower and Sagacity high. I tried to give her a good mix of interesting, but not overly powerful telepathic powers. She doesn't have Telepathy because, although she can do it, she doesn't use because it would give her away.

Kaled

Quote from: Hum_Con on May 21, 2012, 10:11:49 PM
She doesn't have Telepathy because, although she can do it, she doesn't use because it would give her away.
Then surely she should have Telepathy, even if she doesn't use it?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Hum_Con

It's much of muchness really. I can write it down and say she doesn't use it, or just leave it off as it makes no practical difference to her rules. But I'm not sure it makes sense to include an ability she doesn't use. Look at it another way, in effect she can't use that ability, just of a different reason than normal. In this case, she can't use it, not because of lack of ability, but because it compromises her persona. In that sense, it is an ability not available to her.

MarcoSkoll

Include it anyway. That way, if it does come down to a case in game where the situation is dire enough that she would use it (or indeed, if she were to be "compelled" by some manner), it's actually on her character sheet.

A character sheet should be what a character can do, not what they will do.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: Hum_Con on May 21, 2012, 11:00:09 PM
It's much of muchness really.
I disagree. If the fate of the Imperium rests on someone sending a telepathic message, would she really not send it because it compromises her? Inquisitors should have to make some hard choices now and then.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Dolnikan

I would remove the part about not being a physical fighter and using her powers to fight, this would not work all that well if they are a carefully preserved secret. Her ws and bs show that she still is a reasonably good combatant, she could perhaps use weapons such as a poisoned dagger and other typical easy to hide weapons.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Adlan

I also think she should go to the blackships.

And then you can have a plot point. Maybe she's still trying to destroy the final copies of the records that show she has telepathic skills? Maybe someone has a suspicion and wants to track her down and examine her brain. Maybe someone has the record and thinks she's lost a power, and wants to know why, and this be able to disable all psychers eventually?

Lots of fun.

Otherwise, great character. Should have Telepathy on the sheet though.

Hum_Con

I still don't think telepathy belongs on the sheet, but I shall add a note.

Quote from: Dolnikan on May 22, 2012, 07:53:34 AM
I would remove the part about not being a physical fighter and using her powers to fight, this would not work all that well if they are a carefully preserved secret. Her ws and bs show that she still is a reasonably good combatant, she could perhaps use weapons such as a poisoned dagger and other typical easy to hide weapons.

I will probably clarify that, as I  meant that she isn't a physical fighter by Inquisitorial standards. She has a laspistol and a force staff and can handle herself in a pinch.

But, as far as her Acolytes are concerned, she doesn't actually do much fighting. This is why I gave her quite subtle telepathic powers. If her Acolytes are feeling more confident they're hardly going to notice anything. Similarly, an opponent, dropping a weapon, tripping over the own feet or running away from a fight doesn't automatically suggest psychic powers at work.

MarcoSkoll

But psychic powers don't always go completely to plan. There are often side-effects and bizarre phenomena, so you can't practically keep and use the secret at the same time.

Her acolytes would have to be wilfully ignorant to not even suspect it.

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 22, 2012, 08:03:14 PM

Wilfully ignorant people? In the Imperium of man!?

Burn the heretic!!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

While there is certainly wilful ignorance in the Imperium, it certainly does not pertain to their paranoias. People will get lynched or burnt at the stake for the merest hint that they might be "tainted".

What with the skill set the Inquisition needs, wilful ignorance of suspicious signs or behaviours is unlikely to be a trait common amongst their agents.

GW's =I= articles

Hum_Con

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 22, 2012, 08:03:14 PM
But psychic powers don't always go completely to plan. There are often side-effects and bizarre phenomena, so you can't practically keep and use the secret at the same time.

If you're throwing lightning bolts around sure, but the side effects of misused telepathy is more likely to be a nasty migrane. Plus, we are talking about individuals accustomed to being around strange phenomena, it doesn't follow that Serephene would be the source.

But perhaps a small qualifier is in order, maybe her acolytes know she's a psyker, she does have a force staff, but not that she's a telepath.

Hum_Con

Character 2. Once again, I will post the picture in the painting and modelling section.

Tech Priest Martel Cranch

Martel Cranch was void born on a charter ship, where he was apprenticed to the ships attendant Tech-Priest, Parizianski. In space, where a technical failure can lead to loss of life or even the ship, rigidly following the rules of the Mechanicum is not always possible, and it was in this atmosphere that Martel spent his formative years.

Impressed by the intelligent, diligent boy, Tech Priest Parizianski sent  him to study on the Forge World Fernium. Cranch studied hard, but eventually the call of space got to him and, on his ascension to the rank of Tech-Priest left the world and took up a life of wandering. Cranch became an Archaeologist, with some degree of success, uncovering a number of STCs. In spite of his success, Cranch made a number of enemies in the Mechanicum. This was doubtless in part due to his success, but also because of his unorthodox methods and tendency to flaunt the rules. Cranch was investigated several times, but no charges were ever brought against him.

