Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Gideon Syme, and his Staff

Started by Gideon, January 15, 2013, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon

I had a look through all my bitz this afternoon and decided to keep Laschalle's bolt pistol, if only because I don't have a suitable replacement!

I may up Syme's Sg to 76 or 77, but I don't think I'll go much higher than that. Have a read of his short biography and let me know if you think his stats are still kosher...
In nomine Imperator Dei!

MarcoSkoll

I'm gonna have to disagree with Koval and Cortez here - as Syme's background specifically said "not a spectacular fighter or shot", he does not strike me as a BS 75 kinda guy.

Take my namesake, Inquisitor Skoll. He's got a history that's generally a list of superlative ballistic feats like having been a gunsmith's apprentice, growing up on a dangerous agri-world where everyone older than about 8 knew how to use a gun, customising or designing most of his weapons, etc - but suffice to say that one of his sources of inspiration is this guy.

In short, he actually is a spectacular shot. In fact, the highest "human" BS score I've got - a mighty 73. Well, and a shooting skill.
He has attracted the occasional comment (and an outright forum rant, although we'll not touch on that particular disagreement any further) about maybe being a bit too good, despite him only packing a stub-auto.

Personally, I would have seen Syme's old BS of 65 as already pretty decent. In fact, many of my characters with bona fide military training are still only low 60s on WS or BS (although might have a skill or two to buff that).
Were Syme explicitly stated as a bit more of a bad-ass, some higher stats would be called for, but "fair" in Inquisitor isn't just about being equal, it's about being true to the character.

To move on, I'd say Moritz's Initiative 55 seems a little slow for a militant Interrogator, and Laschalle's faith might make her Willpower 63 a little higher.
Unless that's intentional, I'd say 10 points to each of those would be fair.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

In all honesty, my comment was made in a tearing hurry (as is this one) so my eyes settled on the 80s and thought "hmmmmmmm". BS 75 does indeed seem a tad high, so as a sort of middle ground I'd settle for "high 60s" rather than "mid 60s".

One very quick note on your fluff, if you're hoping to join in with any Conclave events, the current convention is that we're in 013.M42 -- if nothing else, it allows us to actually reference events brought up in existing background.

Gideon

Hm. Adding a couple of hundred years will significantly change things...! I shall muse on this. Possibly a case of getting lost in the Warp for a bit, but we shall see.

As for the BS; I just went over Syme's stats and added 10 everywhere  :P so dropping back to 65 is fine by me. Moritz's I 55 can be upped to 62 and Laschalle can have a WP of 70.

How's that feel?
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Koval

Makes sense, although you'd need to drop Syme back to Sg 70-something as you indicated you were going to, so that he doesn't suddenly rival a Magos or high-ranking Administratum adept for intellect.

I realise that this is also a very short post that looks like it's been done in a hurry, but short of telling you what I'd do if these were my own characters (which is hugely counter-productive because they're not), there's not much I feel I can add, beyond "get in a few games with them and see if they perform as you feel they should". I did that with Alice, and decided that, for example, Sg 56 actually made naff-all sense for a Schola-educated former Commissar.

Gideon

In all honesty I suspect the first game these characters will see is going to be at the 2013 IGT.

Which is why I'm so keen for feedback!  :P

Latest profile sets:

SYME:

WS BS S T I Wp Sg Nv Ld
63 65 56 52 73 82 76 74 80

MORITZ:

WS BS S T I Wp Sg Nv Ld
72 45 50 52 65 71 69 72 68

LASCHALLE:

WS BS S T I Wp Sg Nv Ld
53 52 49 51 52 73 61 60 59

In nomine Imperator Dei!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Gideon on January 19, 2013, 12:46:53 AMIn all honesty I suspect the first game these characters will see is going to be at the 2013 IGT.
If desperation hits home, a stat tweak or two between games shouldn't cause any problems. I'd probably do the same thing if I felt a character was way off the mark.

With my old group, there was actually a case or two of stats being tweaked mid-game if something was just plain wrong.

~~~~~

As an aside, I've finally worked out who you are (I think). Took me long enough!

(I've just remembered a comment you made about a lack of civilians for 28mm games, so now I've got ideas for a butchery project to re-purpose all the Empire militia and High Elf archer parts I don't need any more. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Gideon

It's a good thing, of course!  ;D

As for who I am... well that depends on who you think I may be!  :P

I am fairly happy with where the stats are at the moment; I am going to rework the background to bring it up to 013.M42 (which suits me quite well actually, as my 40K armies are all set in 013.M42 anyway) and work on profiling the remaining three main members of his warband before I start thrashing out Ryazan Jall's retinue.
In nomine Imperator Dei!