Author Topic: The Conclave: Database Issues & Old Topics  (Read 3092 times)

Offline greenstuff_gav

• Chief Enginseer
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Greenstuff Monkey
    • Build Your Imagination
The Conclave: Database Issues & Old Topics
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
so, we've had complaints from the data-spirits; the massive archive is upsetting the old girl and cramping the space on her data-bank.

As of this weekend (possibly Saturday) i'll be going through and deleting old threads (i.e. ones not posted in for over a year) from everywhere except the IC Boards.

If you have some old threads i'd suggest saving them.. i'll be doing a backup but will be unimpressed if people start requesting old threads returned...

so, here's your warning; gonna be a-purging!
A Purgin' we will go, A Purgin' we will go, Glory Glory the Redeeeeemeeeeeer!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Stuff for Trade / Sale!

Offline Charax

• Arch Deamonlord
  • Inquisitor
  • In His Name
Re: The Conclave: Database Issues & Old Topics
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »
Pop a copy of the SQL dump on the FTP server and I'll grab a copy as well
The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 12:19:51 AM »
Oh dear.

I know I can't be at all sure what I will and won't want to refer to in future. Short of being able to archive the entire forum, that's doubtless going to mean that I'm going to go looking for something in a couple of months time and not find it.
I know we've had to cope with losing the entire site before (with no warning), but it doesn't mean it's not still a bloody nuisance.

How much space do we actually have, and how much have we used? The Conclave is primarily text - even with 28000 posts and an assortment of member accounts, that doesn't sound like it can be more than a couple of hundred megabytes.
(Although, that said, does the 'Clave share a hosting plan with Dark Magenta?)

If we're that tight on space... well, I use the 'Clave enough (to the point I realise I'm responsible for more than 1 in 10 of those posts!) I'd be prepared to make donations towards upgrading to a bigger and better hosting plan if it's necessary, and I'd wager there's at least a couple of others who'd share that sentiment.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:21:59 AM by MarcoSkoll »
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Offline Heroka Vendile

• Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Lord Procrastinator-General
    • Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
What about things like the modelling retrospective threads - which are all linked from the P&M resources sticky - I'm sure most of them haven't seen any posts in the past year, but it seems superfluous to just ditch them.
I'm not saying the rules and P&M boards aren't crowded with plenty threads that can be ditched whole-hearted, just that a blanket purge seems... rash? (not quite the word I wanted, but all that came to mind)

Similarily, Witchhunter - very small and inactive though it's section of the forum may be - would be practically emptied by such a purge. Which perhaps more brings up a separate issue of whether the game should be supported at all these days (for my part, yes it should be kept), but that's not the conversation at hand.

Additionally, if funding of the site is the core issue, I could see people readily accepting a portion of IGT entry fees being directed to hosting fees, etc. as the 'clave is a key part of our community.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:22:58 AM by Heroka Vendile »
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 01:44:56 AM »
If you're wondering why the database has halved in size, it's probably because I tidied up my PM inbox/outbox.

Well, halved is a bit of an exaggeration, but I chucked out more than 80% of what was in there, and I've still got about five pages left (which I could probably get rid of now, as I've saved the remainder offline).

Can we put PM box limits on the 'Clave? It might help us out a bit.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Offline Kaled

• Illuminatus Maximus
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Fabricator-General
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
I have to say I feel there must be a better solution than an indiscriminate purge of things based on age.  Perhaps we could spend a week going through threads flagging them for deletion in some way?  Or look at what funding would be required to increase our hosting space.  Maybe institute a nominal fee at all our events to put towards hosting.  I'm sure there are all sorts of things that would be better than simply deleting old posts.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Offline greenstuff_gav

• Chief Enginseer
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Greenstuff Monkey
    • Build Your Imagination
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »
i may have been unclear; i'll not be slapping a "older'n a year = BAM" but a pick'n'choose method; clearing down members has reduced us, the clearing of logs and the themes has helped as well.

regarding hosting fees / fund raising, i'll leave that to Saussure; when all's said and done the 'clave is "his" ...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Stuff for Trade / Sale!

Offline Keravin

• Inquisitor Lord
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
Getting database errors when I try to start a topic with battle reports in it.