Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

An Inquisitor-and-other-games Conclave event?

Started by Kaled, July 02, 2012, 10:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Evening all,

After a recent discussion with Greenstuff Gav that started when I read a post of his on the Malifaux forums it struck me that I've also seen quite a few other names who I recognise from here on forums for other games. Since it appears that many of us are united by more than just our love of Inquisitor, I was wondering if there'd be any interest in an event where Conclavers meet to play both Inquisitor and any of the other games we have in common?

Clearly we'd have to hold it somewhere other than WHW so we can play non-GW games. We could even make it a two day event if that's what people want to do, and players could turn up for just one of the days, or stay for both.

Clearly the Conclave is for Inquisitor (and 40k RP), so we would want to move the parts of the discussion that relate directly to other games to some other forum, but I thought I'd throw out the call here and see if anyone was interested in this type of gathering...

Thoughts?

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Sounds shiny. I guess we'd probably be looking at somewhere like Maelstrom up in Mansfield?

I'd also consider a two day dealie, if there's enough others up for it to make it work and we can get it sorted early enough that hotel booking still comes in at a reasonable rate.

Assuming the dates work, I'd be in for Inquisitor (at either scale), Infinity (at least if I get a more few models in order, I'm still proxying a load I'm not done modelling yet) and perhaps some other GW games, if I can find where things like my Necromunda gangs have gone.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Macabre

Why not make it a central location, like Birmingham or Coventry (hint hint). In fact you could probably rent out a room in the Koco Building cheap enough (large rooms with lots of tables), and the hotel prices are pretty cheap.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Kaled

I'd thought about Maelstrom, but Gav doesn't like them. He suggested Triple Helix, but I don't think they open on Sundays so that'd mean it could only be a one-day event. Any and all suggestions are welcome though. If we choose somewhere other than a dedicated wargaming place then terrain is likely to be the limiting factor. However assuming that we chose somewhere I'd drive to rather than get the train, then I could bring enough terrain for an Inquisitor table and a Malifaux one.

MarcoSkoll

While I don't hugely like Maelstrom myself (less than impressed by customer service), I'd like to hear the rationale behind ruling them out as a venue. It needs to be a more collective decision than the unexplained opinion of one person.

As for Triple Helix, it's not just a lack of Sunday opening that makes them impractical. West Wiltshire is rather out of the way for most people - we need somewhere a fair bit further north.

Ultimately, I imagine anywhere that's not a wargaming hall somewhere in the Midlands will probably get ruled out for lack of "facilities" or impractical geography.

Macabre's suggestions of B'ham or Coventry would be delightfully practical geographically for me (to the point I could even double back home overnight), but as for appropriate facilities... I can't hope to comment.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

the opening-in-September Tabletop Nation venue looks decent, out in Essex mind you, so doesn't meet the midlands criteria.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Macabre

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 03, 2012, 08:16:22 AMUltimately, I imagine anywhere that's not a wargaming hall somewhere in the Midlands will probably get ruled out for lack of "facilities" or impractical geography.

Macabre's suggestions of B'ham or Coventry would be delightfully practical geographically for me (to the point I could even double back home overnight), but as for appropriate facilities... I can't hope to comment.

What do you mean by 'facilities'? The Koco building has ablutions, its centrally located (just off the city centre), it has both a Premier Inn and Ramada Hotel 200 meters down the road. It has a newsagents, chippy, Snappy's Pizza and a balti house on its doorstep (literally), free parking, a pub right next door (The Railway Club) and two more down the road.

And I have potential crash space for one or two and Coventry is cheaper than Birmingham (plus I can get a discount from the Koco room rental).

Am I missing anything?

Kaled

Does Koco have terrain? Or do those people who are close enough to be going by car have enough for us all to use?

Macabre

Its not a gaming centre, it just has large conference halls with plenty of tables to use, so terrain would have to be a 'bring your own' kinda thing.

Kaled

That's what I figured, so it would all depend on whether enough people can bring terrain for us all to use. I guess that's something we could coordinate between us.

I had thought I'd get the train down, but despite being further south than Nottingham it turns out to be easier to get to so I could drive down and bring some terrain after all.

Any other venue suggestions?

Who else has terrain that we could use if we meet somewhere other than a dedicated gaming venue?

Macabre

Quote from: Kaled on July 03, 2012, 02:43:10 PMI had thought I'd get the train down, but despite being further south than Nottingham it turns out to be easier to get to so I could drive down and bring some terrain after all

Yeah, Coventry is a central hub for a lot of traffic, most cities/towns have trains going to Birmingham New Street, and there are regular local and cross-country lines go to and through Coventry from there. Likewise some four motorways and a shed-load of major A roads link through Coventry, so getting lost isn't easy.

Kaled

Another question - anyone got a good suggestion for a forum to discuss the non-Inquisitor side of this event? It's off-topic for the 'Clave, but do we have a forum for off-topic discussions anymore? Is Arkhan's Mind still going?

Charax

Arkhan's mind is still up, it's just nigh-abandoned.

I don't see a major issue discussing it here, it's a "conclave event" after all
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Kaled

Discussing the event itself should be fine but we may want somewhere to discuss the other games we want to play - and one thread containing event details plus conversations about half a dozen different gaming systems is not ideal...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Macabre on July 03, 2012, 12:26:03 PMWhat do you mean by 'facilities'?
Basically, that the less that has to be brought along the better. Lack of terrain is, to some extent, a practicality issue.

Despite my proximity to Coventry, I'm unlikely to be able to be able to bring much, if any, terrain. Partly because most of it isn't kept at my house*, partly because I'd probably take the train.
*Mind you, I need to rig up more Infinity terrain, so who knows?

As for discussing other systems... I doubt, that if it's not discussed here, that there's somewhere other than Arkhan's Mind that would work better. Trying to leap into discussion elsewhere is a bit of a non-sequitur, and would require people to sign up for forums that might have no further practical use (not that Arkhan's Mind is known for being of practical use!)

Also, how "Conclave" are we making this? Are we perhaps promoting this on the 'Bunker as well, and what's the thoughts on involving players who are just there for the "other" systems?

GW's =I= articles