Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Vanguards (scratchbuilt jump packs)

Started by Johnno, October 11, 2012, 11:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Dionzi

I'm glad this is just a WIP mock-up. His torso is twisted too far to the left. Otherwise, he's looking fantastic!
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Seargent Maxwell Forest

The jump packs look great.

Where did you get the helmets from?
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"

MarcoSkoll

The 54mm Space Marine helmets are an out of production part. However, last I heard, you couldn't get copies of them by talking to Greenstuff_Gav, so it would be a waste of your time to do so.

You'll just have to not find them elsewhere.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Johnno

Quote from: Inquisitor Dionzi on November 08, 2012, 09:36:56 PM
I'm glad this is just a WIP mock-up. His torso is twisted too far to the left. Otherwise, he's looking fantastic!

Yeah I just put everything together briefly for those pictures, torso is still loose and so are the arms. Will be tweaking the pose carefully once I get to finalizing it.

Quote from: Seargent Maxwell Forest on November 21, 2012, 08:13:21 PM
Where did you get the helmets from?

Ebay. I bought one helmet loose and then managed to score 2 helmet along with a NiB Artemis for only $10 extra. I'm in the process of trying to scratchbuild helmet(s) as well. Had I found this forum and MarcoSkoll's tidbit before buying the helmets I'd be taking his advice of not contacting Gav.

As for an update on my progress, I've been slightly distracted with a lot of other stuff, so don't really have anything new to show. Been putting together the jump pack, which of course now I'm starting to wonder if I want to use, am somewhat tempted to build the 1 jet version for this guy. Still pondering that. I've also worked on the shield a bit, thickened it up ever so slightly and have added rivets and an emblem today. Considering more bling plus a light. Also might have to redo his shield arm a bit more, he has a wrist computer thing there that I've been reducing a bit as not to collide with the shield, might have to remove it entirely depending on what kind of shield handle mounting I come up with.

Johnno

Here's the progress on the shield so far..

And WiP helmet..

Seargent Maxwell Forest

That helmet is starting to look realy good ;D

Hadriel Caine

Stunning work here. I'm always envious of the patience of people that can work with plasticard and GS on the same components. I'm particularly impressed with the Plasma pistol conversion. It looks great and is one of those 'small' details that really sells the conversion.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Johnno

Been distracted with a Ultramarine 'artemis' I'm trying to get done for christmas to give away as a present to my brother. Still very WiP but thought I'd give you folks a peek.

Seargent Maxwell Forest

He looks like he is ready to kill some scum in the name of the Imperium! 8)

Johnno

Slight update. Stomach/belt is done, boltgun has gotten a boxmag (and new shoulderstrap), shoulderpads have gotten studs and right one an emblem.

Inquisitor Dionzi

How are you planning on compensating for the off-kilter shape of the right pauldron? The originals (stock pewter mini) aren't symmetrical.
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Johnno

Quote from: Inquisitor Dionzi on December 09, 2012, 03:14:39 AM
How are you planning on compensating for the off-kilter shape of the right pauldron? The originals (stock pewter mini) aren't symmetrical.

Not sure what part of the right shoulderpad you mean, but I've sanded and filed it (partially with a powertool) to a passable shape. As much as I can be fussed with anyway, beyond clearing it of all detail and then reshaping it with putty and redoing detail I've done as much as can be done to make it presentable.

If you mean how they're sort of offcenter and go down further in the back than the front I don't mind it, on the pads with rims I've tweaked them slightly so it's not as apparent, on the clear ones it looks fine. I have toyed with the idea of scratchbuilt "perfect" shoulderpads, but that's for future models.

Inquisitor Dionzi

What I meant was - on the right shoulder pad, for instance - the front part of the pad is thicker than the back half. But what you've done looks good :)

I am looking at the bolter again and the hopper seems a bit truncated - not long enough on the inside: maybe a bit of a beveled end? There's no room for a spring system to force the bolter shells into the action... I'm having a bit of the same problem with designing the bolter pack, but patience is a virtue!
SKYFALL MINIATURES