Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

An Ancient Enemy

Started by Akuro Adenn, June 15, 2012, 08:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akuro Adenn

Hello all. I know I'm new and all, but after reading most of the side articles, and working on finishing off DM3, I think I'll have a go at writing an article of my own. Granted its a huge article and might take a good while to manage, but I think I can find the right angle to work with it.

Now what is the article? Well to be blunt, Necrons. No longer the mindless hordes they once were, their modus operandi changes from dynasty to dynasty. This allows them some entry to the shadowy world of Inquisitor.

Right now, I'm going to go through their units, cherry picking those intelligent and capable of subtle behavior. I'll begin work on the stats of the archetypes, hopefully making them both accurate and suitable for actually having a group akin to an inquisitor's.

After that, I'll begin working on their weapons, the mechanics behind them, Canoptek constructs and their mechanics, Cryptek ability mechanics and powers (Suitable for not ending the table)... And then work with all the fluff behind them, listing possible plot hooks and goals. Might also have a modeling section as well, for people to get ideas on how to model their different characters, and paint schemes for existing and possible alternate dynasties.

Help in any of these is more than appreciated, though I don't think this is going to be an overnight thing by any means.

Knobby2

I'd be interested in helping out as and when i have a spare few minutes,

I've always liked the necrons since the first models ever were released, so this is always a soft spot for me, got a load of 40k stuff piling up do can hopefully make a few necrons too

I remember somewhere in the painting and modeling area a few members built a few 54mm necrons,

Macabre

An article about super strong, self repairing, highly intelligent (well that'll be the heirarchy then) beings with technology that both baffle and devastate entire armies (not just individuals, but armies)?

Yeah, I'm sure that'll fit in nicely.....

Read Xenology for ideas of including Necrons in the shadow wars.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Akuro Adenn

I have read Xenology, and is part of my inspiration for even trying to include them. And most are going to be mediocre skill wise, with a midway point between carapace and power armor for the strongest of them. Repair protocols is going to be something that will be looked at, as well as the actual power of the weapons they are using. Remember, these Necrons are going in knowing its a stealth mission. They aren't going to be kitted out with devastating weapons, as that would bring them far too much attention.

I know you're likely concerned with their level of power, but then again, there are rules for space marines as well. The rules will be optional, but I just want to ensure that they will at least be there for those interested in weaving it into a campaign or storyline.

greenstuff_gav

i'd take the opportunity to explain lesser known Necrontyr, expand background of stuff from outside of 40k Codices ... explain odd necrons that would be appropriate for Inquisitor... along the lines of my article on Space Marines Huge Chunk of Man...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Macabre

I echo Gav's thoughts. Take the time to think up new 'covert' Necron archetypes. This was my attempt, and even I don't use him as a PC owing to the fact that even dulled down, he's quite powerful:

Akuro Adenn

A few of the existing Archetypes would be fine, if properly toned down. Lower grade equipment, and their bodies not being as good as their performance in war would indicate... EYHBTIAL, especially about these enigmatic xenos. They likely attach armor plating to their bodies before military actions.

Regardless, I think the Lord, Cryptek, Deathmark, Lychguard, and Immortal can all be included, as well as more esoteric possibilities. They might be tougher than most any human opponent, but they will likely be counteracted with some disadvantages, as well as being more limited in number.

Macabre

Quote from: Akuro Adenn on June 16, 2012, 01:21:30 AMRegardless, I think the Lord, Cryptek, Deathmark, Lychguard, and Immortal can all be included, as well as more esoteric possibilities. They might be tougher than most any human opponent, but they will likely be counteracted with some disadvantages, as well as being more limited in number.

Seriously?

A necron lord in the 40k analogue is more than a match for multiple opponents, maybe as an end of campaign 'boss' type certainly feasible, but as a PC....I find that very dubious.

What disadvantages would you be considering for these ancient titans that once commanded the very laws of time, space and reality? Likewise, what do you mean by 'limited in number'? A typical INQ warband consists of usually three to four members playable at any one time.

Dolnikan

There could be necrons that have not withstood time that well, rendering them a bit weaker, these could easily come from disrupted tomb worlds, where most have been permanently destroyed and only those with some capacity for thought have survived in a diminished state. Other than that necrons would be like space marines, immensely powerful. But even harder to fit into a warband.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Koval

Unless it's Trazyn the Infinite, I really don't see any Lord-level Necron character working even remotely well in such a system as Inquisitor, or even in Dark Heresy (though a case can probably be made for something like Ascension).

Crypteks could work fairly nicely, possibly with a construct or two, though I'd probably draw the line there as everything else is either too skewed towards actual warfare (Warriors, Immortals, anything bigger), completely bonkers (Flayed Ones), or cheap'n'cheesy (Deathmarks, if they're appearing from nowhere to snipe you before running off again)

Ynek

Overall, I think that having "watered down" "powerful" creatures is a bit of a cop-out, and is a step in the direction of 40k. 40k tends to follow a certain trend of mediocrity whereby Space Marines, who are supposed to have the strength and durability of multiple men are actually only 33% stronger and tougher than their normal human counterparts. There are many examples in 40k of species being "watered down" for the sake of fair and balanced gameplay.

To be honest, I always liked the fact that Inquisitor does not necessarily reflect fair and balanced gameplay. Sometimes, when you're watching a movie or reading a book, the protagonists ARE going to be outgunned, outmanned, and the upcoming fight is going to be a painfully uphill struggle for them. That's just part of what makes Inquisitor different, and a good GM will be able to use these sorts of unbalanced situations to create unique, (and whilst not always entirely fair,) fun, experiences.

In that light, I've always felt as if watering down a human until they can fight on equal terms with a fly is just a little bit of a cop-out. In a game of flies, leave the humans at home. When you have to water down to suspicious levels, it often feels like crowbarring.

I have been working on a little handful of necron models, but the intention was always that they would only be used as NPCs for games, and so forth. Although, I am also intrigued by Macabre's "Necron terminator" character, and am finding myself curious about the idea of "infiltration" models of Necron...
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

almundis

I don't know exactly where this bit of information orginated, but i was talking with aGW staff member (probably about 6/7 years ago now about necrons and specifically pariahs. I was mentioning a line in the (then) codex about how pariahs represented a new step forward for the necron race and he mentioned readikng somewhere that they were the result of some kind of interferance by the cult of the omnisiah. As I say, no idea exactly where he got this information but it IS an interesting concept. Because these guys are complete living machines with living gods clad in metal. It could easily be possible for some rogue/insane techpriest to want to try and gain some favor with the necrons or try and harness some of their technology for their own ends. just a thought....

Koval

Unfortunately Pariahs got taken out of the present Necron codex, their function as warscythe-wielding supersoldiers replaced by Lychguard. That's not to say Pariahs aren't still knocking about in some shape or form, just that they don't really feature any more.

Kaled

I think that can be safely ignored as far as this proposed article goes. Just because they no longer feature in Necron armies doesn't mean they're no longer in the canon.

If this article does get written I can supply photos of my 54mm Pariah to illustrate it. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but Brother Brimstone has converted some rather nice Necron Warriors (and some Necron themed terrain) maybe he'll let you use you some photos of them too. Plus we have some photos from a series of games we played set on a Tomb World with Necron NPCs.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Koval

Quote from: Kaled on July 08, 2012, 08:23:49 AM
I think that can be safely ignored as far as this proposed article goes.
That's pretty unfair, Dave, considering my second sentence.