Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Vanguards (scratchbuilt jump packs)

Started by Johnno, October 11, 2012, 11:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnno

Hi all, thought I'd show off my Inquisitor scale vanguards, finished my second one two days ago. Planning on at least 5 (have 3 unbuilt kits right now). Scratchbuilt jump packs and weapons, plus some odd bits. Still struggling to learn the new Photobucket, so for now I hope nobody minds me linking to pics I've uploaded elsewhere.

Here's the CMON links for a few more angles
Thunderhammer Vanguard (my first): http://www.coolminiornot.com/310404
Poweraxe/Plasmapistol Vanguard (second): http://www.coolminiornot.com/316023

Quickdraw McGraw

Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

Cortez

Very Nice. Love the Thunderhammer and the pose on the First marine.

The only criticism I've got is that you might want to do something a bit more interesting for the bases.

precinctomega

Great to see you here, Johno.  I'm more of a lurker than a poster, these days, but I'm sure you'll get lots of interest.

I'll echo my admiration for the conversion work and would love to see how you built the jump pack - something I'm sure will get a lot of interest from Conclavers.  The bases are, indeed, a little dull by comparison, but I always favoured fairly dull bases myself.  I'll tell you what would really lift the paint jobs on these guys and that's the attentions of a competent airbrusher, to give them a more naturalistic highlighting that would provide some relief from the relentless blueness without making them look too toy-ish.

R.

DapperAnarchist

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Excuse me while I hide in fear... Those are great.

For the base, even just a heavy brown wash, Devlan Mud or similar, combined with some rough drybrushing with a pale brown or light grey would stop it looking like plastic.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dolnikan

They look very good, and I love the power axe. One thing that could be done would be painting on some icons, to break up the blue a bit.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Johnno

Thanks for the feedback folks, I'll reply to questions and comments best I can.

I originally had my first guy on a fancier base, with plasticard ontop that looked like metal floor, but just couldn't get the painting right, so in the last minute, with the figure already painted, I tore him off the base and replaced it. The very plain sanded and brownpainted base is what I've done for my 28mm marines, for the past 10+ years, decided to use it as half tribute and half not being bothered for anything fancier. It's not as much something I'm stuck with anymore, as just something I prefer to tie the army together. I'm sentimental and quirky like that, the base feels just right for my guys, while if I do anything else I'm happy doing fancy stuff.

As for the paintjob, I do wish I had an airbrush, haven't gotten as far as buying one yet, but eventually I'm hoping to get into it. I intentionally went easy on the highlight for now, as I'm not comfortable doing it on larger models. Will have to do a bit of research (looking at other people's models) and start learning.

Jump packs!
The Mk IV (hammerguy's) jump pack was built as a oneoff, even though I'll be doing a new one for casting when I make one for one of the future ones. It's mainly plasticard, the thrusters are made from the small and large track assembly wheels from old chimera/leman russ kits. The blue "cables" are electrical wiring. I think the ring at the main thruster exhaust is from a rhino hatchring.

The Mk VI/VII jump pack for the poweraxe guy was built in pieces, as I intended to make moulds and cast what I'd built from scratch. It was made in 4 basic pieces, the backpack front, back and airintake pieces. The thrusters are separate, but as I used preexisting pieces for them I made them as oneoffs, I have enough extra pieces to make two more and am still trying to find rawmaterials to make more. After casting (RTV silicone mould and 2part resin) I used liquid green stuff and regular greenstuff to tidy up and mount the thrusters, which are made from chimera/leman russ medium wheels, the black cylinder bit is from an old jeep model's wheels and then styrene tube pieces inside for exhausts. More electrical wiring for the cables, with styrene tube pieces to hold them in place.

Heroka Vendile

Those are some pretty sweet conversions there. I'm curious though, am I right in my guess that the plasma pistol comes from one of the Leman Russ sponson plasmacannons? it just looks the wrong shape and bulk to be the Devastator kit version.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Johnno

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on October 12, 2012, 09:55:32 PM
Those are some pretty sweet conversions there. I'm curious though, am I right in my guess that the plasma pistol comes from one of the Leman Russ sponson plasmacannons? it just looks the wrong shape and bulk to be the Devastator kit version.

Good guess, but it's actually a plasmacannon from the venerable dreadnought kit. The barrel end was sanded way down, while the rear was cut to size. Here's some WiP pictures.

Heroka Vendile

ah, forgot about the dreadnought version, nice work.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Johnno

Hi all, I've posted this elsewhere but figured I'd put it up here as well, so it's a copypaste, hope nobody minds.

Thought I'd show off what progress I've made on vanguard #3 so far.  It's all still very WiP but some feedback would be nice.

First off, torso. Doesn't look like much, but I thought I'd show where I plan to go with it. I haven't decided on a cable configuration or anything, but I'm going for the extra armour plate reaching down over his stomach and just below the belt.

I've reposed the legs ever so slightly, the foot he's supporting himself on as well has been adjusted so that he stands slightly more upright. The back of the legs with the cables and whatnot was filed down and filled with GS, and I've added studs to the back of the legs, as I do with my 28mm guys. There's no studs on the frontside, except two small ones on one of the kneepads. Legs are pretty much done except for whatever equipment or bling I decide on later.

And finally, powermaul. This is where I could use some extra input/ideas/opinions, I've been debating back and forth about how much I want on the striking blades/front of the maul. I've considered wires + nodes as on normal power weapons, I've considered the rings off the "original", thin plates bolted onto the cylindrical bit or just leaving the front as it is now. My idea for wiring+nodes would be two per blade, one on each side but offset lengthwise, so that one would be in front, the other in the rear. Thoughts?

Ancelyn

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Johnno

I'm just about done with the powermaul, still pondering if I want to add more to it but for now I'm satisfied so it's laying on the side waiting for any further ideas.

Slight progress on the chest so far..

Johnno

Been working on the chestpiece, still needs a bit of polishing, then studs and possibly an emblem in the middle. It's temporarily stuck on with bluetac for pictures.

Johnno

Bit more progress:

Torso pretty much done..

Started on the shield.

And a mockup picture to show the general idea for the pose.