Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

zombies

Started by dr.dalek, June 09, 2012, 01:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr.dalek

my group and I are going to start a zombie campaign and I was wondering if anyone knows were to find 54mm zombie miniatures 

Kaled

I'd suggest buying some cheap 1:32 plastic soldiers and then convert them into zombies by giving them broken limbs, open wounds and spilled entrails. That's probably the quickest, cheapest way of making a horde of zombies.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ynek

I made a group of 20 zombies from a set of airfix zulu warriors, but they were of exceptionally low quality. (Mostly just rotting flesh paint, and an 'ink' wash or two.)
My current group of 8 zombies were made from 1:32 Airfix WW2 German Afrikan Korps soldiers. They're multipart models, so they're quite easy to customise, although I would say that both sets (Zulu and WW2 Germans) are noticably more slender and sleight compared to the heroic scale of =I= models.

Also, having run about four zombie-based campaigns since I started Inquisitor, I can give you the following tips with regards to scenario creation:

1) Fewer, more powerful zombies are preferable to hundreds of weaker ones. Even with special NPC rules, doing anything with a horde of 20 ZNPCs takes time. For this reason, I would suggest limiting their numbers to about 6 on the board at any one time. You could, however, 'recycle' 'dead' zombies to keep the board nice and populated. (This also means you don't need to make as many zombie miniatures.)

2) Zombie siege scenarios get dull very quickly. Shooting from a rooftop at zombies is much like shooting fish in a barrel... But with dice.

3) Use objectives to encourage characters to spread out. For instance, by having them fetch items to repair an escape vehicle, barricade a building up for the night, or complete a zombie-killing superweapon that will cleanse the city of their taint. This means that player characters are less likely to gang up on the zombies since they'll all have to spread out to collect bits and bobs from around the table.

4) Since the characters have probably been fighting zombies for multiple days by the time the game takes place, limiting their ammo is a good way to stop characters from just forming a neat line and blasting away at zombies for multiple turns. Limiting their ammo makes it that much more precious. In fact, in many games I've played, I've said that the characters have no ammo whatsoever and have to find ammo somewhere on the board. (Power swords, chainswords and power armour etc. were counted as having flat batteries. :P)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Dolnikan

We also have done a few zombie scenarios and found that it is really important to give the characters something to do other than fighting the zombies. Another thing that helps in my experiance to have everything in very tight and close surroundings, to block longer lines of fire and to make players do something else than shooting all the time.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

dr.dalek

thanks for the input  :) my local hobby shop just got a bunch of airfix soldiers in so I'll give it a try