Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Swarbie's Inq28 Thread

Started by Swarbie, September 16, 2012, 01:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swarbie

I HAVE RETURNED! COWER, BRIEF MORTALS!
Well, it's been a long time since I've been around, probably almost a year. It saddens me to think of all I missed, but with the end of my final school year, getting ready for uni and a buttload of  personal issues I needed the break.

HOWEVER -with university has come new people. Wonderful new people who have motivated me  to do something I never managed to do before: MODEL AND PLAY!

... None of which has actually happened yet  :P But I do have the parts, and the rest of what I need (glue, greenstuff, etc) should arrive in the next couple of days.. In light of which I am preparing this thread to get feedback on my work and ideas.

The first couple of models I'll be doing will be a bodyguard and acolyte, made with parts from the Catachan Command Squad and Empire General plastic kits. Following them will be a BFG-wielding mutant henchman made with the Nurgle Chaos Champion (y'know, the one with the big axe). The bodyguard will be the big tough guy with a nasty hammer, and the acolyte will be a shotgun-wielding pretty boy :P Past these three models, anything could happen XD

Anyway, hopefully some pictures will happen within the week. IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK, GUYS  :D
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Koval

Holy smoke, Swarb, it's been a while...

I look forward to seeing what comes out.

Swarbie

Minor hitch; GW seems to still be processing my order of modelling supplies despite me having placed the orderWednesday (12th of September) -_-

If there's no progress on the supplies front by Friday I'll just go out into town and get some, hopefully this won't delay things too long
With it, my world
To dust returning

Swarbie

Alrighty then.

What with me still waiting on my modelling supplies (express shipping my arse), I popped into town this morning and picked up some glue and a Fantasy Chaos sorcerer.

Needing greenstuff to work on my planned characters, I took the sorcerer instead and began work on an Inquisitor. Apologies in advance for the briefness of this update and the crappiness of these photos (only had my iPad to hand).

Inquisitor Kolvus Greave (WIP)

"Fear is the greatest weapon a man can own"

Basically, he'll be armed with a plasma pistol, a sword and his creepy augmetic right hand. As a basic overview of his (current) background, Kolvus believes that the use of fear is the greatest weapon an Inquisitor can wield. As such, he dresses to intimidate the average Imperial citizen, cloaks himself with a Shadow-field and has a couple of very minor psychic powers used to trick and terrify opponents. At the moment, still looking for a head  :-\
With it, my world
To dust returning

Koval

Hoping that's more than just a regular sword in there...

You're probably going to want a hooded head. The Dark Angel Veterans have a pretty good one, the head's hooded but is otherwise bare and shouting. Comes with a bionic right eye, which can be pretty intimidating. Unfortunately, buying a whole kit just for one head comes quite high up on my List Of Very Dumb Things.

I'd honestly consider a rummage through your bits box, assuming you still have one.

Swarbie

I was thinking maybe an adamantium alloy for the sword, to give it a bit more bite and durability without going for the power sword/plasma pistol combo.

As to the head, I've just had an idea. Get a blank-faced helmet, like the ones from the dark eldar kits. Green stuff a swirly Inquisition symbol out the front of it. Voila! We now have a Holomask, allowing Inqusistor Greave (with a little extra psychic trickery) to change his appearance, broadcast his intentions without speaking  and scare the bejeezus out of some mooks. It'd be kind of like the helmet Zer0 from Borderlands 2 has  :P
With it, my world
To dust returning

Gilleon

I believe the helmet you are looking for is one of the dark eldar wych ones - has a smooth, mirrored look to it.
If you plan on sculpting a symbol onto it, may i recommend using liquid green stuff and "painting" the symbol on, i created space marine chapter symbols in this way and you can get much finer detail than with normal putty. Looking forward to how this comes along, looks good so far.

Swarbie

Ummmmm . . . What's liquid greenstuff, and how do I get it? XD
With it, my world
To dust returning

Koval

Liquid Green Stuff is exactly what it says on the tin -- it's a goopy liquid version of Green Stuff that you can paint onto things (with a paintbrush you don't mind wrecking -- I use a GW Standard Brush), primarily as filler but you can also use it to do a little bit of sculpting and/or symbol making.

Gilleon

Like Koval said, it's really simple to use, i mix it with a little water for smoother consistency and application. As an added bonus it makes highlighting your free hand a good deal easier. And you can buy it through GW... fairly cheap too.

Swarbie

HEYO! Update time!

First off, many thanks to both Koval and Gilleon for pointing out the miracle that is liquid greenstuff to me - I wasn't around for its release and would probably have never discovered it without you guys more or less handing me a pot :P

It's been a fair while, but the materials I ordered arrived a couple of days ago. Flush with victory and the news that I'll be getting a complete refund for the extreme delay, I went out and got myself a copy of Dark Vengeance. Gotta say, the Chaos models and Dark Angels characters are absolutely beautiful.

I've now got some work done on a variety of groups for INQ28, so let's get rollin'.

Inquisitor Greave

Nothing much here, just some sharper pics of what I've got so far

Combat Servitor Grix

Alright, this is what became of the Nurgle Chaos Lord I ordered. I went from obese cultist to BFG-mutant until finally settling on Gang combat servitor. Backstory runover: Roland and his little brother Alfonse ran a profitable protection racket in the underhives of Gryphonne IX until they pushed one old ex-Guard vet too far. Taking his old flamer, a hammer and a small mob, the vet pushed back, burning Roland badly and crushing his torso. When things quietened down, Alfonse dragged what was left of his big brother to a black market medicae, demanding he be patched up. With only vehicle parts, a stubber and the chassis from a run-down loading servitor, the medicae did the best he could, but what Alfonse ended up with was not his brother. Too deep in grief to bear hearing the name 'Roland', Alfonse christened his new companion GrIX. Now Alfonse has whatever he wants; gang bosses and nobles alike paying well for GrIX's service as a bodyguard. But Alfonse cannot bear to look upon his brothers face, covering it with a respirator.

Size comparison

Cultists

These Dark Vengeance models are too great not to include in some way, so they'll be used intermittently as NPCs and maybe one day I'll put together a proper cultist terror-band

Also, a cat :P

With it, my world
To dust returning

Gilleon

You're welcome dude, always happy to be able to provide assistance. Looking good by the way, though you may want to get rid of the chaos star on Greave's belt - as radical as he is that may be a step too far.   ;) I would  also de-chaos some of his armour, especially around the pauldrons and cuisses (thats the thigh plates if you don't know armour), that's just me though, it may be the look you are going for.
The rest look good, fyi Krautscientist did some nice cultist conversions, you may want to check them out.

Koval

Cortez

Gilleon

You could well be right Koval, I was under the impression though that faulds fully enveloped the upper leg, as opposed to being a plate like this one. But I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of armour components is fairly simple.

And agreed, that's some excellent blending work on the cat, so life-like.  ;)