Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A.Ds' INQ28

Started by A.D, September 23, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.D

Hi Guys!

I'm nowhere near as good at converting as the other guys that do INQ28... but I'll give it a go!

I'll start with my two newest characters-

+-+ The Wanderers +-+

(This is only a rough idea of a background)

I really want to do a space marine army in MKII Crusade Armour, which would be breaking my rules of no GW... but it would be fun and rewarding (and very expensive DD: ). I guess i'll do it one day, BUT It costs no money to write background.
                  The chapter disappeared or were captured or were killed to the point of almost extinction... i can't decide, i think the third it seems awesome.  BACK TO THE POINT.  These two guys are some of the last space marines from the chapter.  They don't have full power armour because the chapter only has MKII, which is sacred and has been sealed in the center of their monastery ship, until 500 space marines stand in the hall of sword.  When that time comes the chapter will be able to acces their considerable arsenal of heresy era weaponry, armour and tanks.
These two space marines travel across the galaxy getting recruits for the chapter, and researching what happened before the murder of their chapter (who, why, where etc).

+-+ END +-+

Now for some minatures.

Please give C&C, ask any questions you want!

A.D

Heroka Vendile

The conversions are nice and suitably GrimdarkTM, although they don't look beefcake enough to be space marines IMO.
One thing I would change is the scythe, it's too long and cumbersome to be paired with a large shield like that. My recommendation would be to chop off the staff just above the hand and replace with an axehead.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

A.D

yeah, they aren't particularly large but I thought that, as they aren't wearing armour they wouldn't be as large.  if they are the same size as a space marine in armour then it sorta looses the effect.
I thought that the scythe could be wielded two handed as he's not carrying the shield it's attached to his arm.  Does this/ will this work? 

Myriad

Well, he's a space marine, I guess he can swing it with one hand  :).

I don't see space marines making very good captives, so probably I'd stick to the wiped out story.  Although the notion of chapters rather postdates the heresy, I guess they'd be a lost part of a legion or something.  How they got seperated is a bit of an issue.  Vagiaries of the warp is always good.

I like the models, a real dangerous crusader look about them.  They don't look all that hefty for marines, but they are hefting marine sized kit around.  Maybe they were just neophytes, not on the battlefield at the time of the incident.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

krenshar

The shield would heavily restrict the range of motion possible with the scythe.  But nothing says he couldn't drop the shield when he got to slaughter-range; he is wearing a MkIV cuirass for protection after all.

Short of finding the whole chapter in sus-an, mass capture would be a real challenge.  So my vote is for the near-extinction too.

Chapters were a part of legion organisation (at least before the Horus Heresy book series) but were you planning to make the army crusade-era or just kitted out with MkII armour?

Depending on who you game with however, two marines could be hugely over-powered.  A chapter with so few marines left might augment serfs to act as agents though, which is what I'd use these guys as personally.  Vat-grown muscle and some other basic upgrades ought to be fairly easy work for an astartes apothecary, so they could be inhumanly strong and tough without being superhumans who take the challenge out of the game.

A quick final question; is the chaos bolter a salvaged weapon, or is it just an ornate imperial one?  I've assumed so far that you mean them to be loyalists but they'd also make excellent Word Bearers...

Eziah Kranox

I agree with the scythe being too long, unless his usual tactic is to pole vault over impeding terrain :).
From a purely fluff standpoint, you will need a very good reason for a chapter to only have mk 2 armour and a fortress monastery in a ship. Only having mk 2 makes them a force from the early period of the great crusade and thus still part of one of the founding legions. If this was the case the inquisition did not exist at that point or they would be reobsorbed back into the legion (if it was loyalist, shot if it was heretical). These problems can be overcome with good writing, but there is also another obstacle in you way. If there are not many of  them left, why would marines remove their primary advantage over the enemy and why wouldn't they try to reequip themselves.
I do like the models though and look forward to the fluff explanations.

A.D

Thanks for the replies guys!

I finished painting the Bolter wielding marine!  I like your idea of him being a neophant,  that way i could field both of them.. As far as the scythe goes, i cut it down considerably and changed the head for the top of a WHFB Dwarf miners pickaxe.  It looks very cool :D   The chaos bolter is an ornate crusade era bolter by the name of Liberánte which is deliverance in latin. I'm not sure why it's called Liberánte, I guess it just sounds cool :P

Fluff time...

This is going to be hard as i really want them to only have acces to MkII armour. But I really want to have them as a fan legion/chapter, I would really love them to be a crusade era chapter.  I would go along with mass extinction...except as Gav has pointed out to me (irl) the legion runs the risk of becoming a Lamenters clone :(.  I think the reason why they have removed their armour might have something to do with it being destroyed or salvaged.  I'm not really good at fuluff but i get VERY occasional moments of genius :3

Please continue to help! it's really appreciated!

A.D

Bloodpact

Sometimes i forget how ludicrously 'grimdark' you can go in 28mm by combining 40k and WFB bitz! Looks really smart though!
Repent! For tomorrow you burn!

A.D

Painting!  I really enjoyed painting these guys :D!

I removed the torch because i couldn't think of a good reason for it :3

Now some WIPs of the ex-scythe wielding neophyte!

And a random acolyte!

Please leave lots of C&C!!!

A.D