This was to change when he was approached by Inquisitor Rayne Serephene. Serephene had uncovered the truth, that several of Cranch's STC's were forgeries, based on technology he had developed himself. The STC forgeries had been used to gain sanction for his inventions. He had only gotten away with it because his deception had been unthinkable to the Mechanicum. That Serephene could read his thoughts, she kept to herself.

His secret revealed, Cranch was afraid for his life, but far from condemning him, Serephene congratulated him on his deception and his unorthodox thinking. She needed an associate with technical skill not bound by the strictures of the Mechanicum. Sceptical at first, Cranch came to respect Serephene's radical beliefs and her access to Inquisition resources. Working with her allowed him to indulge his creativity and gave him access to archaeological sites he would never have seen otherwise.

Fidgety and constantly on the move, Cranch comes across as nervous, an effect reinforced by a faulty vox-caster that stammers and which Cranch has never gotten around to fixing. In fact Cranch simply takes in information at very high speed, thanks to his bionically enhanced brain. In fact, Cranch is reckless, with a disregard for his own safety and a tendency to let curiosity get the better of him.

WS BS S   T   I    Wp Sg Nv Ld
52  65 57 56 66 63   81 67 52

Right Handed

Equipment: Stubber with Shot selector, 20 standard shells, 10 Man-stopper and 10 Flechette, Implated Chainfist, Mecha-dendrites, Servo Arm*, Advanced Bionic Brain, Bionic Head including rebreather, bionic eyes incorporating an infra scope, advanced bionic heart and two advanced bionic legs.

Armour: Bionics and robes giving 5 to head, 3 to chest, and abdomen, 2 to arms and 4 to groin and legs

*Cranch's servo arm is too cumbersome to be used as a weapon, although it's tools can be used for excavation and opening sealed doors, boxes, crates, tombs etc. It also provided 2 additional points of armour to Cranch's chest and head if he is being attacked from the rear.

Dolnikan

But why would she hide the telepathic abilities if all the abilities they know she has are closely related to it? The clever ones would naturally deduce that she would also be capable of sensing such things.

About the tech priest, finding even a single STC is a huge thing, and full sanctioning will take centuries at the least, even a hint of forgery would be enough to get into a lot of trouble. The Mechanicus are absordly paranoid about such heresies.

Ruleswise I would reduce his nerve somewhat, he seems to be a strong believer in self-preservation and when shot at will certainly go for cover.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Hum_Con

I have slightly revised the background for Cranch. The key changes are in paragraphs 2-4.

Tech Priest Martel Cranch

Martel Cranch was void born on a charter ship, where he was apprenticed to the ships attendant Tech-Priest, Parizianski. In space, where a technical failure can lead to loss of life or even the ship, rigidly following the rules of the Mechanicum is not always possible, and it was in this atmosphere that Martel spent his formative years.

Impressed by the intelligent, diligent boy, Tech Priest Parizianski sent  him to study on the Forge World Fernium. Cranch studied hard, but eventually the call of space got to him and, on his ascension to the rank of Tech-Priest left the world and took up a life of wandering. He became a researcher, which for a Tech-Priest means archaeologist. He dedicated his time to scouring old ruins for lost technology, rediscovering hidden Mechanicus secrets from abandoned and desolate forge worlds and searching for the ever elusive STCs. He had some degree of success, discovering several valuable pieces of archeotech and even an STC thought lost from the Mechanicus archive on the ruined world of Telorum

In spite, or perhaps because of his success, Cranch made a number of enemies within the Mechanicum. Although jealousy certainly played some part, he was also criticised for his unorthodox methods and flexible attitude to doctrine. He was investigated several times but never charged.

This was to change when he was approached by Inquisitor Rayne Serephene. She had uncovered the truth, that several of his discoveries had been modified by him or even faked outright. His aim had been to see his own ideas accepted into Mechnicum lore. He had only avoided detection because such a plan was unthinkable to most Tech Priests. That Serephene could read his thoughts, she kept to herself.

His secret revealed, Cranch was afraid for his life, but far from condemning him, Serephene congratulated him on his deception and his unorthodox thinking. She needed an associate with technical skill not bound by the strictures of the Mechanicum. Sceptical at first, Cranch came to respect Serephene's radical beliefs and her access to Inquisition resources. Working with her allowed him to indulge his creativity and gave him access to archaeological sites he would never have seen otherwise.

Cranch has a considerable respect for Serephene, whom he regards as an intellectual equal, even if their skills lie in different spheres. He has long suspected that she is a telepath, but has kept her secret, partly through politeness and partly in case he needs leverage in the future.

Fidgety and constantly on the move, Cranch comes across as nervous, an effect reinforced by a faulty vox-caster that stammers and which Cranch has never gotten around to fixing. In fact Cranch simply takes in information at very high speed, thanks to his bionically enhanced brain. In fact, Cranch is reckless, with a disregard for his own safety and a tendency to let curiosity get the better of him.