Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New figures just completed

Started by Inquisitor Liss, September 16, 2009, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

@Kaled: I tend to work on a principle of "You know what the character knows", be that set out in their original backstory, or something the GM has told you before the game. Unless No-Name's armour causes some kind of amnesia, I think we can agree the character at least knows who they were.

I'm of the opinion that a character not having a backstory set down on the basis that they "never tell anyone their history" is pretty dull (and in quite a few cases, outright lazy).
So my backgrounds cover what the character knows, what others may happen to know (be it true or not), and possibly even things the character themself doesn't know (be it about them or their equipment).

... Okay, there are a couple of cases where I've explicitly set out there's something that some of my characters know, and which I don't - the reason being that the information in question is beyond the human mind's capacity to imagine it, and instead it has to be told/find it out. And in those cases, it would be pretty daft if I knew said information.

It is a matter of personal taste, I know. But I just don't allow myself to use any "short-cuts" like that in writing character background.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 18, 2009, 05:25:11 PM
@Kaled: I tend to work on a principle of "You know what the character knows" ... I think we can agree the character at least knows who they were.
Yep, I agree the character knows who they are (in most cases) but there are plenty of things that I know and my character doesn't, and vice versa.  Writing down everything my character knows would just take too long (and I'd no doubt forget to write loads of things that they should know), so I don't even try - better to (for me anyway) decide a few things and make up the rest when it comes to it.  I wouldn't describe it as lazy or a short-cut - but I appreciate that some people want/need to have everything determined in advance, and that's fine if it works for them.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on September 18, 2009, 09:35:11 PM... but there are plenty of things that I know and my character doesn't, and vice versa.  Writing down everything my character knows would just take too long ...
I'm not talking about "everything" being completely inclusive down to the point of something about when they stubbed their toe at the age of 6 of course. However, their background should at least be indicative of what areas they are likely to know (or inversely, not know.)

No background at all means that you're then left without that basis for the character's talents - and it does then sound like you're pulling whatever skills you attribute them with out of your posterior.

QuoteI wouldn't describe it as lazy or a short-cut.
It depends on how you do it. Some people write "Their past is shrouded in mystery" then just stop - and I think that is at least bordering on laziness.

I used to do such things myself as something of a short-cut, and that's why these days, while I allow myself to write things like that, I don't allow myself to use it as an excuse to not write them a proper background - their past may be shrouded in mystery, but that doesn't mean they didn't have that past.

Quote... but I appreciate that some people want/need to have everything determined in advance, and that's fine if it works for them.
I am one of those people who prefers to have a character written down pretty solidly before I start. Not saying everyone needs to, but it's the way I like to work.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

For me, written background is partly just an aide-memoire to myself, but mainly so my opponent can (if they want) read a bit about the character before the game - the kind of things that people are most likely to know about that person*.  In a lot of cases the background I write doesn't explain the basis for their skills - that doesn't mean there isn't any reasoning behind it, but if people choose to believe that I'm just pulling whatever skills I attribute them with out of my posterior then that's up to them.  But conversely, if you write (what I'd call) too much background, then I'm not likely to read it all anyway - so I still wouldn't know whether you were pulling whatever skills you attribute them with out of your posterior...

At the end of the day, as long as you believe you have a firm enough handle on the character to play them in the game, and if need be tell your opponent things that their character would know about yours, then I'd say it's unimportant whether you've written down a thousand words or none.

* Which is another reason I really need to update the profiles on my website.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

precinctomega

QuoteSome people write "Their past is shrouded in mystery" then just stop - and I think that is at least bordering on laziness.

Not so much lazy as cliched.  But is this a discussion for P&M?

R.

kierkegaard

Back to the original topic...

I bought one of the D&D Flesh Golem models on the strength of how cool Liss made it look.

If anyone is interested (and I imagine that they will be) I can confirm that although the Dungeons and Dragons models are made from crappy bendy plastic, they can be cut with a sharp knife (to remove mold lines) and filed. I have yet to see how well they respond to green stuff and super glue, but I will keep you posted as the work progresses.

Inquisitor Liss

@ kierkegaard
They actually do very well.  I like the soft plastic because you can shave it and file it down rapidly.  I had a little trouble with the putty but it got better after the model was cleaned with soap and water.  I thinks these models are great for Inquisitor. Especially for aliens, mutants and demons.  You should take a look at the Strikezone website which sells singles in the USA to get an idea of the ones out there for use.  Especially the models in the against the giants set.
Liss

kierkegaard

Quote from: Inquisitor Liss on September 20, 2009, 03:41:57 PM
I thinks these models are great for Inquisitor. Especially for aliens, mutants and demons. 

I think so too.

For those of us in the UK, here is a link to the site that I used. I don't know if they have the complete collection or the best prices, but the site is really quick and easy to order from, and they certainly got the model to me quickly.

RobSkib

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Inquisitor Liss

I start a string of night shifts over the next three nights but when I get done with the shifts I will post some pics of some of figures I have snagged for Inquisitor use. 

Hadriel Caine

The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'