Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

How does an Inquisitor eat?

Started by Drubbels, December 29, 2012, 03:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drubbels

An Inquisitor can, of course, simply demand most very expensive things he might need on the fly, but how does he pay for his day-to-day expenses? Where does he get the money to buy his dinner (or have it bought, more likely)? An Inquisitor would probably be statistically likely to come across an enormous amount of Thrones at some point in his career and never worry about financial problems again, but how does he eat before that? Does he get a 'salary' of sorts from the local Conclave? Or does he whip out his rosette every time he goes to the grocery store?

I realize that individual Inquisitors will handle things diferently, but does anyone have any thoughts on how an Inquisitor could approach this?
Previously "Adeptus Noob"

DapperAnarchist

Probably through using Inquisitorial resources. Most worlds would have some kind of Inquisitorial office, secretive or otherwise, and it would be easy for an Inquisitor to requestion funds that work on an interplanetary scale (Throne Gelt, Guilder credit, Navigator House Scrip, etc) and then have an agent convert that into local currency in some way - either through a private bureau de change type system, or an Administratum system, or even just by paying a local trader in Gelt/credit/scrip for local currency. Also, I would think many Inquisitors wouldn't trust the local grocery store. Far too easy to poison.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adeptus Noob on December 29, 2012, 03:13:38 PMAn Inquisitor would probably be statistically likely to come across an enormous amount of Thrones at some point in his career and never worry about financial problems again, but how does he eat before that?
Bear in mind, an Inquisitor's career starts decades before they ever hold the rank. They will have spent many years as an Interrogator, and likely a long period as a lesser agent beforehand.

I imagine that many Inquisitors were independently wealthy before they even received the promotion - and it's entirely likely that may even form part of when their mentor believes they are ready to be considered for sponsorship.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Seargent Maxwell Forest

I also think that he could most likely call upon the inquisitions resources if he needed food also if they have their own spaceship I would think they would have supplies onboard.
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"

Zephon

My own long-running Inquisitor (and now Dark Heresy) game has the Silax Consortium, a trading group granted certain specific exemptions and immunities across the whole Leaftra Sector. They are too small to rival any big players except in the niche markets they have a monopoly on. The whole organisation is ridden with Inquisitorial agents, and they can divert funds as the Holy Ordos require.

Gideon

Printing money, manipulating markets, budgetary requests, stipends from Ordo offices, theft, extortion, personal resources, gambling, trading, etc.

And if all else fails... "Freeze, citizens! This is the God-Emperor's Most Holy Inquisition! We require that you immediately surrender your delicious Nutri-Burger (tm) with a side of Choco-Chips (r) and a large glass of Generi-Drink!"
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Dolnikan

Most inquisitors have access to one very simple supply of wealth, the people that they hunt down. After all, those cultists won't be using their money anymore, freeing it up for the inquisitor or his or her agents to use. These resources could then be invested and stored, or even handed over to others. I think that this would be one of the major sources of wealth for many inquisitors.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

SpruferMLB

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on December 29, 2012, 04:18:44 PM
Probably through using Inquisitorial resources. Most worlds would have some kind of Inquisitorial office, secretive or otherwise, and it would be easy for an Inquisitor to requestion funds that work on an interplanetary scale

Suddenly I wonder if an Inquisitor could be branded a heretic for claiming expenses on the new swimming pool in his hab-block...
Lighting again streaked its way across the sky and deep down in the impenetrable darkness, the King in Chains stirred.

Dolnikan

Quote from: SpruferMLB on January 28, 2013, 09:55:55 PM
Quote from: DapperAnarchist on December 29, 2012, 04:18:44 PM
Probably through using Inquisitorial resources. Most worlds would have some kind of Inquisitorial office, secretive or otherwise, and it would be easy for an Inquisitor to requestion funds that work on an interplanetary scale

Suddenly I wonder if an Inquisitor could be branded a heretic for claiming expenses on the new swimming pool in his hab-block...

He certainly would be, after all, one should not waste the Emperor's resources.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

DapperAnarchist

Then again, Inquisitors do build and fund Mansions and luxurious vessels, all to keep up the appearance of power... might be a good campaign though, arguments leading to battles over whether an Inquisitor who is seen as being lax and lazy should be punished.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Gideon

I wonder if there is an Ordo that monitors expenditure. An Ordo Expenses if you will.

It would certainly make a change from all the factionalised madness:

"You are under investigation for failure to correctly declare expenditures."
"But... you're not bothered about the Daemonhosts?"
"Not in the slightest. What you do with your time is of no matter to me, I am concerned with the filing of your receipts..."
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Ynek

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on January 29, 2013, 09:49:03 AM
... being lax and lazy should be punished.

