Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Character Concepts

Started by Hadriel Caine, September 20, 2009, 09:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadriel Caine

Hello,

Its about time I wrote a new warband methinks.
I talked, a few weeks back, about a witchunter style group of puritans.
Thing is, I don't like puritans...

The warband is going to be 'lead' by Renegade, cad, bounder and con artist Narcissus 'Narce' (surname forgotten for now :D )
He is a new concept I was thinking of: He poses as a Rogue trader, dresses like a rogue trader but is not actually an official or licensed rogue trader at all. He claims to be ex-military but was, in reality, a low level mercenary on some back water world. All of his equipment and finery is stolen and he has made his getaway to the other side of the galaxy...

I would like to use the Bodyguard as the basis for this model.

I thought it would be cool if he were extremely paranoid about the authorities finding out about him.
He has rejected Imperial creed but worships the Emperor. Publicly he is ever ready to look down on others to enhance people's views of his own standing but privately he needs every friend he can get.

Ideally he should be fairly hopeless but extremely lucky. I would appreciate suggestions on how to govern this in game.

His retinue/ followers/ passengers will be an incognito Inquisitorial agent (part of the reason Narce thinks he's being followed is her continued drawing of attention) and a couple of bodyguards/ a courtesan.

thoughts so far?

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Adlan

Sounds pretty good. He's the dumb pretty boy cover for the work of an actual inquisitor? Or the pawn in an inquisitors plan, managed by the agent in the party?

I assume the agents involvement is why he hasn't actually been found out?

RobSkib

First up; he needs the Plain Dumb Luck ability!

Secondly, I think you should mostly represent it with how you play him, and what scenarios he gets involved in. Stats should be pretty average across the board, perhaps with a notably lower nerve? Other than that, I'm not really sure, he needs good reasons to be involved in scenarios, and the more convoluted you can make his excuses for picking fights the better, as he tries to reassure others (and in part, himself) that he has made a sound tactical decision from  his 'years of military training'! :P
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Tullio

I suggest cronies to ape the mannerisms of a Rogue Trader. A reclusive psyker pretending to be some kind of Astropath, unlicenced pilot claiming to have been a Navy flyboy in his day etc etc

Tullio

Heroka Vendile

so are you thinking along the lines of "intergalactic conman", such as the Shark or Charlatan descriptions in the Scum career path of Dark Heresy?
or more of a wanna-be whose plans tend to fall apart resulting in fleeing to the next system as quickly as possible?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Hadriel Caine

@ Adlan- he's actually pretty much being used as transport by a fleeing Ordo Pessimus operative (declared excommunicate Tratoris some time ago in my gaming group's story line) who uses his frequent scrapes with the law to detract attention from herself (a bit crazy I know but... the Ordo Pessimus does crazy very well). She's on the run with no where to go and may need him as a barter chip in the future.

@ RobSkib- Plain Dumb luck will definately be making an appearance as will low nerve. I'm going to walk him brazenly into a lot of situations and enjoy watching him worm his way out of them I think.

@ Tullio- I like that idea, especially the unlicensed pilot... think I may have just the model (see P&M forum soon)

@ Heroka- I have never played Dark Heresy and have only glimpsed at the rule book so I don't know the specifics of what you are talking about. I think he will end up being somewhere between the two, he IS successful but also frequently on the run. Somewhere between Mal Reynolds, Han Solo and erm. well I can't think of anybody successful but he is happy if he finishes a job with food in his belly, a woman in his bed and a ship that can still fly.

I think I may have a source for the bodyguard too which is exciting. :D

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

Hadriel Caine

Captain Narcissus Romanov,

'Narce' is right handed

Equipment: Flak armour on all locations except head, average bionic eye, digital laspistol ring (one shot...), Naval Pistol, completely ordinary sword with lots of pretty runes on it, random amount of ammo (he may have forgotten to pack any, he may have overstocked due to paranoia- GMs discretion)

'Special' Abilities: Plain Dumb Luck (I could use a definition of this!), Word of the Emperor (GMs discretion- Narce is VERY good at talking his way out of things. He isn't, however, constantly on the run for no reason... 50% chance of success)

NB: I dont have my rulebook to hand and havent played in a while so correct me if I'm confusing anything with something else.

Now to give some thought to his 'cronies'...

c&c welcomed as ever

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

psycho

Lol i was thinking about doing a Serentiy Crew but obviously i will have to use a different mini as the bodyguard is a bit too "rotund" for Mal
Also how would you go about doing a Jayne Conversion?

kerby

Hadriel Caine

oooh. I will give that some thought and get back to you.

what do you think of the rules/ equipment etc? not to OTT?

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

psycho

like the random ammo bit it adds character lol although i must say that the one shot digi ring is a nice touch

kerby

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adam Cunis on September 23, 2009, 05:54:34 PMPlain Dumb Luck (I could use a definition of this!)
Kal Jericho article. I take it you either have it, or you know where it can be found...

Not sure Word of the Emperor is what you want (particularly as it can stun daemons!). Persuade is probably a better choice.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

psycho

Ive got Exterminatus 2 (the only issue i bought lol) to hand so.

Plain Dumb Luck
The Emperor smiles kindly on the character and they are able to defy the odds and extricate themselves from the most difficult of circumstances. Once per game they may re-roll any one Difficulty test and choose to keep either result, or you may force a -60 modifier on any opposing character's roll that directly affects the lucky character. GM's must be prepared to judge if there are any incongriuty in whether the character is affected by a roll.

there you are lmao

kerby

Hadriel Caine

oooh persuade sounds like it might be good *searches in vain through tip of a room, remembering he needs to pack for uni, for rulebook... fails* will find it in the morning... :D thanks Marco

@ Psycho cheers mate- v helpful to see it onscreen, like the rule a lot, it fits here I think! You know I think I might have Exterminatus 2 somewhere lying around, I do have the Kal model... would make sense... I do have most of Exterminatus somewhere, damned two houses!

any feedback on the character concept? Sal thinks its a bit hacky but I don't think it came across quite right. This guy is 40k, he IS a bastard and he IS a successful con-man... just not necessarily when it comes to dealing with the Inquisition.

cheers

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

precinctomega

Persuade is, indeed, a much better with than WotE.  You may be interested in the draft rules for persuasion from INQ2:

PERSUASION
Often there will be occasions when one character wishes to talk another character into doing what he wishes.  Persuasion is an opposed test with the persuading character making a Leadership test using half-Leadership.  If he is successful, the target must make a Willpower test on half-Willpower, modified by -10 for each degree of success the persuading character had in his Leadership test.

Note that the target must be able to hear or otherwise understand the meaning of the persuading character.  Players should use common sense when determining whether a character can be persuaded to do something and the GM should arbitrate any disagreements; however, a persuaded character will not shoot at or attack the persuading character.

A persuaded character may spend Actions considering the persuading character's offer by making an intelligence test (see page XX).  If this is passed then the character is no longer persuaded.

Note that a player may choose for a character to be persuaded without testing.

The "Persuasive" attribute in INQ allows such a character to persuade opponents using his full Leadership.  There is also a "Stubborn" attribute which allows an opposing character to use his full Willpower against attempts to persuade.

R.

Hadriel Caine

That sounds like it could work!

So, Persuasive is the ability that allows a character to be more persuasive under the regular rule of persuasion?

I'll sub that in for WotE for sure.

Adam

p.s. new model in my painting log!
The Fall of Astraea