Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Long lost treasure -- Wraithguard

Started by Kaludram, August 24, 2012, 03:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaludram

So after I finished my Eldar Warlock, I really wanted something ridiculous to go along with him.  What would be more ridiculous in an Inquisitor game than (drum roll please) a full-fledged Wraithguard?

So, I know what you're thinking...What a munchkin this guy must be.  I completely agree.  But that was my whole purpose.  This dude is the munchkin penalty.  He only arrives on the board to fight uber-munchkins with a healthy taste of their own medicine.  Haven't used him yet, but do I ever want to!

Building him to the 54mm scale was a careful task.  Turns out that I needed parts from both a Wraith Lord (again, late 1990's vintage, and not the new type that came out about 2003) and an old Warlock-class Epic Titan.  In addition, both of those models had legs that were about 1.5 cm too tall, so a careful cut mid-thigh with a pin & putty brought him to the right height.  Getting the two models to fit together wasn't perfect, but it worked out okay, I think.  Add a D-cannon and voila!  My Eldar Warlock now has the ultimate munchkin hunter.  ;D
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Kaludram on August 24, 2012, 03:19:37 AM
What a munchkin this guy must be. 

na, i thought what a good idea! (both of em :) )

the head does look a little high but good job; i like the collar :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaludram on August 24, 2012, 03:19:37 AMWhat would be more ridiculous in an Inquisitor game than (drum roll please) a full-fledged Wraithguard?
Hmm. A Chaos Dreadnought? A Warhound Titan?
(I know, rhetorical question. Not rhetorical answers.)

I can't doubt the conversion work, but I have to be honest and say that I've always felt the head on the old Wraithlord was too large for a 54mm Wraithguard. Nonetheless, this kind of thing is still always worth while as a boss monster type of thing - it always seems a shame (and slightly pointless, as they'll just up the ante with their characters...) to just use this kind of thing to just fight munchkins.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

It looks very good and should give people second thoughts about really powergaming. Of course, a proper power gamer won't be stopped by this. They would just bring even bigger guns(which obviously would look a lot worse, so you would certainly win on style.)
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaludram

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 24, 2012, 10:37:34 AM

...but I have to be honest and say that I've always felt the head on the old Wraithlord was too large for a 54mm Wraithguard.

I actualy agree.  I had a 28mm wraithguard to try to get the proportions just right for 54mm, and the only thing I couldn't match well was the head.  It ended up about 15% too big.  For all the other components I had several options--War Walker, Warlock Titan, and Wraithlord.  But when I was doing the conversion (2003 I think), the new plastic Wraithlord hadn't come out yet.  That left the older 28mm Wraithlord head as the only viable option without trying to sculpt something from scratch.  Since my sculpting skills are nominally equivalent to my 5-year-old's play-dough talents, I opted to accept a larger head and assert that it is a "venerable, older" model.

I kid you not though; the week after I finished pinning and gluing the last components, the new Wraithlord kit got announced.  After looking at the components, I almost took apart this guy to swap in some of the new Wraithlord parts, but I couldn't bring myself to do it after all the work I put in.  Maybe I'll just build another... ;)

Knobby2

You sir are mental too the highest standard, I love it, *runs off to scour ebay for an old wraithlord*

Kaludram

Quote from: Knobby2 on August 24, 2012, 11:59:29 PM
You sir are mental too the highest standard, I love it, *runs off to scour ebay for an old wraithlord*

Thank you for the praise.  I do want to assert that if you plan on trying this, you need a Warlock Titan torso and back wing.  Otherwise, the chest won't turn out quite right just using the old (i.e. 1990's) Wraithlord parts alone.  That said, the new plastic Wraithlord would probably work with no Titan parts needed.  Plus, cutting up a plastic model is much easier than shaving a pewter one.  :-\

Good luck to you.

Knobby2

Many thanks for that, just want too build one for poops and giggles really, plus I am a bit of an eldar fan in secret, but in public burn the xenos ;)

Irisado

This is certainly an interesting concept.  The proportions look a touch strange in places in relation to the head, but I think that you've made a good job of this overall, especially in view of the age of some of the parts you've had to use.

I'll be interested to see how you decide to paint them both, as the choice of colour could help make the Wraithguard look more proportionate as a whole.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente