Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Need help to establish continuity for the Macharian Heresy

Started by Kaludram, August 21, 2012, 12:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaludram

Okay, so I'm working on a backstory for a campaign and a new sector for the back drop.  I'm planning to establish the story in a new sector on the edge of the Halo Stars first settled at the end of the Macharian Crusade. 

I've found some references that place the Crusade as 992-999.M40 and others that place the beginning as 392.M41 (also with a seven year duration).  Following is a 70 year period for the Macharian Heresy--which I have also found referenced as 000-070 or 400-470.M41 depending on the reference.   To make matters worse, the Lexicanium online lists both sets of dates on different pages.

Anyone want to weigh in on the correct date?  Obviously 400 years of history makes a big difference when I am looking to create a sector that is less than a millenium old.
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

Dolnikan

It would probably have taken place near the beginning of the milennium, so 992-999M40 makes sense, especially given the Amalathian background which places it around the start of the milennium.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Koval

Out of interest, what are the sources you're using for the various dates? We had some weird timing issues with the Damocles Gulf and Nimbosa Crusades as well, and it does get rather annoying when different sources contradict one another...

Kaludram

Quote from: Koval on August 21, 2012, 11:31:15 AM
Out of interest, what are the sources you're using for the various dates? We had some weird timing issues with the Damocles Gulf and Nimbosa Crusades as well, and it does get rather annoying when different sources contradict one another...

I've been using the Lexicanum Online chronology at http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/M41 as my more official source.  I noticed a discrepancy on another Lexicanum page (Macharius' death listed as 400.M41), so I did some more research and found the Warhammer 40K wikia at http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_the_Imperium which listed the Crusade at 392-399.M41 rather than the close of M40 as stated on Lexicanum.

If anyone has a GW official reference with a date, we could probably put this to rest.  Personally, I agree that placing the Heresy at the onset of M41 is congruent to other events, but if canon becomes important, it would be good to know an "official" source.

Charax

It's almost as if relying on a secondary source anyone can edit with little to no requirements of verification is somehow unreliable.
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Kaludram

Quote from: Charax on August 21, 2012, 11:22:07 PM
It's almost as if relying on a secondary source anyone can edit with little to no requirements of verification is somehow unreliable.

Agreed, but I don't have an entire library of GW's works, so I'm reduced to some online research.  At least Lexicanum has sources cited for most of their articles, so I am inclined to believe it until I can verify in a GW source.

krenshar

The faction text at the start of the Inq. rulebook states that Macharius made his crusade as a reaction to the grand conclave at Mount Amalath on Gathalamor, which was held at the start of the 41st millenium.
So the 000-070.M41 seems the closer date; the text speaks of "military, religious and political leaders and dignitaries gathered in their thousands" but does not specifically name Macharius as present.  Although I can't see the High Lords giving command of a crusade to someone who hadn't bothered to turn up for their little shindig.

Kaludram

Well remembered!  Okay, so I am going with the crusade being the 7 years closing out the 40th millenium, the Macharian Heresy being 000-070.M41, and my new little sector on the edge of the Segmentum Pacificus will be just under a millenium old... 8) 

krenshar

Sorry I wasn't clearer but I meant that both crusade and heresy would likely have taken place between 000 and 070.  If Macharius was inspired to his crusade by events at Mount Amalath and that occurred at the start of M41, he couldn't have begun until late in 000.M41.
Given that it's supposed to have been the largest crusade of the 41st millenium, I'd allow 5+ years to gather the troops, the seven years for the crusade itself and a year or two before the generals kick off their heresy.  Which would give a 30-odd year life for the heresy or you just add 70 years to the above, so that the heresy ran from c014-084.M41

Alternatively, everything you have been told is a lie!  I'd never even heard of the Macharian Heresy until this thread.  Somewhere there's a quote from General Sejanus' biography of Macharius, describing the Lord Solar's breakdown when he called an end to the crusade.  So I was a little surprised to hear that he became a heretic.  I've had a quick hunt for the quote but all I can say with certainty is that it's more recent than WD272, or else in the 3rd edition of the guard codex (as my copy's MIA).

Kaludram

The old Imperial Guard Codex talks about the death of Macharius shortly after his generals refused to follow him into the Halo Stars.  They then rebelled against Imperial rule and established small empires throughout Segmentum Pacificus that required 70 years and 100 Space Marine chapters to subdue.  Macharius maintained his honor, was sainted, and entombed in his command ship in orbit around his homeworld--renamed Macharia and dubbed a shrine world.