Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm: Alice Fenn, ex-PDF Commissar, and friends

Started by Koval, October 21, 2012, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koval

Dusty the Computer Table returns to provide a photographing surface for this latest batch of modelling attempts. This time, it's my 54mm cell that I'm putting together specially for the December Conclave.

If any of the pictures are blurry, please let me know and I'll try to do a better shot.

Commissar Alice Fenn, left side -- a front shot doesn't show off the chainsword. I've absolutely no idea how it's straight but there's a blob of Liquid Green on top to file off once it's all dry.
Base model is Lady Grigoryan with a hand/weapon swap, a bionic eye, and shoulderpads of doom. All the Liquid Green around the base will eventually be covered over with a second layer, and then Astrogranite when I paint her, so no need to worry about that mess.
The autogun she's holding is a cut-and-paste of two M4 carbines from Zinge Industries -- one normal-sized, one Large Mutant sized.

Captain Viljo Relander, who's basically Major Jackson with different kit.
The gun's another chop-job, this time taking Zinge's Large Mutant sized AK-47, using the handle as a stock (because Relander's gun is meant to be a cheaply mass-produced weapon, so it's got a solid slab of polymer for a stock) and a hastily reconstructed bolter front (as I dimly realised that getting rid of the front iron sights was a Bad Idea). The magazine came from a Terminator's storm bolter, as I'd already chopped up a storm bolter for something else (that notably didn't work)

Tyra Lisanne Vargas, otherwise known as "Belladonna with a hand-swap". The Green Stuff around her waist is because I didn't think an exposed midriff really fitted the character. The gun's a Large Mutant scale Mauser C96, again from Zinge, which I'm using as a bolt pistol -- yes, it's justified, although explaining why she's like this will be a bit of a spoiler for the RP she's in so I'm keeping shtum. :P

Group shot

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kaludram

I've seen the Belladonna used to good effect in various manners but never the Eolith miniatures.  Do you feel they stack up correctly in size?  They always seemed more slight than the true 54mm scale let alone the practically "heroic" 54mm characters you see regularly.

I echo the praise on the simple swaps.  It's good to see how well just a few "tweaks" can effectively personalize a miniature.
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

Koval

Quote from: Kaludram on October 21, 2012, 11:59:14 PM
I've seen the Belladonna used to good effect in various manners but never the Eolith miniatures.  Do you feel they stack up correctly in size?  They always seemed more slight than the true 54mm scale let alone the practically "heroic" 54mm characters you see regularly.
I do recall that after some discussion with Marco, I did away with any ideas I had as to Alice's height -- as it happens, her stature doesn't make an awful lot of difference to the overall character concept, so I can live with the figure itself being that much smaller (my tape measure isn't giving me a very accurate measurement, although I think the figure itself is around 48mm tall, which could just mean she's a bit short)

In any case, some of the most assertive people I know have barely come up to my shoulder. :P

EDIT: Depending on what next weekend looks like and/or whether I'll have a job next week, I might actually start painting these soon.

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Kaludram on October 21, 2012, 11:59:14 PM

The Eolith range was moderately popular on the 'clave really, with Steve Buddle the sculptor (who also sculpted the INQ Arbites Judge and Lady Jena Orechiel) keeping us in the loop of upcoming releases he had.
Off the top of my head a can recall at least a couple different conversions for each of his 54mm range appearing on here.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Keravin

What have you used for Belladonna's hands as those are changed aren't they?

How you looking at basing them?

Koval

Vargas' hands are 28mm Space Marine hands -- they're the right sort of size to work as gloves. She's holding a grenade in her right hand (on the basis that I didn't want another gun or a melee weapon, which left that grenade-hand) and the left hand originally came with a left-handed bolt pistol.

I would've used Scout hands (as I recall Scout hands being quite usable on, say, Barbaretta), but I wanted to keep the ones I had for Alice.

As for basing, I'll probably use Astrogranite done over with Skavenblight Dinge (on the Citadel bases; the scenic mini-base that the Grigoryan figure comes with will probably just be done over in different greys, without the texture-paint), unless there's a decent way to do rust for Vargas' base. That thing she's stepping over could, for example, be a bit of industrial wreckage.

Adlan

Those shoulder pads sure are a natural conversion. I did the same on my Lady Grigoryan conversion.  ;D

The Chainsword looks fantastic. Lots of leverage.