Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

What would you do with this Bit?

Started by Kaludram, August 31, 2012, 06:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaludram

I bought the old Catachan Sentinels kit with the idea of using the legs for various bionics or servitor parts.  It turns out, they're way too big--even in 54mm scale--for anything other than a large space marine.  So I put together a base (no pilot cage) to try to figure out what to use it for.  Nothing.  I like it a lot--the coolness factor is there, and I know that there is a good use--but it doesn't speak to me.

If this component speaks to you, please let me know what it says 'cause I want to put it in my warband, but I don't really know what it wants to be.
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

Koval

I recall someone in the Inquisitor rulebook using it as a sort of robot/weapons-platform.

With that in mind, you could stick a torso and head off the front of it and use it as some kind of gun-servitor. (I'd be tempted to avoid metal 54mm, though, as that might end up really front-heavy.)

greenstuff_gav

stick a dread torso on it! :)

or a head inna box?
EDIT: ( i was referring to Kaleds weapons servitor :D )
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Dolnikan

You could try to build an upper body on there, to have a heavily bionic character who has lost his legs and maybe some more and has been fitted with quite primitive replacements.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaled

Add a head-in-a-jar and some heavy weapons and call it a Praetorian Servitor...
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/kaled100/johann.jpg
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

maligoare

If it's too big, why not split the problem (and the legs) in half and make a heavy lifter servitor?  Use the upper legs for the servitor's legs, and then use the lower legs (the bits with two pistons) as some really heavy duty arms (a la Forgeworld's power lifter sentinel) attached straight at the shoulder.

krenshar

The one in the book stuck the sentinel's multilaser and chainsaw beneath the hips and called the domed cockpit joint a brain-jar.

But to me it says, "Give me a low Initiative and a BIG gun.  An assault cannon would be nice."

Kaludram

Thanks for all of the ideas.  I like the head-in-a-bucket concepts best.  I never much cared for the design in the =][= Rulebook--but flipping through the pages I did like the armored wheelchair concept in there.  That gave me an entirely new idea--which is what I was really looking for.

What about a cross between the armored wheel chair and Karamazov's Throne of Judgement--kind of a walking throne for a pompous Inquisitor or Adeptus noble...?  Think of the nobility being carried through the streets on a fancy litter or an Ecclesiarchy official on a sedia gestatoria like the Pope used to use.  But instead of being carried by people, this one is just on its own armored legs....

Hmmm, the juices are flowing.  What do you think?

krenshar

Bodyguard 1: "Sir, please get down, the walker may not be the safest place to be right now."

Planetary Governor: "Nonsense!  Just look at the crowd - and can't you hear the way they call to me?"

Bodyguard 2: "Do you think he can hear what they're shouting?"

Bodyguard 1: "...  Just watch out for snipers, will you."

That could be the centre-piece for a great scenario!  Inquisitor finds evidence of assassination attempt on local notable but noble refuses extra security; queue desperate race to scour street buildings for assassin(s) while the target advances along the road with his few lifeguards.

EDIT: Mark Tait's pulpit-sentinel might be good for ideas, modelling-wise.

Kaludram

Done--this bit is going to be a walking throne of some sort....now to just find a suitable seated figure to use for the lower half of the rider....

Ynek

One of the ideas that I had when looking at the sentinel legs was creating some sort of propaganda robot.

Essentially, it would be a walker that is sent into areas of high-tension to diffuse the likelihood of riots and/or civil unrest. Essentially, they act as reminder of the political authority in areas where it is beginning to weaken. They would, in effect, act as multimedia hard-points, providing people with the reassuring background brainwashing that makes them feel safe, and keeps them obedient.

This was actually an idea that I've been batting around for some time, now. I was originally going to pair one up with an imperial propaganda minister, and some sort of civil relations advisor. However, due to my current non-Inq-related workload, it seems unlikely that I'll ever get around to that particular idea, so it's probably only fair that I pass the idea on to others so that it might one day see fruition.

The basic concept was something along these lines:

http://s8.postimage.org/jov6hdfxf/propaganda_bot.jpg

In my more ambitious moments, I initially considered chopping up a couple of old mobile phones off of ebay, and putting their screens inside the propaganda-bot's visual displays so that I could play little videos through them. However, simply put, that idea was simply crazy and over-ambitious.

Partially inspired by Krenshar's little dialogue, I also drew up a rough concept image for the chair-walker, if you're interested in pinching any ideas from it:

http://s11.postimage.org/snb1p5odd/chairbot.jpg

The chair itself is loosely inspired by the famous throne in "A game of thrones" which has hundreds of spears and pointy things at the back. Since this is basically a more tehnologically advanced form of a similar idea, the smokestacks and exhaust pipes at the back are arranged in a similar manner.

The incense burners hanging from either side of the walker are intended so that the rider does not need to smell the awful reek of unwashed commoners.

The rare bird chained to the perch at the side of the chair is perhaps some sort of status symbol, or perhaps an attack animal or messenger bird. If you really wanted to play the "weird" card, you could say that the bird is a mind-controlling shapeshifter alien who took control of the rider's mind centuries ago, but that's just a wacky suggestion from the back of my mind.

The two spherical objects jutting out from either side of the walker's hips are supposed to be forcefield projectors of some sort. I originally started thinking about fitting the whole thing with a big glass dome, but that would be very un-science-fictioney, and also very difficult to model.

The "joysticks" are the controls for moving the thing, built into the armrests so that he can control the walker without looking like he's actually driving. The stick that projects up through the center of the chair from the sentinel's "head" is supposed to be a microphone for the loudspeaker system which is slung underneath the vehicle, from which he would be able to give his rousing speeches and shout his thanks to the commonfolks without having to go through the ordeal of getting close enough to actually smell them.

The long, thin, robotic arm underneath the vehicle is primarily intended to pass things up from the people below to the nobleman above, such as tasty little canapes, and little gifts like flowers. It would also be required to open doors for him or tap commoners out of the way, again without having to touch or smell them.

Of course, this is just a collection of ideas that formed in my mind whilst reading this thread, and you should feel free to pinch or disregard any of them as you see fit. ;)

[[Edit: Added a couple of "in case of emergency" direct image links.]]
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Kaludram

Ynek, I like the descriptions you have thrown up, but your pictures didn't make it to your post.  Could you try again, please?

Thanks

Inquisitor Dionzi

I'd make mashy spike plates as part of a terrain piece...
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Kaludram

@Ynek:  Awesome sketches.  The throne idea is similar to what I was thinking of creating.  Taking shape...