Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm models and modelling resources

Started by Kaled, August 02, 2009, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Can anyone do some side-by-sides for the new Mechanicus robots? The torsos, if large enough, look like they might work well as alternate more technological Marine torsos
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

TallulahBelle

I scaled one against a 54mm character but don't have photo's I think with conversion and a different head they could easily be an alternate power armour or even possibly become terminator armour (may the Divine Emporer forgive me for what I have done)

The Walker thing has promise as a servitor as does the tracked gun thing with conversion work to eliminate the size issue of the body.

The clawed beast tank thing I could also see used as something evil and human powered.

MarcoSkoll

Possibly of minor help to anyone who does want to use a Kastellan, I've nicked one of the store images and scaled a grid to fit its 60mm base, so these are cm squares:

Big enough that it would be a fair guard construct or the like for Inquisitor, although how usable parts are for anything else...

Quote from: jediknight129 on June 20, 2015, 01:04:33 PM
I scaled one against a 54mm character but don't have photo's I think with conversion and a different head they could easily be an alternate power armour or even possibly become terminator armour (may the Divine Emporer forgive me for what I have done)
The issue there would be the pelvis of the robot would need some tinkering to make it look like an actual person could fit inside.

As for Terminator armour - it might sound hypocritical to say it, given that Leander has enough firepower to vaporise half a terminator squad with a single shot, but it does present a balance problem.
As you get past power armour's AV, you get into a realm which is a big tipping point as far as weapon damage. The FAQ's suggested AV 15 is entirely invulnerable to some weapons (2D6+3 and less can only scratch it), but other weapons can punch through it pretty easily (bolters, whether the LRB or RIA version are around 50% to penetrate).

QuoteThe clawed beast tank thing I could also see used as something evil and human powered.
The Onager reminds me of Howl's Moving Castle, which means I have this mental image of them wobbling along like a jelly... which is fine for a magical abode, less so for an advanced war-engine.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I'm sure most of us are aware of the current Age of Sigmar maximum drama time that's happening.
Did anyone pick up a White Dwarf to see how the free notSpaceMarine measures up to a 54mm model?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on July 04, 2015, 07:18:44 PM
I'm sure most of us are aware of the current Age of Sigmar maximum drama time that's happening.
Someone over on the Infinity forums described it as "The ship is sinking and the band keep playing, and now they're playing circus music". I know that Warhammer Fantasy wasn't enjoying great sales figures, but this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think some of the concepts could actually be very interesting with the right players (as model's performances can hinge on stuff like whether you have an impressive moustache or are prepared to admire yourself in the mirror, list building can become entirely individual). Round up some Inquisitor players and it might actually work, but their current audience are not the kind to appreciate that kind of co-operative competition, and instead prefer arguments discussions about points costs and coming up with their next killer list.

QuoteDid anyone pick up a White Dwarf to see how the free notSpaceMarine measures up to a 54mm model?
The comparison pics that are coming out show them as about a head taller than 28mm Space Marines. You'd need to be rather creative to use them for 54mm scale.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

Aye, from my readings since that last post, receptions seems to range from "Could be ok-ish" to (the more common) "Holy heck what in the world were they thinking, this is the stupidest thing ever".
To be honest, I'm toward the latter end of the spectrum.
I really don't think a complete tear-down and rebuild was the best way to do this, though a significantly different ruleset probably was needed to revitalise the scene (or whatever the appropriate term would be).
And as far as the extra IRL special rules... Not a fan. I'm all for Ork players screaming Waaaaaaaaagh when the mood takes them, but not enforcing it.

As for scale, I read they were around the size of Nobz. Pictures since then suggest they are, barely, in height rather than build.
So not much uses for our lot.

Aurelius

Just posted on the Anvil Industries page
https://www.facebook.com/AnvilIndustry/posts/855043351243652:0

Man that Protos model is looking sweet for a female tech adept or priest!
I can attest to the crispness and casting quality of Anvil's 28mm stuff, so this is definitely on the to buy list.
Cheers
Aurelius

Mike Blake

Source of cheap basic plastic 'Space Marine' figures for conversion fodder - StarCraft 'Bag o' Marines' at www.blizzard.com. They are ia sale right now, making them even better value at about GBP£10 for 9 figures in 3 poses.

There is also a 'Bag o' Zerglings', 9 figures which look very much like Genestealers!

(Would post a picture but can't see how to???)

Van Helser

Quote from: Mike Blake on September 15, 2015, 03:17:50 PM
Source of cheap basic plastic 'Space Marine' figures for conversion fodder - StarCraft 'Bag o' Marines' at www.blizzard.com. They are ia sale right now, making them even better value at about GBP£10 for 9 figures in 3 poses.

There is also a 'Bag o' Zerglings', 9 figures which look very much like Genestealers!

(Would post a picture but can't see how to???)

Let's see what I can do to help.

Here's a link to the deal: LINK

Zerglings:

Marines:

Zerglings could be of some use as generic gribblies I think. 1:32 scale for those interested.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

The recently revealed Dr. Beitel from Wild West Exodus looks like he'd fit 54mm scale when he comes out:

There's some hair on his forearms that might need filing down, but other than that he seems like he'd be a great base for some kind of (possibly chem addicted) ganger.

GW's =I= articles

Mike Blake

Thanks Van H, very helpful of you. Is there an explanation somewhere of the drill for attaching photos?

Wow that 'Cowboy' looks awesome! He looks to good to me to be just a ganger though...

Koval

I think Marco's talking about the big bruiser with the meat cleaver; WWX bills itself as 35mm scale.

MarcoSkoll

Well, the cowboy does have potential as a biggish bloke in INQ28, but the teaser fluff is that that the massive brute is supposed to have abused some super soldier serums or something. Knowing that WWX uses ~30mm-ish bases for the standard models, a bit of measuring suggests he'll be 55-60mm tall.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Nice start point for a heavily Immortan Joe-influenced villain (or I guess hero! this is Inquisitor after all... every one gets to be the protagonist)
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!