Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Moddeling a fur coat/robe. Advice needed

Started by Dwi, November 19, 2012, 04:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwi

Can anyone give me some tips for this? I plan on useing the Esignhorn moddel for this project. I have never used GS before so I am kinda wondering what it would take.
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

Trasher

I'm interested in this too, as I want to try and make a mutated (read I can't sculpt for [EXCOMMUNICATE]) Beastman with fur on his legs and upper back. I've only tried fur once, didn't get it right so took it off. Here's three links to tutorials I've saved, I tried the one from The Ogre Stronghold:
ONE
TWO
THREE

I guess practice makes perfect so try just making a pelt on a flat surface at first if you're afraid of messing your model up.
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Radu Lykan

i find with fur you just need to keep poking it with a sculpting tool until it looks right, just keep plugging away and eventually it all of a sudden turns in to what you were aiming for.
if you want a finer finish, not so shaggy, then use a safety pin rather than a knife etc but again just keep at it, poke and drag

Inquisitor Dionzi

Remember too that fur, like hair, is layered - finer hair or fur closer to the skin and coarser stuff on top. What does this mean? Well, fur, like hair, ripples according to what's happening beneath the easily visible surface. This is mimicked when sculpting by using your sculpting tool to disturb the epoxy putty's surface tension, causing a varying surface. A good example of this is the WHFB Chaos Warriors.

Look at the third photograph from the top on this link:
http://subjecttostupidity.blogspot.ca/2010/08/theme-of-fur.html
SKYFALL MINIATURES

greenstuff_gav

i'd start by having the shape of hte cloak already set and dry. this'll be easier to push on to sculpt the fur.

put a thin layer of greenstuff on the bottom. then use the blade end of the sculpting tool to do a series of vertical lines all the way across. Let it set then repeat on the next layer up, continuing the process till at the top
i'd post an example pic but my guys are at work  :-\
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination