Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Lodis Subsector Gaming reports - Dalthus Sector games

Started by Keravin, August 25, 2012, 11:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keravin

Pictures from the first Loidis (Leeds) gaming.

Setting up the event was a little tricky as we had mostly new players and no one had really spent a lot of time beforehand talking over their retinues.   We also lost one GM at the last minute so it ended up being just Andy (Little Brother) and I running the event.   Luckily we'd done some preparation work that was able to be fairly fluid. 

We had 5 players on the day playing:

Tom - Inquisitor Hans Conrad - Ordo Xenos Radical
Chris C - Inquisitrix Beatrice Alfero - Ordo Hereticus Moderate
James - Inquisitor Willem Nathin - Ordo Malleus Radical
Chris L - Can't remember their name - Ordo Xenos Puritan
Al - Can't remember their name - Ordo Xenos Radical

Now we didn't know most of this before the event as we spent a few hours going through character creation with most people getting characters at a reasonable level etc.   Still think there is some work to do on that as I still think Inquisitor Conrad is a little too good at everything for example.

Because we were down one GM we also had to improvise a little on terrain, but that was also because I didn't get any time to build of paint terrain this time.

I wrote an introduction to Dalthus Sector and to Loidis in particular which I should send over to Molotov as he may want to share it.

The basic setup for the day was to start three plot strands - one focused on introducing Melnet, a planet facing potential great upheavel in its future, but where certain groups are looking to sow more discontent for their own purposes; the second on Thornwood where a sun cult had been gaining ground which was of concern given Thornwood was a pilgrimage world; and thirdly starting some cold trade connections.

The first game run by Andy took place on Melnet where advance parties from two of the Inquisitors were set to at the spaceport.   

Andy will have to cover the narrative here as I barely managed to get over and have a look whilst running my own game.   The idea of the scenario was to introduce the players to the rules whilst starting the plot threads.

Meanwhile I was setting up things on Thornwood.

Thornwood is an arboreal world hence the choice of architecture and this scenario took place in the city of .   A Sun cult preacher had been identified and both Inquisitor Conrad and Inquisitruix Alfero made their way to investigate him.

The preacher in full swing as Alfero's group including her Interrogator and the Verispex detective Adler arrive down the bottom.

Inquisitor Conrad's group started up on the bridge coming in from the other district.

Conrad made his way quickly towards the preacher attracting attention by doing so.  Alfero sauntered in paying attention to the other interested party.  Adler was distracted by the architecture (and bad dice rolling).

The preacher has run for it, Conrad in pursuit about to step and slip in the fountain whilst Alfero and her interrogator Barbarus keep an eye on proceedings without showing their hand.

Castor, Conrad's gladiator was moving around the sides of the square after the preacher.  Their other retinue member was positioned at the top of the ramp ready to offer covering fire, but by drawing his weapon he had given himself away a little.

The preacher pursued.

Finally Conrad caught up with him and offered him protection from the Inquisition who were after him whilst also giving his name.  Alfero listened very interested in proceedings.

Conrad and the Preacher prepare to leave, but not before Conrad takes a shot at Adler who had revealed himself and was walking away.

The Ex guardsman attempts to cause a distraction, but fails to penetrate the barrels as he limps away.

The scenario ended with Conrad in with the preacher, but his guardsman was being hotly pursued by Alfero, who was now highly suspicious of this other Inquisitor.

Over in Melnet and the setup for the next scenario was that one of the groups attacked at the spaceport was following up on leads as to where the leak that announced their presence to the gangers came from, whilst the other Inquisitor was trying to make contact with a potential source on cold trade activity.

Again Andy can tell you about what happened over there as I was down the mines.

Back on Thornwood

Conrad was looking at ways to get more leverage on the Sun cultists and was using the preacher to introduce him.   They had travelled to a deserted mine where others from the cult were hiding out.

Conrad's retinue

Conrad et al make their way towards the cultists whilst Alfero's group sneak in from another entrance.

The Preacher tries to convince his compatriots that Conrad should be listened to.

Things degenerate as Barbarus is spotted by Crastor the Gladiator and has to open fire.

Barbarus pins Crastor behind the pallet whilst Alfero decides on her next course of action.

Crastor and Barbarus end up in close combat which ends with Barbarus on the floor but saved by Alfero attacking in the back.

Alfero though had exposed herself and she comes under fire, whilst her blademistress Miss Capello had ended up fighting both Conrad and his other retinue member.

The two overcame her and the retinue member then moved around to throw a grenade which took out Alfero.

What I learned from that is I need to check retinue builds a lot more.   I do think Conrad's bunch were too combat focused, particularly for his back story and throwing a grenade in a mine did end the game, but I should have penalised the thrower more as it would lead to a potential collapse.    I should have also excused the npcs and just left it to the retinues.   Something to learn from.

Of the two games I was much happier with the first obviously, but next time it will be easier to build up scenarios that actually cater to the retinues much more.

Going to look at running another event in the new year and spend some time between now and then getting scenery sorted (or hopefully having the other GM with the scenery done).   Storylines have been started and the Inquisitors are already starting to make their presences felt on both worlds.

Dolnikan

It looks like you had a lot of fun. I love the pile of pictures, there never are too many of those. Some of the models look very interesting at a distance, any chance of closer distance shots?
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Keravin

You've got all the photos I managed to take on the day.   Next time I'm hoping for at least one more GM which will help free some time up.

Necris

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog