Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A new idea, probably a bad one...

Started by Ynek, September 16, 2009, 03:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynek

This is a new idea, which came to me whilst sitting in my room conversing with my S/O who is on the other side of the world working on her thesis.

Has anyone tried playing Inquisitor over the internet, using webcams/microphones etc? I've heard of people playing Dark Heresy online via MSN, but I've never heard of anyone playing Inq. in a similar way.

The image I had in my head was that the GM would be sitting in a room with all the models, terrain etc, and each player would have a copy of their character sheets etc. on their home computers and a handful of dice in front of them, which would be visible to the GM via the webcam feed.

The downside, as far as I can see it, would be that the game would probably move with a considerably slower pace than the average inquisitor game, and unless the webcam moved around a lot, players might not have a great idea about what's going on. However, these are issues which could probably be resolved with a little thought and foresight...

Anyway, thoughts?
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

precinctomega

Actually, I can see this potentially working, but not as described, with the GM having all the models.

I'd rather see it as a scenario with two geographically-unconnected boards, with a player on each board, with each player's actions affecting the board of the other player and his objectives.

R.

RobSkib

We used to do an equivalent 40k-'em-up on my old forums called Arena of Deff, except using crude MS-paint arenas and blobs to represent models - it worked quite well, except for the lack of words for directions in the english language, so most 'orders' sent to the GM ended up having to be arrows drawn in MS paint as well.

I could see this working, albeit slowly. Maybe over webcam is a bad idea, I think a series of static images showing 'whats happened this turn', much like the old-skool WD battle reports, with the GM controlling everything (including the dice) and the players just giving orders. The only downside to this would be that the GM would have to be willing to have a table set up for days on end, as a turn would only be completed once everyone had given their orders in and the GM had processed them and reposted.

I am for it personally, I think it could work!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Adlan

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: precinctomega on September 17, 2009, 03:38:33 PMI'd rather see it as a scenario with two geographically-unconnected boards, with a player on each board, with each player's actions affecting the board of the other player and his objectives.

Much like the way a lot of the Games Day Mega Battles are affected by results at the other participation games? But more direct, obviously.
Perhaps a maze of some sort - where pulling a lever to open a door on player 1's level also causes a sentry gun to activate on player 2's level.

Quote from: Adlanmaybe you could play over skype?
Skype has webcam capability does it not? (obv only when calling Skype-to-Skype)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

RobSkib

The only problem there is that some people don't have laptops/webcam capability near their gaming board - my computer is in my living room, and my gaming table is at the end of my garden!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.