Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Semi-Auto, Full-Auto and Flame

Started by MarcoSkoll, December 09, 2012, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

As I've been hinting for a while, I've been working on some alterations to some of the shooting rules to fix their quirks. And here are some of my current thoughts.

Semi-Auto
I've got several ideas for semi-auto, most of which focus around reducing the flat penalty, but instead increasing penalty for range.
The intent here is to make it so that things like Semi(6) don't come across as entirely ridiculous at short range (hopefully getting rid of the cases where shooting at 4 yards is almost guaranteed to go wide) but keep it very much in check at longer ranges.

~~~~~

1) A penalty of -5 per shot, plus doubled range penalties.
This is one of the prettiest versions in terms of rules simplicity, but will occasionally mean things like a quarter inch in a measurement could be differences of +/- 30 or more to hit chances. It's also perhaps a bit nasty in combination with Range F.

2) A penalty of -5 per shot, plus doubled range.
I liked this until I came to realisations like 18 yards with Range E would go from being -15 to -75. Doesn't work well with Range H or I either. But I'm recording it here anyway.

3) A penalty of -5 per shot, plus treat the range as 10 yards higher.
A lot less pretty, loses some of the short range impact, still doesn't work well with Range H or I. However, definitely fixes the issue with Range F, and doesn't overload bands like E.

4)A penalty of -5 per shot, plus an additional -5 for each 10 yards (or part) range to the target.
Not very elegant, but more fluid in its transitions and works well for all range bands.

5) A penalty of -5 per shot per 10 yards (or part).
Not too ugly rules wise. It's equivalent to the current version between 10-20 yards, but not as horrifically inaccurate for high fire rates at short range. Slow, considered semi-fire is reasonably effective at 20-30 yards. But past that, you're getting into total chance.

6) A penalty of -5 per extra shot per 10 yards (or part), plus some basic penalty for rapid fire (maybe -10).
Similar to the above - a little less pretty, but makes the drop off with range a bit more gradual (and perhaps makes point blank a little less lethal).

~~~~~

I really don't like #2 and #3 on full consideration, but they came up in my brainstorm, so I've included them. I'm more divided on the other four. #1 and #5 have simplicity on their side, but the end numbers are a bit nicer with #4 and #6.

Full-Auto
Well... short version is that I think I'd like to make it a bit more like a special case of semi-auto. I don't think the rules need to feel as wildly different to normal shooting as they currently are. Still, you'd change the exact modifiers, allow it to engage multiple targets, no placed shots, etc.

However, I admit, I haven't really got even a finalised draft here, as it really depends on what semi-auto house rule I finally favour. (But may have an effect on that decision).

Flame
I'm pretty much down to one favourite idea here, heavily cribbed from the 40k RPG auto fire rules. (Contrary to the above statement, I think it works well here).

Flame weapons are at a basic +30 to hit. This is then modified by range A (but is still limited by the weapon's own range), target movement (penalties are doubled) and number of targets (with a -20 for each target after the first).
Success scores one hit and each two degrees of success adds another hit. Roll location and damage for these as normal. (If you wish to simplify flammability, an odd D100 roll on the location tables will set that location on fire.)

Obviously, this means a heavy flamer at point blank is still almost certainly going to result in a stationary target having a very bad day. But for those a bit further away or mobile, it will be a little less burny.
And this takes flame weapons from their currently pretty time consuming format - needing to roll how many hit rolls they get, then take that many BS rolls, etc, etc.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles