Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Rise of the Eldest Faction In The Carthax Sector: Xanthite Warband

Started by Van Helser, May 25, 2012, 12:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

After a spot of shoulder surgery put me out of action on the modelling front I am delighted to say I'm back at the work table with a new warband.  I'm going back to the faction that grabbed me back in Inquisitor's infancy, the Xanthites.  My original character, Mikael Van Helser was a full blown Horusian and in my precocious years stomped around the original Conclave's IC Forum with scant disregard for Imperial Law.  He was great fun, but I'm going somewhere new with this new warband.  Warp dabbling will be a recurring theme, but I'm also using this warband as an opportunity to bring some members of the Imperium's underclasses to the fore.  Expect ne'er-do-wells!

Anyway, here are some WIP pictures:

The Inquisitor

Eldar ranger as the base model, with Cherubael's head.  Arms from Major Jaxon (right) and Dorian Black (left).  Right hand is the trophy hand from Sergeant Stone and there's a skull from the book accessory sprue in the left.  Covenant's backpack, Eisenhorn's clockwork thingy and plenty of ProCreate round off the current build.

The Assassin

It took me almost a year, but I have finally begun to use bits from the Dark Eldar Cronos kit I got last year with my IGT winnings!  So many funky pieces in this set.

The Scum

Murke's legs, Stone's torso, Ork arms and a sculpted head.  The dumb muscle of the group.

The Psyker

Gruss's legs with new sculpted boots, Damien 1427's torso, Stone's head and ProCreate arms.  Struggling to contain the power within!

The Mutie

Stone's legs, Quovandius's torso, head from the Chaos conversion pack and Ork arms with a chainsword blade from the Chain Weapon Booster pack.  Not the chap you want to run into in a dark alley!

There's still work to do to the first four, but I will be beginning the painting of the Mutie today hopefully.  I have plans to add a Beastman to this group, a Reclaimator and a Daemonhost at some point.  No promises on keeping to these plans though!

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

Very nice models. All of them look good. The inquisitor looks like he is either doing some sorcery or talking dramatically, both things fitting for a Xanthite. The psyker has the classical psyker look and it is done very well, he has a lot of emotion.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Inquisitor Dionzi

I'm liking them! I think the apologetic reference to Yorik on the Inquisitor might be a bit off, but I'm interested to see how you bring it all together! Out of all of them, I rank the =I= and the psyker the highest on my private scale of kewl.
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Draco Ferox

Strangely, I am most drawn to the mutant. There's something I like about the model, but I can't pin it down just yet.

The other look great- especially the assassin, with all that strange, strange.... stuff in place of arms. I like how you've taken a stock character and done something new with them (how many times have we heard that phrase?), and of course the psyker looks good, with his "If I don't remove my hands my brain can't come out of my ears" pose. Or am I the only one that thinks that's what he's doing?
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Lacerto

I love this team. I like the Hamlet look a lot. But I think my favourite is the kook of dumb concentration on the face of the scum. Really characterful and lifelike. Ratios on his face like on the cover of The Stars My Destination please.

Van Helser

Thanks all.

The Inquisitor is supposed to be doing some sorcery - though he may be doing Shakespeare come to think of it.

Emphasising the psyker's abilities through his pose was an attempt to do more than simply build a character and give him psychic abilities.  I wanted to model him in such a way that it was clear what he is.  Judging by your feedback I guess he's doing just that!

I am probably most proud of the mutant - I think Stone's legs really add an intimidating nature to any model.  He has a big stride that says "I mean business".

Lastly, Lacerto, that's genius.  The Stars My Destination is one of my favourite books.  Tiger stripes as per Guliver Foyle would be fantastic.  I hope I can pull them off!

Ruaridh

RobSkib

If there's ever been a model to attempt modelling lightning arcing out from between his fingers, it's that one! He does look a wee bit naked though - do you plan on adding some gubbinz to him at a later date?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Alyster Wick

Really just fantastic pieces all around. The Inquisitor works so well together, I love that clockwork piece and it lends a lot of character to the armor. He looks suitably grandiose (and possibly verbose). Mutie is menacing, great sculpting on the psycher (although I echo the sentiment that the arms are a little bare, though tattoos could fix that). The scum's head looks, well, scummy (in a good way) and the assassin is very Blanchian.

Spider-pope

The Inquisitor is particularly great. Rather than an "Alas poor Yorick" moment, he looks more like he's having a deranged argument with the skull. And the Dark Eldar bits on the Assassin work perfectly.
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-pope.
Check out my painting and gaming blog at spiderpope.blogspot.co.uk now with 33% more Inquisitor.

Myriad

Loving the yelling at the skull thing.  Is it actually any use to him or is he just nuts? Or, mid 'dr who' type distracting monologue (don't see that working on orks).

Looking forward to seeing these guys finished.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Heroka Vendile

Very nice, and another good demonstration of getting new life out of old parts with minor embellishments.

Have to say though that I'm not wholly sold on the assassin. The gribbly arms just look too short to me when mounted straight onto the shoulders.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Keravin

Really like the Inquisitor and the use of the Eldar body which I don't think I've seen before.   I think the assassin works well and looks very Blanchean.   

Van Helser

I have just about finished painting the mutie now, but I'll get to that in a second.

The psyker will have some more embellishments added before he's painted.  A sash around the waist, a back banner from the Empire Flagellants set and possibly manacles on his wrists to match the neck restraint are planned.

The skull the Inquisitor is holding will grant some bonus or other to his sorcerous powers.  I was thinking it either came from a psyker, or possibly a daemonhost/illuminatus.

Euan, I was thinking that myself about the assassin, but in the end just said screw and stuck them on at the shoulder.  The idea of arms at various points on her torso crossed my mind, but it would've required more work than I wanted to do to pull off properly.

Right, back to the mutie.  The light is fading here, so the photos aren't the best and the base isn't finished, but I thought I'd show off the day's work nonetheless:

Took me a while to settle on the skin tone, but having seen plenty of bare, striated muscle on daemons and the like I thought it wouldn't be out of place on a mutant, and I'm always looking to improve my skills with new things.  I think it's turned out well.  The rusty chainsword hopefully gives the impression of being well used - with the other shots you can get a better look at the trophies "Ol' Screamer" has delivered.  I plan some special rules for it - it will either be devastating or not work at all!

Next up will be the Scum I think.

Ruaridh

Dolnikan

The mutant looks very good, the muscle came out very well and the colour on the lower back somehow strikes me as well. The chainsword looks very well-used but in a reasonable state, wounds caused by it would certainly get infected.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Zakkeg

Top shelf. I think he could be one of my favourite muties ever; the hunchback works perfectly on Stone's legs. I may have to nick that one. And the paint job isn't half bad either. ;)

I quite like the rest of them as well. The assassin's fairly terrifying - it would never have occurred to me to use those arms as, well, arms. And Inquisitor Hamlet looks suitably crazed, though the horns might be a bit much. Have you considered filing them down? I think the point's well made even without them. (Actually, some horns on the skull - which I've begun to think of as Horatio - might not go amiss.)
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.