Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Rise of the Eldest Faction In The Carthax Sector: Xanthite Warband

Started by Van Helser, May 25, 2012, 12:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Glad he's meeting approval. He's horrid, but in a good way! Nasty, festering wounds from the chainsword was the impression I was aiming for. 

Zakkeg, I had considered removing the horns, but I have done that with a model already and wouldn't want a "duplicate".  The characters couldn't be more different (a Xanthite, and a preacher), but I'd know!

Ruaridh

Knobby2

Loving how they've all come together,

I'll be honest im stealing the mutant pose, hunchback on stones legs but at least im honest for it,

How did you go about painting his flesh tone?

Zakkeg

Quote from: Van Helser on May 30, 2012, 06:07:03 PMZakkeg, I had considered removing the horns, but I have done that with a model already and wouldn't want a "duplicate".  The characters couldn't be more different (a Xanthite, and a preacher), but I'd know!

Ah. Fair enough then. Personally, I'd still file them down and try to differentiate the head some other way (fill in the =][= and give him a beard, most likely - he's a villainous goatee waiting to happen), but then I never did much care for Kessel.

Quote from: Van Helser on May 30, 2012, 06:07:03 PMNasty, festering wounds from the chainsword was the impression I was aiming for. 

Well done, I'd say. Between that and the flayed appearance, he looks like he could single-handedly turn tetanus shots into the local medicae's number one earner. ;D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Van Helser

Knobby2, the flesh was done with a basecoat of Dark Flesh, Badab Black in the recesses and then thin strokes of first Dwarf Flesh, and then even finer strokes of Elf Flesh as highlights.  Apart from a steady hand, it wasn't that technique sensitive.

Zakkeg, a villainous goatee may not be such a bad idea actually...

I have finished the Scum today.  Inspired by Lacerto, I whipped out my copy of "The Stars My Destination" and used the cover image as inspiration for some facial tattoos for him (now named Gulliver Bester) and continued the pattern onto the chest and left arm.  Looks okay, but the close up photo shows up the not so symmetrical bits.  Trousers were deliberately painted to look washed out by running thinned Gnarloc Green over a white undercoat.  I am pleased with the result.  Couldn't resist a Necromunda-inspired hazard stripes on the shoulder guard.  It's good to be old school sometimes.

Ruaridh

Macabre

++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Dolnikan

He looks very good, I love the tatoos, they go very well with the skin.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Adlan

"BESTER! Get your Prairie Harpy off of my Boat!"

Love the Old School Scum.

Shannow

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Lacerto

Great job on the tattoos (not ratios, pesky smartphone)! The industrial stripes keep him nicely 40k.

Van Helser

Time to add the psyker to the mix.

Here he is before painting:

I covered him in gubbins essentially, and sculpted manacles onto his wrists to match the one around his neck.  The back banner comes from the Empire Flagellants box set, the book from the Imperial booster sprue, syringes from the Eversor (these will represent Psi-omn from my DM psyker article), knife from the Eversor, Malicant's flame icon and some parchment from Gruss and some Space Marines.

Here he is painted:

Any and all comments welcome.

Ruaridh

Quickdraw McGraw

Wow!  Great conversation and even better paint job!  I really like the pose,  It gives life to the model.
Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

Dolnikan

Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Van Helser

I have been a little distracted with other projects recently, but have found some time to go back to 54mm models.  I was planning to do the Inquisitor last, but I experimented with using blue on the assassin and killed my enthusiasm for that model!  She'll get re-sprayed white and I'll begin again at some point!

The Inquisitor himself has had a couple of different paint schemes to get to this point - originally the black robe was Knarloc Green, but with the brown boots and dark green loincloth, he looked far too much like a wood elf for my liking!  He also had a freehand Aquila on the back of his overcoat, but it looked terrible.  I'm open to ideas for tarting up the coat with something else if there are any suggestions? 

I hope it looks like his eyes are glowing with sorcerous power, and not that he overdid the eyeshadow this morning (perhaps he purchased some from one of the numerous passing rouge traders the 41st millennium is overrun with...).

What do we think?

Ruaridh

Cortez

The Inquisitor looks great. I like the colour scheme and don't think the coat needs any embellishment, he's already got that enormous tome with it's =I= to show who and what he is. The blue around the eyes looks more like some kind of woad battle tattoo than sorcerous power I'm afraid. Perhaps painting the eyes an unnatural colour like green or pure black could give the effect you want.

Eziah Kranox

The Inquisitor looks fantastic. I do agree with Cortez on the eyes though, my vote is for the black. My only real criticism is the pattern on loincloth, it just screams eldar at me. Otherwise, it is a great model.

Edit - Still think that he would be reciting Antony's speech to Caesar's skull.....