One of my earliest characters, Inquisitor Evad, was an exceptionally lazy, sloppy, and controversial figure. He was born as the bastard son of a prostitute in the city of Vitium on Gellar's World, spending most of his youth as a street urchin, hiding from the gangers who sought to kidnap and/or use him to extort money from his mother and her pimp. He was inducted into the Inquisition as a deductor when his mentor, Inquisitor Immunovich, mistakenly believed that Evad was the subject of several ancient Thorian prophecies.

Evad proved to be a resourceful, if lazy student who would spend more time trying to cheat his way out of work than actually doing any. His master had many followers in the Inquisition, who were readily convinced by the charismatic and persuasive Immunovich that Evad was indeed the child that these prophecies referred to. Many of Immunovich's followers were introduced to Evad face-to-face at conclaves, councils and gatherings. Perhaps due to his unpleasant personality, untidy dress sense and lack of good manners, most were (unsurprisingly) not impressed or convinced by Evad's alleged divinity. However, out of the dozens who were introduced to Evad, only two others would actually be required for Evad to earn his rosette.

These two inquisitors were the senile Inquisitor Grimman*, who was nearing 520 Terran Standard years of age, and would likely have promoted a chimpanzee if one had been a candidate. The other inquisitor was the highly religious Inquisitor Sanderson, who was relatively unimpressed by Evad, but had enough faith in his old mentor, Immunovich, that he was willing to make an act of faith and support Evad's candidacy for Inquisitorial status.

Evad therefore became an Inquisitor, when really, from the start, he was NOT inquisitor material. If anything, he was a light-fingered pickpocket who lacked the ambition or drive to take on such a responsibility. He was a lowly street rat who could not fulfill such a lofty role. When his mentor, Immunovich, died of old age at the age of 712 Terran Standard (314 years of which were spent as little more than a brain in a jar,) Evad no longer felt that there was an authority hanging over him to make him do any work, so he became lazy, procrastinative, and lax in his duties.

The reason that I bring him up is that he earned his money by "siezing tainted goods" that were affected by "non specific warp contagions" or "chaos filth" when in fact the goods were perfectly clean of all taint. Evad was essentially using his Inquisitorial powers to legitimise theft. In essence, he misused his Inquisitorial powers to serve his own ends, living as a hedonistic, lazy bum. Immunovich's supporters protected Evad from political backlash for a long time, and for a while, it looked as if there was likely to be a small Inquisitorial war in the Levitus Subsector as a result of Evad's actions. In an attempt to defuse the situation, the High Lords dispatched a Callidus assassin to slay Evad, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

In a final attempt to break all support for Inquisitor Evad, he was framed for the disappearance of the beloved public servant Aerin Anastasia Zukovsky by Inquisitors Lucifer, Lilith and Horn.

Inquisitors Lucifer and Lilith were participating in a plot to manipulate the Imperial military into supporting their proposed invasion of Omega. Inquisitor Horn was an Amalathian who was simultaneously trying to protect the highly decorated military leader, General Hector Hernandez Magellan, from the backlash of his crimes, and also trying to prevent an Inquisitorial Schism around Inquisitor Evad's embarrassing misconduct.

The result was that Evad lost all support from his previous protectors and supporters, and his rosette was revoked. He still operates as a petty criminal in other areas of the Imperium, but feels that he cannot return to the Levitus subsector, as there would be nothing to stop his once political rivals from putting a bolter round in his skull should he ever return.

Evad's explicator, Sophie Vandus, was instrumental in the uncovering of the truth of Aerin's disappearance a few years later, but in exchange for her silence on the matter, Inquisitors Lucifer, Lilith and Horn agreed to support her candidacy for Inquisitor status. She is currently finishing her 'training' under the tutelage of Inquisitor Horn.

I felt that I should share this story because it illustrates quite nicely how someone who should, by all rights, never have made it to the rank of Inquisitor could eventually, theoretically, reach that rank. Blind faith in the prophecies of madmen is something that many Inquisitors and other holy-men have. If they misinterpret the aforementioned prophecy, then it could lead to some very questionable types getting into the ranks of the holy Ordos.

I've always told myself that if I ever attend a conclave gathering at WHW, I would remodel Inquisitor Evad and take him with me as my warband, because I just love his character, even if I haven't played with it for years.

*Of course, most Inquisitors who fall into this kind of mental state would be encouraged by their peers to retire. However, why would you let someone like Grimman retire when he's so useful? Any time you want to suggest a radical idea to the concensus, you can count on his vote. He was basically a representation of my own cynical perspective on politics - that some people in politics are kept around not because they're good at their job or because they're competent, but because they can be counted on to vote in favour of what they're told to vote in favour of.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."